Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Personal Holy Grail is up for sale...

What's Hot

Comments

• Oops no offence intended!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not go and try it? It'll either kill or cure you! You might be able to strike a deal ... 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12055
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4784
    Nope - &  although I love Mick Ralphs (RIP Mick) and Bad Company, I certainly wouldn't pay £25k for that even if I had   a couple of million £'s! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    OK.....so...

Here's a video I'd never seen before with some great close ups of the guitar. It's got the PAF still in place, a Gretsch volume knob and a coil split switch in between the knobs...SO....the guitar on sale looks to be less and less like the guitar I covet and more a sum of some of the parts I covet and some replacements along the way.....it's suddenly much less appealing...

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Nope - &  although I love Mick Ralphs (RIP Mick) and Bad Company, I certainly wouldn't pay £25k for that even if I had   a couple of million £'s! 
    He's not dead @Voxman...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
    miserneil said:
    OK.....so...

Here's a video I'd never seen before with some great close ups of the guitar. It's got the PAF still in place, a Gretsch volume knob and a coil split switch in between the knobs...SO....the guitar on sale looks to be less and less like the guitar I covet and more a sum of some of the parts I covet and some replacements along the way.....it's suddenly much less appealing...

If that’s the case then I’m even more angry and annoyed by their antics.  Some people just don’t know how to be honest  :anguished: 
    tFB Trader
    @John_P ;Yes....hardly ‘internally/externally original’ is it... :angry: 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Neil, don't get snowblind here...remember whom you're considering starting a narrative with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    I seem to remember a photo in guitarist a few years ago with mick standing on top of that guitar, wonder if the imprint from his Cuban heels is visible!
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    @john_r Different guitar John, that one's a '57....

@ourmaninthenorth Absolutely right Paul, on closer inspection I'd wager the only parts that are 'Ralphs Mott/Bad Co era' are the Body, Neck & Tuners. So I'm out. 

What a rollercoaster of 
    emotion this last 24 hours has been! Hey ho, at least my lad will still get some pigs in blankets with his findus crispy pancakes this christmas day....
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Honestly 

play it. If as a guitar it’s worth the money to you buy it. 

If its only worth the money to you because of who played it. Play it and pass. 

And don’t pay anything for artist association, unless it’s Hendrix, Clapton etc. You’ll lose money as generations change. 

Im a massive fan of vintage guitars and they are worth it to me. But know the market price and stick to it. 

As i said if when you play it ‘it’s the one’ you won’t regret selling everything to buy it. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    has he not recovered fully from his stroke then do you think...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    has he not recovered fully from his stroke then do you think...?
    I hear reports to the contrary unfortunately.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited December 2017
    for those not familiar with the sound of this Esquire here is one of the most excellent solo's played on it ...

Here is the Tab (sectionalised) too if you want to emulate.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2eywcya.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

All valid points but the overriding factor is, how could I buy a guitar off someone who can’t spell Mott The Hoople properly??

@miserneil... I'm not sure that's the guitar you're after.

I think the M Ralphs that played for Mot the Hoople was a car mechanic. Different guy altogether.

• mortmort Frets: 720
    I always lusted after Overend's bass and Hunter's maltese cross.... Teles were very boring to a 12 year old!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    edited December 2017
    Disappointed with this thread. I mean, it’s 2017 and if you want something that is massively out of reach then you simply must provide your x-factor like back story as to why it will change your life and then crowdfund it.

You owe it to yourself to have this £25k guitar, you deserve it, I mean why should you go without!

But no, instead all we see is a sensible grown-up approach. Disappointed.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Never meet your heroes. Or so they say.

Personally, I wouldn't. If it means selling everything then it's a risk too far. Imagine if it played like a dog. Imagine if it just didn't sound right. Imagine how much you will worry and fret about it at every single gig. Every time you put it in the car. Every time you take your eye off it.

I always wanted a 1961 slab board precision - James Jamerson style. One came up recently - one of his actual basses. Knackered, well loved and clapped out. But it was his tho. 

I did play a '61 when I was on the lookout for my vintage P - it looked totally right. It had everything. It was just gorgeous. But it was a monstrosity to play. It nearly put me off pre-CBS precisions completely. 

Few weeks later I tried a '64 and it's now mine. It was the polar opposite to play. I don't think I will ever play a nicer bass. I wouldn't swap it for an earlier P, or for anything else regardless of who owned it.

You are a musician - buy for how an instrument sounds in your hands, not for how it sounded in someone else's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am not sure about Esquires, but Mick Ralphs has had a lot of Les Pauls and a lot a guitars over the years.

Even if photographs and video were to suggest  a decent match I cannot think what would be acceptable provenance other than a brief meeting with Mick Ralphs with guitar in hand. I am very sorry to hear that Mick is in a care home.