Bubble and squeak?

What's Hot
What’s the definitive?

Or indeed IS there a definitive version?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Only use organic bubbles.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    A portion made in 59
  • Generally whatever left over veg you have, but I would say must include, potato, carrot, onion cabbage as a minimum.   Left over roast spuds work well chopped or lightly mashed with the rest of the veg and with and egg to bind.   Cook in oil and butter for as long as possible.  Some caramelisation of the onion is desirable.   Anything else you have at hand to throw in is a bonus.   Spouts work particularly well.  

• I pile in everything leftover from a roast dinner and it always seems to taste good. Roast potatoes, all veg, yorkshire puddings, stuffing the lot. Pour in leftover gravy into a big mixing bowl and chill overnight. Next day I chop it all up with a sharp knife and fork, add generous amounts of salt & pepper and then fry a thick panful in frying pan slowly for ages and turn it over frequently mixing in the burnt crispy bottom. Lovely!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I pile in everything leftover from a roast dinner and it always seems to taste good. Roast potatoes, all veg, yorkshire puddings, stuffing the lot. Pour in leftover gravy into a big mixing bowl and chill overnight. Next day I chop it all up with a sharp knife and fork, add generous amounts of salt & pepper and then fry a thick panful in frying pan slowly for ages and turn it over frequently mixing in the burnt crispy bottom. Lovely!
    Sounds like a dry stew to me..
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I pile in everything leftover from a roast dinner and it always seems to taste good. Roast potatoes, all veg, yorkshire puddings, stuffing the lot. Pour in leftover gravy into a big mixing bowl and chill overnight. Next day I chop it all up with a sharp knife and fork, add generous amounts of salt & pepper and then fry a thick panful in frying pan slowly for ages and turn it over frequently mixing in the burnt crispy bottom. Lovely!
    Leftover gravy? That's just wrong.
  • Kilgore said:
    There's no such thing is there?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Kilgore said:
    Make it properly and leftover gravy is a delight
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16757
    must have burnt bits.

I tend to mash mine all up and form it into a kinda loose patty. not too mashed though, it needs some texture.

anything can go in it, but please not kale!!   

I have also been known to include shredded yorkshire pudding in it

this mornings was roast potatoes, carrot, broccoli and sprouts with an unhealthy amount of butter, salt and pepper mixed in before it was mashed and fried

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything really as long as it's potato based.

My mother would do the Sunday roast and set aside potato and veg and gravy and meat that became Monday night bubble and squeak. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I thinking fried onion is a prerequisite here? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    Kilgore said:
    Not in our house there isn’t. My wife drinks any leftover gravy out of the jug. And I always thought she was a posh bird. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never heard of them.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    boogieman said:
    Kilgore said:
    Not in our house there isn’t. My wife drinks any leftover gravy out of the jug. And I always thought she was a posh bird. 
    If she was posh she'd be drinking it out of a gravy boat.  ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    how very dare the French accuse our cuisine as bland and tasteless when we have such clever culinary delicacies as Toad in the Hole and Bubbles...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    how very dare the French accuse our cuisine as bland and tasteless when we have such clever culinary delicacies as Toad in the Hole and Bubbles...!
    I seem to remember from school  Napoleons favourite breakfast was fried potatoes onions and garlic.  Halfway towards a good bubble & squeak

It’s one I often do in honour of my French heritage (pre1066).  

Chuck in some chunks of chorizo and/or bacon and serve with some hot sauce and a fried egg.... then it truly is the breakfast of Emperors
  • I thinking fried onion is a prerequisite here? 
    Yes I'd have thought so
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself