Helix routing question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    I think it's doable if you have a mono monitor feed and mono ambient mic.
    I was thinking the same as I read the thread- any reason those *need* to be stereo? 
    No reason. I guess I was just exploring the outer limits of the Helix’s routing flexibility. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7507
    Cool.

Is the boundary mic to get some room atmosphere in the in-ears? 

Red ones are better. 
    Yes, that’s it. Stereo would seem more important for the room ambience than for the feed from the PA mixer, if only one or the other were possible. But in an ideal world, stereo for both would be good! 

I have a feeling that the full scenario could be achieved with the help of some hardware patching and use if the headphone monitoring facility on the Helix. But the manual doesn’t seem (to me, at least) to be absolutely clear on some things. No matter, I found it an interesting thought experiment...
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    smigeon said:
    Yes, that’s it. Stereo would seem more important for the room ambience than for the feed from the PA mixer, if only one or the other were possible. But in an ideal world, stereo for both would be good! 

I have a feeling that the full scenario could be achieved with the help of some hardware patching and use if the headphone monitoring facility on the Helix. But the manual doesn’t seem (to me, at least) to be absolutely clear on some things. No matter, I found it an interesting thought experiment...
    Unless you are wearing the boundary mic stereo is weird in IEM
    you move but ambient noise doesn’t 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    smigeon said:

Unless you are wearing the boundary mic stereo is weird in IEM
    you move but ambient noise doesn’t 
    That's interesting and kind of makes sense - based on experience I assume? I have experience of neither mono nor stereo in that situation - but without thinking about it much, assumed stereo would inherently be better.

Presumably, you'd want stereo for the feed from the PA mixer, though?? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    90% of the time PA mixes are done in mono.  Unless everyone was stood dead centre the stereo wouldn't work
    John_A said:
    90% of the time PA mixes are done in mono.  Unless everyone was stood dead centre the stereo wouldn't work
    We’ve always done our PA monitoring (speakers, not IEM) with multiple channels - e.g. more of my voice and my guitar in the monitor speaker nearest to me. I assumed people would do similar with IEMs???
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    smigeon said:
    John_A said:
    We’ve always done our PA monitoring (speakers, not IEM) with multiple channels - e.g. more of my voice and my guitar in the monitor speaker nearest to me. I assumed people would do similar with IEMs???
    Most iems use 2 channels in mono
    you can have the vocal mix and the band mix then mix between them with a blend control on the receiver