Help identifying old poweramp

What's Hot
sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Dad found this amongst all his random tat.

JPS SC100 - 100 watt slave power amp,

https://imgur.com/gallery/vjucj

Anyone got any info? more to the point is it worth anything or is it destined for the skip?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    Something old, generic and probably fairly well-made and reliable. It's big, looks heavy and will no doubt contain a big transformer and discrete components. From the size of it it's likely to be a genuine 100W.

If it works it's useful as a power amp or a backup amp. Probably worth no more than about £50, but I wouldn't throw it away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Cheers @ICBM,

seem to remember it was in a box with an old HH amplifier, which got sold.

if its just a power amp, could it be used to power speakers for Helix?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    sgosden said:

Yes.

The question is whether it's in good working order - with something of this age, leaking/failed filter caps are quite likely. Probably worth a look inside before you power it up - I should have mentioned that before really!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ICBM said:
    sgosden said:

Yes.

The question is whether it's in good working order - with something of this age, leaking/failed filter caps are quite likely. Probably worth a look inside before you power it up - I should have mentioned that before really!

No worries , taking it apart for a nose/check was first on my list :)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Just be a little bit careful when opening it up, even though it is SS, there could still be +/- 75volts in there, with very large power supply filter caps - certainly enough to blow the end off a screwdriver  :)