Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

which Xmas song holds the most memories for you?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
They asked this the other day on the radio, I thought about it and I was quite surprised by my answer - Wham Last Christmas. I was at art college at the time it came out, the best 3 years of my life, and that song and also the video just seem to take me to a warm, nice place.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Zat You Santa Claus? by Louis Armstrong. 

Reminds me of good laughs with my Nan who is no longer with us. 

When I was a kid the Slade one was my by far my favourite and still makes me feel a bit nostalgic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited December 2017
    I remember going up to see a girlfriend in London at Christmas in the 90's. She was working at Phantom of The Opera whilst studying at Uni. I sat in the control booth and watched the Christmas Eve show then we all went for a drinks with the cast & crew after the show. 

After drinks we nipped into HMV to pick up some last minute presents and they were belting out Fairytale of New York to accompany our buzz. We were still humming it on the train south an hour later.

Lovely memories!  
  • Oi to the world... by No doubt (it's a rancid cover). Just really enjoyed that period of my life 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

"There's no-one quite like Grandma"

OK I'll get me coat. :(

• Have yourself a merry little christmas- I was forced to learn it on classical guitar for a school carol concert. I've hated it ever since.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    That one by Kirsty McColl and Shane McGowan because it's the only Xmas record I've ever been given as a present.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72559
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love.

(Yes, I know it's not really a Christmas song. /pedant)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited December 2017
    I like this Frankie Goes to Hollywood one that was a Christmas #1. The Power of Love. 

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    It's Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody for me. It reminds me of the first school Christmas party I went to with my now wife when we were 16 and that was the last song played that night. That song still reminds me of us being those teenage lovers even though we've now been married 12years.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28656
    Still got to be Nerfherder's "I've got a boner for Christmas".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. Been covered by many bands, it's a good jaunty little song.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    has to be - -the imagery set in stone from singing this in the choir aged 8 what's did it!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. Been covered by many bands, it's a good jaunty little song.
    Here you go ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Slade and Wizzard first time around. I was 6 or 7 and hadn't got a care in the world. Just the sheer excitement of Christmas. Good times.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Slade's 'Merry Christmas'.

As much as I'm fed up with it, Noddy's voice is amazing.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4730

Slade's 'Merry Christmas'.

As much as I'm fed up with it, Noddy's voice is amazing.

This.  It takes me back to the seventies when I was younger and life was an awful lot simpler.  It makes me a bit sad too, that those days are long gone.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14335
    tFB Trader
    Slade - I was 13 and recall it on TOTP - first big Christmas song for me and straight in at #1 - followed earlier big hits that year - Slade and T-Rex became my inspiration to play guitar
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Slade too, unsurprisingly.

Although I love Jim Reeves Christmas polka and Elvis Why can't every day be like Christmas they're pretty unlistenable for me since my Mum and Dad died.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    edited December 2017
    Fairytale of New York reminds me of my uncle who passed away last summer. He was a big Pogues fan.

Rockin Around The Christmas Tree By Brenda Lee. Always reminds me watching the Home Alone film as a 7 year old when it was released (1990!)  which I still have to watch when it’s on tv around Christmas time.