Probably a dumb question but...

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9673
edited December 2017 in Guitar
As already mentioned in another thread, my new year project is to ‘Esquire’ (any noun can be verbed) an MIM Std Tele.

My first thought was to keep the six-saddle bridge so the guitar could be properly intonated. However I’ve just yesterday played a Tele with a three-barrel bridge and was surprised at just how comfortable the lipped sides are. So, now the plan is to fit a Gotoh BS-TC1 (or TC1S) bridge which looks as if it should drop right in.

Anyway, the dumb question...

The replacement bridge is supplied with mounting screws. However, since Teles come from Mexico, Japan, and the US I guess I shouldn't presume that the supplied screws will match the originals. Am I best just reusing the originals? See, told you it was a dumb question but then this is my first project.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    It’s not something I would worry about.   My preference would be to use the original screws in the original holes as any differences in thread will cause some  wear on the holes.   But that isn’t really going to be a problem

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9673
    Thanks @WezV - pretty much what I’d guessed but wanted confirmation.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Original screws in the original holes!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Maynehead said:
    +1. Keep 'em tight and don't overuse the wood. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    merlin said:
    Maynehead said:
    +1. Keep 'em tight and don't overuse the wood. 
    This always, unless there is a good reason not to.

Also, always make sure the screw 'finds' the thread of the hole by turning it backwards until it drops in - if it cuts a new thread it will drastically weaken the wood.

OK, this doesn't matter that much on a through-body Tele bridge because the screws don't really take that much force, but it very much does on neck screws...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks all.

ICBM said:
    ...this doesn't matter that much on a through-body Tele bridge because the screws don't really take that much force...
    I must admit to wondering whether through-body stringing was an engineering solution by Leo so that the strings would pull the bridge towards the body rather towards the headstock.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Different versions of the machined MIM bridge position the fastening screws in different places.

Recent ones use four screws in the same positions as a vintage-style American stamped steel bridge.

Older versions use three screws in approximately the same positions as an American Standard machined bridge.

The through stringing holes may also be in different positions.

Since the vintage style bridge covers a smaller area than the modern type, the change may reveal differentially faded finish and/or compression marks in the urethane.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Since the vintage style bridge covers a smaller area than the modern type, the change may reveal differentially faded finish and/or compression marks in the urethane.
    Have to admit this is a slight concern. However a few marks or a bit of faded paint probably only adds to the 'vibe'.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Like the bit of David Gilmour's black Stratocaster where the Kahler cavity used to be. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Like the bit of David Gilmour's black Stratocaster where the Kahler cavity used to be. :)
    No excuse for that kind of lazy scar!