Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Passage of time that shocks you..

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    True, but I'll bet that vinyl decomposes too - it's just a question of time.  I'm no chemist but I guess it will eventually go ultra brittle and crumble.  Giant gold discs like that on Voyager 1 would probably last, but the data density would be terrible and the cost astronomical.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    Regular refreshing of digital media could work but is reliant on every generation diligently doing so.  That's a big ask.  Wars, politics, finance and just plain human error could erase (or edit...) history.  
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    DVD is the future, Digital Vellum Disc.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It'll be ten years in May since my cousin was murdered. I'm now 35, he was 25 (a week after his birthday).
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4923
    It's amazing how rudimentary things seem when you see 70s TV, phone boxes, cars, etc.

I would say that where we are now is (apart from the space travel and flying cars) pretty close to some visions of the future then.
  • prowla said:
    It's amazing how rudimentary things seem when you see 70s TV, phone boxes, cars, etc.

I would say that where we are now is (apart from the space travel and flying cars) pretty close to some visions of the future then.
    The ubiquity of the mobile phone is the thing nobody seemed to guess at even though they thought we’d have amazing androids and flying cars by now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Re passages of time that shock you- I never like the rola tom into, but the rest is great.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    I wonder which had the greater impact - passing from 19th to 20th centuries, or from 20th to 21st?

Early 20th : no cars, no electricity in every home, no powered flight, no communication except telegraph and face-to-face...

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    prowla said:

The ubiquity of the mobile phone is the thing nobody seemed to guess at even though they thought we’d have amazing androids and flying cars by now. 
    I put this down to Star Trek, everyone thought they'd have to wait a few centuries before getting Communicators.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    Nitefly said:
    I wonder which had the greater impact - passing from 19th to 20th centuries, or from 20th to 21st?

Early 20th : no cars, no electricity in every home, no powered flight, no communication except telegraph and face-to-face...
    19th to 20th was a bigger change I think.

I gave this answer recently when I was asked what I thought the most important event in the history of the modern world was...

1831: Michael Faraday's discovery of electromagnetic induction, and hence opening the door to electricity as a viable power source.

*Everything* we take for granted in the modern world relies on electricity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    It'll be ten years in May since my cousin was murdered. I'm now 35, he was 25 (a week after his birthday).
    A hard one to forget I imagine.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • 20th anniversary issue of this came out this year

Might not be many people who are into it but it still stands up today
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• rlw said:
    It'll be ten years in May since my cousin was murdered. I'm now 35, he was 25 (a week after his birthday).
    A hard one to forget I imagine.
    I think about him most days but it's only now and again the passage of time since the event dawns on me. The fact it'll be ten years in May is crazy, and even more unbelievable/sad is that he'll always be 25, though time has moved on.
  • Time catches up so quick! I am five years younger than when my parents died. The thought horrifies me.
  • I moved to London as a teenage and am now six years older than my dad was when I left. Also six years older than my nan was when I was born.
  • I'm 54 later this month.

Feel a hundred years older, and act as though I'm 12.

Fook time...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Can’t believe that 10 days holiday has just gone by so quickly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Before Christmas, somebody at work was moaning that he was going to buy the same present for somebody that he bought 20 years ago, which cost four times as much.  IIRC, one of the teachers at Uni said that inflation (etc) means that the value of money halves every ten years, so what my colleague paid is a fair price IMHO.

Along those lines, 30 years ago I'd travel to my first job, listening to The Cult's Electric album on tape, in a Toshiba Walkman-type thing that cost £60, which lasted as long as the batteries did.  Right now I'm sitting in bed downloading programmes from iPlayer to my phone, which cost less than a Sony Walkman did, so I can watch them on he bus to work. There's an app that tells me when the next bus will be and I can call or text the missus if running late.  Modern phones are like Ziggy from Quantum Leap!