Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage Reissues?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• On the subject of the neck stickiness, it’s not that the finish is thick as you’ll see from this pic (contrast between sanded and non isn’t massive) it’s just something in the new new nitro on them. Now mine is cut back, it’s a wonderful neck on my AV65 Jazzmaster. Really chunky. 

http://i.imgur.com/tmdlP4O.jpg

And yes, the body finish is THIN. Few dings in mine now. 

http://i.imgur.com/SXqrzdo.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Just got a new Jazzmaster AV 65 (Olympic White). @GavRichList I immediately noticed the stickiness of the neck, I keep wiping it with a cloth thinking it's got sweat on it. I guess I have to get used to that. Have I got a future of chips and dings to look forward to?
  • Philtre said:
    Just got a new Jazzmaster AV 65 (Olympic White). @GavRichList I immediately noticed the stickiness of the neck, I keep wiping it with a cloth thinking it's got sweat on it. I guess I have to get used to that. Have I got a future of chips and dings to look forward to?
    Yep! You could always just matte the finish out with some 0000 wire wool. @WezV has chapter and verse on neck sanding. Personally speaking, I’ll never not cut a new neck back again - the difference is night and day. I really fancy a blackguard tele too - the AV52s have been a constant temptation. Annoying that fender have apparently just ceased production on the American Vintage series. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love my 52 AVRI. I'm looking for the strat equivalent now.

I don't think it sounds any better or worse than the custom shop equivalents I've played. I ended up getting this because I wasn't keen on heavy relic's and all the Nocasters I saw at the time look like they were in a timeshare between Rory Gallagher and the Ramones. 

I must echo what @richardhomer said...

The thin skin nitro flakes off at the slightest bump. It wears more like really thin poly than nitro!

It's pretty accurate to an original one even using the same screws!

https://i.imgur.com/RhAqj54.jpg
    I bloody love it when you post that pic! 
    Ha! Cheers!

The photgapher should have watermarked it - I've seen it being used all over the internet now!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    Has anyone had one of the maple necks refretted yet? Would hate to be the one to remove those frets with that amount and type of neck lacquer. 
    I really like the whole concept of the vintage series they really are the most vintage correct post Leo Fenders yet, but I was so disappointed by the ones I tried. The finish although thin showed so little of the grain on the ash bodied guitars and it was clear from the off that Fender had messed up as they were flaking off in transit from the U.S. A Fender dealer told me he'd never seen so much B stock with them as a result. I did however see a couple that had been taken and refinished from scratch and they were much better. Chad Underwood did a run of them for a US dealer too. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Have you ever seen/considered the Custom Shop ‘Custom Classic’? This is mine, with a gorgeous playing figured maple soft V neck. The trem is modern, however, but picked it up 3/4 years ago for the price (then) of an American Standard. For me it’s almost all about the neck: playing strat I’ve ever held.

https://imgur.com/a/QklWk
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    I have the 64 AV Tele and its a great guitar. Also have a roadworn mexican 60s jazzmaster but the previous owner put an AV65 Jazzmaster neck on it.
    Both have really nice necks - I got both second hand, you can pick up some good deals once you are prepared to watch and wait for one at the right price.
  • @SimpleSimon to answer your question, it seems you should really try out the American Vintage and Custom Shop guitars. They are all very consistently well built but have a different feel and specs. It will come down to your personal preference. Or get both! 
    Plenty of opinion and food for thought here- thanks guys. As @RandallFlagg suggests here i need to get out and try some more of the expensive Fenders

• As previously mentioned it all comes down to the individual guitar. I've had great CS guitars and mediocre ones too, the same can be said for the AV series. Personally, if you're looking for vintage spec I'd go with the AV line, the only detractor being that the finish is very delicate and doesn't seem to bind to the wood the same way it would to an actual vintage strat or tele. Fender's price increase is also frustrating. The AV line used to be a great buy at around £1200 new but the current prices are a bit steep in my opinion. The custom shop do, more often than not, make a fantastic instrument, however I have never been able to bond with an instrument of such expense as it never seems to quite live up to the price tag. Overall if I had to choose I'd go AV. Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14322
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    try a Scotchbrite 3M Scourer from Halfords - looks like a Brillo pad - 5-10 rubs, or more if required and you can take the gloss down to more of a played in satin vibe - Nothing to stop you going further but somehow looks out of place with a worn neck and a shiny gloss body - Try a bit and do more if required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited January 2018
    cannot understand why there has been no 62 RI (the edge bound) model for  years now... only as a MIJ or a Squire
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    try a Scotchbrite 3M Scourer from Halfords - looks like a Brillo pad - 5-10 rubs, or more if required and you can take the gloss down to more of a played in satin vibe - Nothing to stop you going further but somehow looks out of place with a worn neck and a shiny gloss body - Try a bit and do more if required
    Thanks!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 560
    I once had a 57 AVRI Stratocaster with a sticky neck, it drove me nuts and eventually I sold it on, pity really as it was surf green and it looked and sounded amazing. The neck on the 97 AVRI 62 Stratocaster I have now is a different animal all together . . I dont know if its nitro or poly but its a joy to play, that said a satin neck is always preferred  . . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I went through this myself a couple of years ago. I ended up with a cs 62' relic that I absolutely love. I bought it while on offer from coda so it only worked out about £300 more than the American vintage series ones. Luckily they had a load from each range in the shop so I got to try them all next to each other. 
    I found the majority of cs guitars were better than the vintage ones but some of them were excellent. While I liked the idea of the vintage correct 7.25 rad board with tiny frets. In reality I just preferred the more modern 9.5 rad that most of the cs guitars had. 
    A guitar that really stood out though was the Eric Johnson strat I tried. It was the 56' (or is it 57') 2 tone burst, maple board model that I played. So maybe if you can find one of those it would be worth a shot. That's if you don't mind a 12' rad neck.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    I’ve played and owned a tonne of both av and cs. For me, I’ve found cs consistently better with ethe exception of the 64 tele and 65 strat which are both stunning. The finish sure is thin though and prone to flaking
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    As others have said, individual guitars can vary.  I have a great AVRI 62 Strat but I've played some others that were nowhere near as good as mine.

I've said it in other threads in the past, but it's my opinion that you can find great ones in any of the lines - including the Mexican ones.  I don't own a Tele at the moment, but I've owned 3 in the past.  If had the option of having any of the 3 back, it would be the Mexican made Baja not the Custom Shop 52 heavy relic.  I've played another Baja that was worse than my brother-in-law's Squier though.

You do need to try the individual guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom