Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage Reissues?

What's Hot
Fender have so many lines these days im a little confused. Im after a nice vintage style Telecaster and Strat, one of each. Are these the real deal vintage appointed models or do i need to move up to Custom Shop? Having been a 50's Baja fan is the '52 a real step up? Simarlarly would be after a v shpe maple neck strat so presume the '56 over the '59. I presume these both have a nitro finish too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a Rosewood board 59 American Vintage Strat - the ‘flash coat’ finish was unbelievably delicate. Looking at it would chip it - yet the neck was very heavily finished and somewhat ‘sticky’.

Overall, it was a nicely made guitar - but didn’t sound particularly great. I ended up part-exing it for the 2006 CS 56 Relic in my profile pick - which is a fantastic guitar in every respect.

The difference in price between ‘Used CS’ and ‘New American Vintage’ is not huge. And a used CS guitar holds its value, should you decide it’s not for you...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14589
    All of the Fender vintage re-issue instruments that should have nitro-cellulose finishes do. Most of the CBS-era re-issues are polyurethane (and plenty of it!).

The one deviant from historical accuracy that I have experienced is the AVRI '72 Telecaster Custom. For reasons known only to Fender, this is of the wrong outline and finished in nitro-cellulose when it should be poly. I shall not rekindle the WR humbucker debate here.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I can’t recommend early MIJ Fender Strats and Teles enough. Would save you some pennies too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As usual, this will be a case of try a bunch and buy the one(s) that satisfy you the most.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Used USA vintage Reissue guitars are usually a great buy, for some reason they aren’t surrounded by the same hype as the MiJ reissue guitars and consequently go for reasonable prices. Best used bargain out there, don’t let anyone tell you CS is better, it’s not, just different and neither model  is an original vintage guitar. Side by side there’s not much in it....

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited December 2017
    Hmm migt be case of getting down to see Mark @guitars4you then....

• I've never been a huge fan of the avri series for various reasons (I do really like the neck profiles though).
    @richardhomer pretty much hit the nail on the head with used CS prices
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 2015 AV52 Tele and it's really good. I much prefer it to the Baja I had. It also feels more authentic than some of CS models as it has 7.5 radius and smaller frets, many of the CS models have flatter radius and bigger frets. Not sure how important that is, but for a proper vintage Tele feel it is essential for me and I wouldn't change it. You also get a repro strap, lead and leaflet that is an exact copy of the 50s one that came with the guitars back then apparently.

The neck pickup on the post 2012 AV52 sounds really good. The neck was a little sticky feeling at times for the first few months but that soon passed.

The neck pickup on the post 2012 AV52 sounds really good. 
    That is because it is a custom shop Alnico III Nocaster pickup. :) 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    Koa said:
    Used USA vintage Reissue guitars are usually a great buy, for some reason they aren’t surrounded by the same hype as the MiJ reissue guitars and consequently go for reasonable prices. Best used bargain out there, don’t let anyone tell you CS is better, it’s not, just different and neither model  is an original vintage guitar. Side by side there’s not much in it....

Sorry...I'm going to tell you....the Custom Shop guitars blow those flash coated sticky neck lacquer vintage re-issues out the water. They do have nice case candy though....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love my 52 AVRI. I'm looking for the strat equivalent now.

I don't think it sounds any better or worse than the custom shop equivalents I've played. I ended up getting this because I wasn't keen on heavy relic's and all the Nocasters I saw at the time look like they were in a timeshare between Rory Gallagher and the Ramones. 

I must echo what @richardhomer said...

The thin skin nitro flakes off at the slightest bump. It wears more like really thin poly than nitro!

It's pretty accurate to an original one even using the same screws!

https://i.imgur.com/RhAqj54.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1974
    Apparently the 12th fret inlays on the '52 are actually those of a '53 and for that reason, I would be out. The numbers on the knobs of the Jazzmaster are also the wrong way round!!

On a serious note, I've owned the older '57 Strat and '62 Tele and I've found Tokai's TST and TTE Models to be the same, if not better. The poly vs nitro discussion falls a bit flat with me, as it has little effect on a well built instrument.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1974
    edited December 2017

I don't think it sounds any better or worse than the custom shop equivalents I've played. I ended up getting this because I wasn't keen on heavy relic's and all the Nocasters I saw at the time look like they were in a timeshare between Rory Gallagher and the Ramones. 

I must echo what @richardhomer said...

The thin skin nitro flakes off at the slightest bump. It wears more like really thin poly than nitro!

https://i.imgur.com/RhAqj54.jpg
    I bloody love it when you post that pic! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The neck pickup on the post 2012 AV52 sounds really good. 
    That is because it is a custom shop Alnico III Nocaster pickup. :) 
    Is it? I didn't know that, never really been able to find out much about the change in the AV52 pickups at the 2013 refresh.

unknowingly I must really like alnico III as my Custom Shop Les Paul has alnico III custom buckers and I love the neck pickup on that too.

• All this talk of 52 style Teles...I need to go pour over Nacho's The Blackguard Book now with some Kleenex...

• @SimpleSimon to answer your question, it seems you should really try out the American Vintage and Custom Shop guitars. They are all very consistently well built but have a different feel and specs. It will come down to your personal preference. Or get both! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7218
    edited December 2017
    Hinted at above, but post 2012 American Vintage series are a noticeable step up from those previous. Generally lighter, nicer fit and finish, better sounding pickups, more accurate paint jobs. The neck profiles are also far more accurate and individual to each model, instead of a generic C. I too found it a bit sticky, but I cut the finish back on them as a preference anyway. 

And the AV52 had the matte and shiny finish on the bridge plate either side of the pickup just like the originals too, which is a nice attention to detail.