Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When did you decide you didnt want to be Yngwie Malmsteen ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
     I still remember he picked up an out of tune guitar and tuned by ear it in about a second during the start of the first number.

Amazing!
     =) 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    When I saw his name and couldn’t pronounce it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Yeah... But have you felt the fucking fury? 

:]
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    Its just astonishing that YJM has been telling the same joke for 34 years and people are still listening, mind you i did see him get off a plane to not a sinner of a fan in sight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3062
    Never wanted to be Yngwie. I wanted decent chops to play what I wanted but I realised a number of years ago that you can't be THE best, you can only be yourself. Trying to beat some one or copy some one seems like such a waste of time in life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    He was always my fave player and I love 95% of the songs up to and including Fire and Ice album(there are some awesome songs on later albums too).  Maybe I have shitty taste, but I just love his songs, would love them even if there were no solos there........
    People say he`s a one trick pony, but that one trick is the best trick in the world to me.
    Couldn`t care less if he`s an asshole...........
    I decided not to be like him at a pretty early age, when I realized I have nowhere near his level of talent or dedication.
    All the talking about YJM remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger.......there were a lot of people telling he is too much, how they`d never want to be like him.....and what was his reply? He said:"don`t worry, you won`t".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've always seen the speed shred style as more akin to athletics than art; as in, it's about excelling physically and trying to be the fastest rather than to inspire an emotion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    warhead said:
    He was always my fave player and I love 95% of the songs up to and including Fire and Ice album(there are some awesome songs on later albums too).  Maybe I have shitty taste, but I just love his songs, would love them even if there were no solos there........
    People say he`s a one trick pony, but that one trick is the best trick in the world to me.
    I decided not to be like him at a pretty early age, when I realized I have nowhere near his level of talent or dedication.
    All the talking about YJM remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger.......there were a lot of people telling he is too much, how they`d never want to be like him.....and what was his reply? He said:"don`t worry, you won`t".

No such thing as shitty taste, we all like different things :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    thegummy said:
    warhead said:

No such thing as shitty taste, we all like different things :)
    If you like a lot of Poison and Bon Jovi for example, then yeah, you do have a shitty taste ;-) And I do.......
    Don`t know....I simply find different things I like when listening to YJM, SRV or Trey Azagthoth.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3096
    I like him more now than when I was a kid. I didn't see how much he'd moved the instrument on until the Troy Grady series. It must have been amazing when he first emerged. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Within about 30 seconds of first hearing him. I was lucky, my very first albums (tapes actually) were Eliminator by ZZ Top and 12 Gold Bars by Quo. I had to find the flashier stuff later via Kerrang and Metal Hammer and I never had much time for it outside of the first 4 VH records.
  • I like him more now than when I was a kid. I didn't see how much he'd moved the instrument on until the Troy Grady series. It must have been amazing when he first emerged. 
    it was, only player i had heard with that level of skill was al di meola , problem is he kept churning out the same album time after time and it got staler than a pan loaf left out in a desert.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    In fairness, when it comes to being themselves most guitarist don't move on a lot .... BB King played exactly the same licks for 40 years or more, as did Gary Moore, even the God of guitar EVH doesn't really do anything now he wasn't doing in the early eighties. 
    Course all the above have good songs though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    The moment I first heard him play :lol: , reinforced by then hearing him murdering Spanish Castle Magic. Just to put into context, I did at the time like some of Vai, Van Halen and Satriani's stuff, so it wasn't that I was just anti-widdle. However, for me Malmsteen delivered music at it's most sterile, soulless and joyless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I've always had a soft spot for speedy widdle shred.. i like Vai, love Gilbert, Satch is fun, Jason Becker & Marty Friedman playing Speed Metal Symphony set something off in a younger me... but I've never really been into Malmsteen.
    On the other hand i've also always had a soft spot for Poison.. CC. Deville is my jam so not sure you can trust anything i say..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Was never into YJM, but this thread has reminded me to dig out some Jeff Healey, haven’t listened in years but he was a huge influence in my early guitar playing years.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    dindude said:
    Was never into YJM, but this thread has reminded me to dig out some Jeff Healey, haven’t listened in years but he was a huge influence in my early guitar playing years.
    Isnt it fabulous that a blind guy playing a squire strat horizontally placed on top of his thighs whilst seated could have such a profound influence.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Some years ago (I think it was) Guitar magazine put the speed gun on ten guitarists who folk had suggested were the fastest players.  It was a bit tongue in cheek but they devised a way of measuring notes per second.  IIRC Malmsteen didn't even make the top five. Interestingly, George Lynch came out on top, a guitarist who no-one to my knowledge ever mentions in this context today.   Randy Rhoads was up there, Paul Gilbert, and Zakk Wylde. 

Of course out of respect they left out the acknowledged king of speed, Nigel Tufnel.     

I don't find Malmsteen an appealing guitarist but not because I don't like fast stuff, eg John Lowery (John 5) is sheet hot but he's also a good tunesmith.  

Interestingly the fastest guitar player I've ever seen live is John Etheridge that guy can play as fast as anyone when he needs to but as Steve Cropper was fond of saying, Flash don't make Cash. 

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    dindude said:
    Isnt it fabulous that a blind guy playing a squire strat horizontally placed on top of his thighs whilst seated could have such a profound influence.
    Monster player. Ended up watching the movie Roadhouse way too much as a result. Actually worked out ok as the girl I had a thing for at the time could not get enough Swayze. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited January 2018
    Sassafras said:
     I still remember he picked up an out of tune guitar and tuned by ear it in about a second during the start of the first number.

Amazing!

I know what I meant, but fair game. I've only got myself to blame for that one

It's not a competition.