Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Low watt amps for home use - 1 watt or less

What's Hot
vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
edited January 2018 in Amps
Happy new year all!

For the new year, I'm looking to purchase a decent tube amp and need a little bit of advice. Ultimately, I am looking for something which sounds great clean but can also do nice over-driven tones (doesn't need to go too heavy as I only play blues and not to hard core rock). My budget is £800

Currently I have narrowed it down to the following amps for home use:

Vox AC4TV - can do 4w,  1w and .25w
Marshall 1 watt anniversary series - JTM1C - Plexi tones with 1w and 0.1w
Cornell Plexi 7  10inch  - can do 7w, 1.5w, 0.25w and 0.125w
Fender Blues Junior - Rat modified versions can power scale.

Also considered the Blackstar HT1R but not really a fan of the tone.

I've done a fair bit of research (reviews and youtube), but can't find these amps locally to try! (Either be sold out due to Xmas or niche).

Has anyone used any of these amps at home? Are they suitable? Are there any other power scaling amps I should consider?

Many thanks!

Edit: I thought I should make it clear, that the amp is really only for home use as I don't gig/perform and I don't really want to have to use a separate attenuator if possible (ie I'd prefer amps with built in power scaling or already modded)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    ZVex Nano

It's only 0.5W (max distorted) but through a decent speaker it's surprisingly loud and has a nice clean sound, although overdrive is really what it's designed for. The only problem with it is that the cooling fan noise can be irritating.

I was very disappointed with the 1W Marshalls, the Vox AC4TV sounded poor to me, and I don't like power scaling. Likewise I didn't like the Blackstar HT-1R enough to buy it, although it was actually the Blackstar I've disliked the least!

I sometimes wish I hadn't sold my original Nano, and I can't really justify the price of another one unfortunately...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    ZVex Nano

It's only 0.5W (max distorted) but through a decent speaker it's surprisingly loud and has a nice clean sound, although overdrive is really what it's designed for. The only problem with it is that the cooling fan noise can be irritating.

Thanks, I took a look at the Nano, and the sound to size ratio blew me away, unfortunately they don't seem to be widely sold and are pretty pricey.

Which 1w Marshalls have you tried? I have seen videos and a lot of the recordings are underwhelming, so it's really hard to judge.
  • I had the jtm1 and liked it but it wasn't necessarily that quiet, I sold it because I like having reverb. Here is a terrible recording of my terrible playing, please note the Foxy Lady bit is through an Electro Harmonix double muff fuzz...

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Which 1w Marshalls have you tried? I have seen videos and a lot of the recordings are underwhelming, so it's really hard to judge.
    JTM-1, JMP-1, DSL-1. The first two were very underwhelming and the DSL was just shit - even through a 4x12". I haven't come across the 800 or the JVM ones.

They're also not well enough made for the ludicrous prices they were when they first came out, although at the clearance prices (after two years the big dealers were still trying to get rid of them, which says it all really) they're maybe not so bad. But they just sound 'small' to me - I know they're only 1W, but they just don't sound loud or full even at that... I know what 1W can sound like through a good speaker, and these amps do not. The Blackstar totally blows them away, if you don't mind the actual tone!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    Out of this lot, I think the VOX AC4 sounds the best and is the most versatile by a country mile. But that's obviously down to lots of other variables including personal opinion, the way you play, other gear involved, etc.
    edited January 2018
    Another thing to bear in mind is that even with these lower wattage amps, the sound can get pretty loud once you find the sweet spot. While they often offer ways to bring the overall volume down, this almost always also affects the tone in one way or another.

Still, overdriving the AC4 a bit or running it clean-ish and adding an overdrive pedal is a thing of a beauty, especially with single coils! 
  • I had the jtm1 and liked it but it wasn't necessarily that quiet, I sold it because I like having reverb. Here is a terrible recording of my terrible playing, please note the Foxy Lady bit is through an Electro Harmonix double muff fuzz...

Thanks for posting this, the playing was fine and was really helpful in showing what the amp can do. Was it possible to get decent cleans out of the amp? A lot of reviews say it is a 1 trick pony and can only do overdriven. Did you use the amp in 0.1w mode? If so how did you find it?
    ICBM said:

JTM-1, JMP-1, DSL-1. The first two were very underwhelming and the DSL was just shit - even through a 4x12". I haven't come across the 800 or the JVM ones.

They're also not well enough made for the ludicrous prices they were when they first came out, although at the clearance prices (after two years the big dealers were still trying to get rid of them, which says it all really) they're maybe not so bad. But they just sound 'small' to me - I know they're only 1W, but they just don't sound loud or full even at that... I know what 1W can sound like through a good speaker, and these amps do not. The Blackstar totally blows them away, if you don't mind the actual tone!
    Thanks, maybe I need to revisit the Blackstar and play around with the controls more. I agree regarding the prices, they seem to be still pretty high in the used market.
    susbemol said:
    Another thing to bear in mind is that even with these lower wattage amps, the sound can get pretty loud once you find the sweet spot. While they often offer ways to bring the overall volume down, this almost always also affects the tone in one way or another.

Still, overdriving the AC4 a bit or running it clean-ish and adding an overdrive pedal is a thing of a beauty, especially with single coils! 
    Thanks, I know that the tone is usually better when the amp is pushed a little more and that power scaling affects this. There's just nothing like a cranked/pushed tube amp going into overdrive, unfortunately it's a massive challenge at lower volumes. I still need to find an AC4TV to try - I'm surprised its out of stock in Brum as I thought it would be a good seller.

Thanks for sharing, the playing was fine and was really helpful in showing me the sounds the amp can cover. How did you find the cleans? Most comments online seem to say that the amp can only do overdriven tones and is a one trick pony. How did you find the 0.1 watt mode? Do you think it would be useful for late night practice?
    ICBM said:

Thanks, I agree with the prices and build quality. Perhaps I need to revisit the Blackstar and play with the controls more...
    susbemol said:

Thanks, I agree, the AC4 is nice. I just have to find one locally to try, I've been surprised that its not been in stock at some of the stores locally. I know that power scaling with affect the sound, but it appears to be the only feasibile way of getting a decent overdriven sound from a tube amp at home. There's nothing quite like an overdriven/cranked amp... only challenge is to do it a sensible volumes.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
    edited January 2018
    I didn't really use the jtm clean as I only play strummy stuff clean (Jeff Buckley style) which it could not do, it did sound good for the rock stuff I like to murder (I mean play) but that is overdriven plus fuzz. That recording was me noodling through the 1 watt setting I think, though I usually used the 0.1w setting. They didn't seem to sound any different, just variation in volume. I think it cleaned up a bit with a roll back of the guitar volume but depends what you call clean and what sound you're after

I used to have the Vox ac4 and personally didn't like it that much. I think fairdeal in Birmingham normally have them but I could be wrong
    vincechu89 said:

Thanks, I agree, the AC4 is nice. I just have to find one locally to try, I've been surprised that its not been in stock at some of the stores locally. I know that power scaling with affect the sound, but it appears to be the only feasibile way of getting a decent overdriven sound from a tube amp at home. There's nothing quite like an overdriven/cranked amp... only challenge is to do it a sensible volumes.
    In my opinion an attenuator is better - which is what the AC4TV has, not power scaling. There's nothing to stop you using a much bigger, more sophisticated one with a low-power amp - it's just that the attenuator could then be a significant fraction of the cost of the amp! But if it gives you the sound you want...

For me personally the AC4 sounds quite congested and boxy, and worse when set to the lower-power modes, but that's a reflection of the very basic type of attenuator it has, and not all attenuators.

For me personally, given your budget I'd actually look for something like a used Mesa Express - bigger amps with proper EQ and good master volume controls can sound far better at low volume than cranked micro-power amps, to me. The idea of amps being "too loud" to use at home just because they are *capable* of being is something I just don't follow really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • "The idea of amps being "too loud" to use at home just because they are *capable* of being is something I just don't follow really"

Yes absolutely this, although I imagine space is a consideration for the OP? Like my Princeton is fine at home with an attenuator sound wise but I've nowhere to put it in my spare room
  • I have a Vox DA5 which has 1w and 0.5 watt options however my Kustom 72 Coupe valve amp can play quieter. The Vox reaches a certain level and then just cuts off if you try to go lower.
    This is actually the AC4C1 instead of the AC4TV but they are reasonably around the same ballpark soundwise. Sounds good to me.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at my little offering for sale ... has a master volume so can be tamed. Output valve can be swapped so it's only 1 watt too :-) 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/114497/danplifier-matchbox-3w-high-gain-amp-now-with-video
  • What kind of volumes are we talking? On-your-own-with-door-shut-and-neighbours-out or need-to-still-hear-the-TV sort of levels?

If the latter, Yamaha THR or Fender Mustang GT40. Perhaps a Katana Mini but I’m yet to hear one myself.

If the former....literally anything else ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    +1 for the Z Vex Nano. I've had quite a few tiny wattage amps and the Nano blows them all out of the water. An amazingly versatile little beastie considering it's only got a volume knob and a couple of switches. For me it's the perfect recording amp.
    I got mine off ebay for about £200.

Having said that, the Danplifier does looks really good.
    susbemol said:
    This is actually the AC4C1 instead of the AC4TV but they are reasonably around the same ballpark soundwise. 
    I don't agree, I think the C1 sounds much better.