Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Low watt amps for home use - 1 watt or less

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    For home I’ve had Two Rock jet 22, Carr Mercury & Skylark, Blackstar Artisan 15, Cornford Carrera & Harlequin etc..., But the most fun has been my Little Blackstar HT1R head paired with a 1x12” Tone Tubby. Less than £100 2nd hand.. Lovely cleans and does that raggedy Strat Sweet home Alabama overdrive, takes all my pedals really well  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a HT1. Through the speaker in the combo it is rather lacking in bottom for me. Through a 212,.it sounds rather good. But louder than you would think. Though, I haven't truely worked out all the necessary settings even after four years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    I have a HT1. Through the speaker in the combo it is rather lacking in bottom for me. Through a 212,.it sounds rather good. But louder than you would think. Though, I haven't truely worked out all the necessary settings even after four years.
    It's only got three knobs! At least if it's not the reverb model...

Although to be fair, if you read the instructions you will be confused, because like all Blackstars the ISF control is backwards... the 'Marshall' sounds are on the *left* of the ISF, not the right.

I also think the best overdrive sounds on it are with the boost *off*, and the gain maxed (or nearly).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's the two volume knobs. Lol. Adding gain increases the volume too much, so I have to reduce that too.

It's used mostly for rehearsals. Where I play bass through it.
  • Wow thanks for all the replies guys - apologies, I should have mentioned, home for me is an apartment! So in terms of volume, I can't go to loud, certainly not as loud as living in a detached house.

ICBM said:
    vincechu89 said:

Thanks, I agree, the AC4 is nice. I just have to find one locally to try, I've been surprised that its not been in stock at some of the stores locally. I know that power scaling with affect the sound, but it appears to be the only feasibile way of getting a decent overdriven sound from a tube amp at home. There's nothing quite like an overdriven/cranked amp... only challenge is to do it a sensible volumes.
    In my opinion an attenuator is better - which is what the AC4TV has, not power scaling. There's nothing to stop you using a much bigger, more sophisticated one with a low-power amp - it's just that the attenuator could then be a significant fraction of the cost of the amp! But if it gives you the sound you want...

For me personally the AC4 sounds quite congested and boxy, and worse when set to the lower-power modes, but that's a reflection of the very basic type of attenuator it has, and not all attenuators.

For me personally, given your budget I'd actually look for something like a used Mesa Express - bigger amps with proper EQ and good master volume controls can sound far better at low volume than cranked micro-power amps, to me. The idea of amps being "too loud" to use at home just because they are *capable* of being is something I just don't follow really.
    Thanks, I agree a lot with what you have said regarding bigger amps at home, and have kind of toyed with the idea of a Fender deluxe or princeton reverb at home and using them at lower volume, as I absolutely love the Fender cleans. I will check out the Mesa Express, although from a quick search of the 'bay, even used ones may be too expensive. However on youtube, the amp sounds amazing.

"The idea of amps being "too loud" to use at home just because they are *capable* of being is something I just don't follow really"

Yes absolutely this, although I imagine space is a consideration for the OP? Like my Princeton is fine at home with an attenuator sound wise but I've nowhere to put it in my spare room
    How do you find the Princeton without an attenuator at lower volume settings, as I love Fender cleans. I suppose I'd have to use pedals to get decent overdrive at home though though? I played a DRRI when I bought my Suhr and that sounded OK at 2-3 volume, but it left quite a lot of the amps potential unused.
    susbemol said:
    This is actually the AC4C1 instead of the AC4TV but they are reasonably around the same ballpark soundwise. Sounds good to me.

ICBM said:
    susbemol said:
    This is actually the AC4C1 instead of the AC4TV but they are reasonably around the same ballpark soundwise. 
    I don't agree, I think the C1 sounds much better.

I saw that vid, the AC4C1 certainly sounds great, I agree with ICBM and I think much better than the AC4TV, but at apartment levels, I wonder if it is worth paying the premium and not having an attenuator? If I am not mistaken there is a trade off of either using an attenuator or master volume? ie, that using master volume means it's harder to get the amp to overdrive?

antifash said:

redwedge said:
    Thanks guys, I've seen the Laney, it does sound great, I just wonder if it'll be too loud for my flat? I think I may need to rethink if having lower wattage should be part of my criteria for an amp to play at apartment levels... As above, I know that some higher wattage amps sound good at lower volumes, but its harder to get amp overdrive.

tone1 said:
    For home I’ve had Two Rock jet 22, Carr Mercury & Skylark, Blackstar Artisan 15, Cornford Carrera & Harlequin etc..., But the most fun has been my Little Blackstar HT1R head paired with a 1x12” Tone Tubby. Less than £100 2nd hand.. Lovely cleans and does that raggedy Strat Sweet home Alabama overdrive, takes all my pedals really well  :)
    Wow, the Blackstar sounds impressive, I will try and have another play with one and take more time this time, and perhaps try the head with a cab and better speaker, I didn't like the combo. I guess I need to be more open minded about using pedals too. I currently use the Blackstar Fly 3 and a boss overdrive pedal and that's good fun.
    Have a look at my little offering for sale ... has a master volume so can be tamed. Output valve can be swapped so it's only 1 watt too :-) 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/114497/danplifier-matchbox-3w-high-gain-amp-now-with-video
    Thanks, it's sounds great, however am currently looking for something that I don't need to do anything to. :)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    To clarify, I'd swap it to a lower wattage output valve for free for you :-)
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    The Laney 5T can go loud, admittedly, but it sounds terrific. The Laney Cub 8 or 10 could be more for you as they’re small - but then you’re getting a boxier sound. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited January 2018
    not trying to piss on your chips but from years living in apartments myself in my opinion it doesn't matter which amp you use as everything that lets you hear the amp above the unamplified sound of the guitar is too loud already. I wouldn't play acoustic guitar in an apartment either. So it was strictly headphones for me while I was in apartments. 

If you can turn up to 'listening to AC/DC while no one is at home' volumes, then loads of amps will sound good but hardly any will break up - go for one with a good base sound, either with a master volume or use a pedal, it doesn't matter then whether it has 5, 15, or 50 watts. 

• The Laney studio head has a headphone output and a good cab sim. I used mine purely on headphones when I lived in my flat, although I've not used it through a cab yet.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24842
    edited January 2018
    This was recorded using an HT1R - using the internal 8” speaker....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDr2jPrYgA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    NPP said:
    not trying to piss on your chips but from years living in apartments myself in my opinion it doesn't matter which amp you use as everything that lets you hear the amp above the unamplified sound of the guitar is too loud already. I wouldn't play acoustic guitar in an apartment either. So it was strictly headphones for me while I was in apartments. 

That must've been one hell of a loud acoustic!
    Or else the walls were made of tissue paper.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    Just get the Danplifier Matchbox from @4114Effects!

I've got one of his previous mini-tweed 1w builds, and I love it, although it could really do with an attenuator to reduce it to bedroom levels when pushed.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    m_c said:

I've got one of his previous mini-tweed 1w builds, and I love it, although it could really do with an attenuator to reduce it to bedroom levels when pushed.

Thanks! Yeah I seem to remember the tweed doesn't have a master volume so it's pretty raunchy when pushed. The matchbox should be easier to tame :-) 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9835
    edited January 2018
    I can't use my Princeton (the 68 custom one) at home as it's too loud in the small room I can play it in, also I don't really have the room because if it's on the floor the sound fires at my feet, if I put it on my drawers then it's a bit big etc. The volume is nothing too start with on the volume dial then it kicks in it's already too loud. Hot rod Deluxe was much better at quiet sounds but it's too large physically
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    m_c said:

Thanks! Yeah I seem to remember the tweed doesn't have a master volume so it's pretty raunchy when pushed. The matchbox should be easier to tame :-) 

You'd be right. Just tone and volume.
    It still makes me smile every time I play my Thorpy Veteran through it :-)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have a JVM 1 watt combo that I use in my flat with pedals. Using the clean channel with the volume at about 8 o'clock it is above tv volume. The 0.1 watt setting is pretty useless and sounds better with the full 1 watt but with the volume down. I am lucky in that I work from home quite often so use the amp during the day (never at unsociable hours and rarely after 5pm) but in the evenings I use an Apogee interface and BiasFX on my laptop. 

I got the JVM for a bargain and never would have bought it at the list price. Probably wouldn't buy it again.
  • I thought the ac4tv I had sounded terrible, harsh,  boxy and raspy.  It didn't seem to be built very well either. I tried a valve and speaker upgrade but that didn't help much.  I sold it and got a SS Pathfinder instead and its miles better IMHO.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    This was recorded using an HT1R - using the internal 8” speaker....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDr2jPrYgA
    I think I remember buying my HT1R on the strength of this Video :)
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    edited January 2018
    Thank you all for the very useful suggestions and comments. I have just ordered a used Marshall JTM1C that I got at a  very good price from a reputable dealer. I will see how it goes but have 14 days to return it, though I suspect I will know if it is too loud almost immediately. If it is too loud, I suspect I will save up a little longer and try and look at some slightly more expensive amps with high quality attenuators. I will report back with how I get on as I suspect there may be others in the same situation as me.

To clarify, I'd swap it to a lower wattage output valve for free for you :-)
    Thanks, very kind offer, I may get in touch depending on how the Marshall goes :)

• When I get home tonight I'll put a video up of my Marshall JMP1H running through a single G12H30 at home, on the 0.1watt setting.  I bought it specifically for when I lived in an apartment and it beat out my Badcat, Dr Z and Single Rectifier for home playing.