Advise on cracks on a new fender strat

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
edited January 2018 in Guitar
So I haven't actually bought the guitar yet, but I am considering it. Its brand new from a reputable shop and at a great price, the only downsides are some cracks, my question is are these cracks in the lacquer or the wood as well? Is this a cause for concern? 

Thanks in advance for any help 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    It shouldn't be like this.  To me, they are impact/ strain cracks - in which case steer clear, or they are serious finish shrinkage/brittleness cracks - in which case steer clear.

If there is a massive discount, maybe take a punt.. but if not, steer clear IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    Lacquer.

Probably caused by low-temperature shrinkage - entirely normal with some finishes and nothing to worry about.

(Unless there's something worse in the third pic, which isn't showing.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    definitely finish cracks, but they shouldn't be there on a new fender????
  • It shouldn't be like this.  To me, they are impact/ strain cracks - in which case steer clear, or they are serious finish shrinkage/brittleness cracks - in which case steer clear.

If there is a massive discount, maybe take a punt.. but if not, steer clear IMHO
    +1 on this. I looked at a brand new Tele with the same damage. I put it back straight away- not worth it. I'd avoid this one. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Wouldn’t bother me if it was a player at a nice price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    It was probably left somewhere cold in shipping to the shop.

Some people pay a lot to have it done on purpose :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23217
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:
    It was probably left somewhere cold in shipping to the shop.

Some people pay a lot to have it done on purpose :).
    Does this happen with polyester, urethane etc the same as with nitro?  I thought temperature-related cracking and shrinking was mostly a nitro thing. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14458
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:
    Lacquer.

Probably caused by low-temperature shrinkage - entirely normal with some finishes and nothing to worry about.

(Unless there's something worse in the third pic, which isn't showing.)
    agree on both accounts but I've seen it before - Don't know how long it has been on the dealers wall and indeed how they have looked after it but a serious discount would need to be on the cards - It might get worse but it is only a lacquer issue - However if you buy and sell at a later date, many will be cautious, as per you, and ask the same questions you are asking, so make sure it is sold at an advantageous price

The dealer should still be able to provide a warranty, via Fender, that it will only stay as a lacquer cracks and not actually develop into the finish actually coming off - Chat to the dealer and see what they will offer you regarding price

My gut feeling is that it has developed such cracks since being on the dealers wall, as surely if it had arrived into stock from Fender like that they would have returned to Fender for immediate replacement - Not sure which Fender model it is, how old and how long in stock, but part of me is questioning why they have not returned to Fender - curious
    Philly_Q said:

Does this happen with polyester, urethane etc the same as with nitro?  I thought temperature-related cracking and shrinking was mostly a nitro thing. 
    Yes, just less than with nitro, and usually not in such a 'nice' and even pattern.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I'd want some discount....them 'cracks' in the neck pocket are very common and its just the finish, but if its sold as a brand new guitar I'd either take some discount or just choose another. Not seen it round the jack input though...still only be finish but its cosmetic flaws that you expect to have discount off the price for.
    edited January 2018
    siraxeman said:
    I'd want some discount....them 'cracks' in the neck pocket are very common and its just the finish, but if its sold as a brand new guitar I'd either take some discount or just choose another. Not seen it round the jack input though...still only be finish but its cosmetic flaws that you expect to have discount off the price for.
    A single crack either side is very common... I don’t think 4 parallel cracks is that common.

the good news is 4 parallel cracks shows it almost definitely finish cracks.  
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2618
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader

Those look like the sort of cracks you get when you tighten the screws on the hardware too much on a new finish or maybe also in this case the neck pocket fits too snuggly....   Its common enough but shouldn't be there on a new guitar....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks for all the responses, the body is finished in nitro if that helps / changes anything. They've discounted £300 off the cheapest other place to buy it in the uk, so is a good discount but no cheaper than going second hand. I've updated the image links to include the third image as well. Will ask the dealer about the warranty, thanks @guitars4you. Is it likely the cracks will cause the paint to chip / flake off? 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

£300 off isn't bad - I think I'd take it.

The cracks are going to ruin the resale value, BUT they are only cosmetic.  So as a player it should be fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I would also take it at that kind of discount, and pay for a refin elsewhere if it bothers you.  

Being a nitro model does help explain it to any future buyers as a feature
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    That should be £300 more than retail for being a relic..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    What model is it?  In my view £300 off a Fender Standard £500ish normal new price is worth a punt; £300 off an American Pro £1300ish normal new price isn't. 

If it was me, I would value it at a second hand good condition price and make an offer to the shop at that.  As some of the others above have said, the shop should be able to get Fender to replace it with no quibbles and be able to sell the replacement at full price...and they haven't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14458
    tFB Trader
    Jtaylor said:
    Thanks for all the responses, the body is finished in nitro if that helps / changes anything. They've discounted £300 off the cheapest other place to buy it in the uk, so is a good discount but no cheaper than going second hand. I've updated the image links to include the third image as well. Will ask the dealer about the warranty, thanks @guitars4you. Is it likely the cracks will cause the paint to chip / flake off? 
    it shouldn't flake yet I'd still ask about a warranty - better guys on here than me about finishing - but lacquer checking/cracks is one thing - Delamination of the actual finish is another and should be covered by any manufactures warranty, regardless of what you paid for it as a new guitar - Don't let me put you off as delamination is rare and certainly doesn't look as though this has any such issues
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3643

Those finish cracks would bother me TBH. Personally I'd rather buy a second hand version that didn't have that problem. 

No point buying it for a £300 discount and having it refinished which will cost all of that. May as well just buy a perfect one to start with. Plus of course it will be easier to shift if you ever want to sell it on. 
    If you like the guitar I would just buy it. The cracks aren't anything serious, if the discount brings it down to about the price of a second hand one then it's just like buying used but with a warranty and without any wear, and it's unlikely it will significantly affect the value if you come to sell it on... if it's a nitro finish people expect - and even want - checking. Isn't that half the point of it?

I find it hilarious that some people make such a fuss about this sort of thing when others will happily pay much more than the normal new price for one where this - and much worse - has been done deliberately :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom