Advise on cracks on a new fender strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16801
    Neil said:

No point buying it for a £300 discount and having it refinished which will cost all of that. May as well just buy a perfect one to start with. Plus of course it will be easier to shift if you ever want to sell it on. 
    I was assuming it will cost half of that, maybe two thirds... I know there are some who charge the full amount or more but we have a few forum refinishers who don’t 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I'd definitely take that for a £300 discount - they would have appeared at some point anyway, just a (perhaps desirable) characteristic of a nitro finish
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14445
    tFB Trader
    I dare say in 5-10 years time it will just look like most used guitars on the market with similar blemish and day to day wear and tear - It certainly should not be a long term issue - I can understand many wanting a new pristine example, as many don't like the aged concept by Custom Shop - But with a relevant discount I don't see any issues - I assume it is a AVRi 60's spec model
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    What proportion is £300 of the new price? £300 off a £500 guitar and I’d bite your hand off but £300 off of £1500 should be doable elsewhere on a guitar that doesn’t have that problem. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16801
    ICBM said:

I find it hilarious that some people make such a fuss about this sort of thing when others will happily pay much more than the normal new price for one where this - and much worse - has been done deliberately :).
    People simply want different things, nothing that hilarious about it really

I even want different things things on different guitars.  I like a good relic on some guitars, others I like to be perfect.

the problem with this one is it’s not sold as a relic, and the natural defect that has occurred will stand out against the newness of the rest of the guitar.  Like that first fresh ding on any guitar.... always more painful than any which occur later

it wouldn’t bother me much on this guitar.   I would probably be tempted to give it a few rounds in the freezer to develop it some more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339

If it is a nitro finished Fender, then I am not overly surprised.

I tried to buy a few Johnny Marr Jags (and I wish I had kept one!) but the paint work was SO bad I couldn't justify the money.

Then I saw a blowout on 65 Vintage Reissue Jags, all of them NOS, and mine turned up with very minor lacquer cracks (thin nitro finish). It sounds and looks that good that I obviously kept it, and the price was VERY good.

It depends how much the guitar is. I paid almost half, and there were about 10 floating about at that price. Obviously that is a huge bargain.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    probably the worst colour to show these imperfections, so unless you want to be in the hinterland between brand new or relic then look elsewhere.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If is, it will mark just by looking at it. The ‘Flash Coat’ finish Fender use on this line is exceptionally delicate - it chips and cracks - rather than ageing gently. 

I had a 59 AVRI for about three years, so I’m speaking from experience.
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    So I heard back from the dealer and taking 300 off is the best they can do, their is no warranty if the cracks turn into finish coming off though, so might wait for a second hand one to pop up, thanks for everyones help 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14445
    tFB Trader
    Jtaylor said:
    So I heard back from the dealer and taking 300 off is the best they can do, their is no warranty if the cracks turn into finish coming off though, so might wait for a second hand one to pop up, thanks for everyones help 
    touched surprised at the warranty as ultimately the warranty is provided by Fender - @MattFGBI - comments as to what is the official line on this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72685
    Jtaylor said:
    So I heard back from the dealer and taking 300 off is the best they can do, their is no warranty if the cracks turn into finish coming off though
    What?! That's not only very poor, it may be illegal as well. Regardless of being sold with a known defect, any other defects should still be covered.

Jtaylor said:

so might wait for a second hand one to pop up
    The problem with that is that you still have no warranty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jtaylor said:

I wouldn't have a warranty, but will be cheaper, and wouldn't have cracks in the finish... 

I'm going to mull it over for a bit anyway, might change my mind 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Damn. Most of my stock bodies have those terrible lacquer cracks... I won’t be giving you £300 off though :) 

Buy it if it feels good. I don’t think there’s any malice to the checking that has started. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    My telecaster once looked like that, the cracks aren't showing now thanks to a  little nail varnish

• NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Jtaylor said:

Jtaylor said:

I wouldn't have a warranty, but will be cheaper, and wouldn't have cracks in the finish... 

I'm going to mull it over for a bit anyway, might change my mind 
    Sensible. 
    So, I ended up buying it, slept on it for a few days and realised its just superficial and couldn't ignore the discount! Thanks for everyones help :) 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Smart move, IMHO. Hope you have a long and happy time enjoying playing it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    Jtaylor said:
    So, I ended up buying it, slept on it for a few days 
    No wonder it's cracked.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2616
    tFB Trader
    Jtaylor said:
    So, I ended up buying it, slept on it for a few days 
    No wonder it's cracked.
    I did actually laugh out loud  :)