NGD and OGD....and there's more...and again...

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Had a bit of a trading spree over Christmas, and the first arrival is here and unboxed. It's a @HarrySeven tribute Greco EG600. Didn't arrive in the best shape from Gas Station - needed new strings and setting up, jack socket needs replacing and it needed a good clean, so that was a bit disappointing. But all sorted (jack socket ordered) quickly and is pretty nice to sit and noodle on. Particularly when teamed up with the Marshall. On the bridge it is quite a bit lighter than any of my other Les Pauls - has a lot of high end bite. Neck position is nice and thick, but still relatively clear. 

Second toy of the day is actually a guitar I've had for a while, but haven't really touched. I'd basically taken it in to use as payment for a strat build - and then the project didn't happen. Whilst sorting out the Greco I noticed it stashed at the back of the store room. As I have been enjoying the Chris Robertson SE so much I thought I'd treat it to some new strings, a clean and tidy up and a sticker. And then had a blast with it for an hour - amazing that such a cheap guitar can be so good through a simple rig. 

Whilst I've now stopped buying for a bit (read 2018) - apart from an Epiphone V that's on order - there are more to arrive in the next few days....updates soon!

Then, just like that the postman appeared! Well, the DPD driver actually. 

A couple more Grecos...

The cherry is a  1989 EG59-60. With a completely microphonic neck pickup Not insurmountable - I bought these to be pickup mules and try different stuff, but it would have been nice to know about it in advance. Awaiting feedback from the seller... It's a nice weight, and has a slimmer neck. Will have more of a view once I have decided what pickups to put in in...

The black one is a 1983 EG59-65 - and you can really tell the difference. This has a thicker neck, and a much weighter body (looks like a two piece from the off-centre seam down the back). The plastics have aged to a beautiful yellow and it's in good condition apart from a crack in the finish in the cutaway (knew about this). Again, some pickups would help (it's not bad - but a nice set of OX4s, Oil Citys or Monty's would be very much at home in this one), so there will be updates to come...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Full H7 approval granted. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    That Sunburst Greco is very pretty indeed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Howard Smith can wax pot those pups for ya if you felt so inclined chap. HNGD!!!
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    antifash said:
    Howard Smith can wax pot those pups for ya if you felt so inclined chap. HNGD!!!
    Cheers Ash! Think the current pickups would be much better off in the bottom of the parts drawer! Might be adding to my Oil City order!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Wow you're like the high end version of Harry seven! 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Nah. @HarrySeven ; is the high end version of Harry Seven. Am but a mere pale imitation...
    And there's more again....

Today's arrival is Merlin's SC245 with 57/08 pickups. Having recently fallen for my Tremonti I was keen to try out one of the Singlecuts. Only after we had concluded the deal on Earth 52 did I realise Merlin had this stunner up for sale. Short delay to get the funds sorted, which Merlin filled with comments about how amazing these pickups are, and then job done.

In short it's a fantastic Les Paul alternative. It's not a Les Paul, but if has an incredible articulation and clarity to it. And obviously is exceptionally well finished, with a little bit of aging now creeping in. Also has the world's heaviest case!!

Here it is with the Marshall...a natural pairing:

And with my other recent PRS - the Chris Robertson SE - which also runs a 57/08 in the bridge. These two are £1250 apart in price....but don't it doesn't sound like a £1250 when hooked up and pushing hard!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    ellwood said:

Nah. @HarrySeven ; is the high end version of Harry Seven. Am but a mere pale imitation...

This is true. 

There can can be only one. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12392
    That black Greco...ooof! Very nice. 
    boogieman said:
    That black Greco...ooof! Very nice. 
    This one? :)

Spent some time cleaning it up and setting it up properly today. Not been the most stable tuning-wise, so give it a little TLC. Turning into a beast of a Les Paul - very pleased indeed....
    Arrived home to be greeted by a purchase from one of the Facebook groups. Mentioned in response to a "WTB" post, this gorgeous Tokai LS128 has been upgraded with a locking bridge and Mojo buckers. Obviously it arrived with too much pickguard...

So fixed that...

Neck is very similar to my R8 and has a lovely feel to fit. Finish is absolutely fabulous, and acoustically it's very resonant. Can't wait to plug it into the amps tomorrow! (Will also get better picks tomorrow - these are pretty yellow!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    You should be writing a blog about all these Lesters. Amazing stuff man!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    edited January 2018
    antifash said:
    ‘Memoirs of a near-Leicester based Lester buyer’.

I reckon it’d definitely have a cult following of fretboarders.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    So how many guitars do you actuslly own now? 
    So how many guitars do you actuslly own now? 
    Let’s go with “some”...
    antifash said:
    Plenty for you and @Teyeplayer to have a go on during your next visits!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    ellwood said:
    Looking forward to it buddy, I’ve found something that if I can get the funds together for it will make a very interesting comparison (keeping it up my sleeve until it’s definite).
    ellwood said:
    Looking forward to it buddy, I’ve found something that if I can get the funds together for it will make a very interesting comparison (keeping it up my sleeve until it’s definite).
    How jolly intriguing....
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ellwood said:

This is true. 

There can can be only one. ;)
    Don't lose your head
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    I hope you'll be rekaxin' at Camarillo now. The SC245 looks great (and I bet sounds great too) in that combo. Glad you're happy!