eBay scammers at it again

What's Hot
This popped up in one of my eBay searches, and I've reported it (not that doing so ever seems to result in the listing being removed):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Highway-one-USA-1995-1996/173071534531?hash=item284bde09c3:g:-FYAAOSwz~paS~VB

There are quite a few things wrong with it for it to be any kind of genuine Fender Strat, let alone a US model which wasn't produced until around 4 years after the fake serial  number which this guitar displays. And I especially love the truss rod access hole of the cheap Chinese made neck...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27655
    I've reported it (not that doing so ever seems to result in the listing being removed):

The best way of getting a listing removed, and dumping a dodgy seller in some eBayPoo is to send them a message along the lines of 

"thanks for your message, you can ring me on [enter your favourite fake number here] and we can discuss an off-eBay deal"

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    TTony said:
    I've reported it (not that doing so ever seems to result in the listing being removed):

The best way of getting a listing removed, and dumping a dodgy seller in some eBayPoo is to send them a message along the lines of 

"thanks for your message, you can ring me on [enter your favourite fake number here] and we can discuss an off-eBay deal"

;)
    and then you would get yourself banned ??? as e bay
    a.would think you want a deal outside of e bay
    b.wouldnt know your contact number was wrong or that the guitar was fake?
    c. why not just report it as a fake item ?then you dont gey your account suspended ?.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    There are quite a few things wrong with it for it to be any kind of genuine Fender Strat, let alone a US model which wasn't produced until around 4 years after the fake serial number which this guitar displays. And I especially love the truss rod access hole of the cheap Chinese made neck...
    I sincerely doubt that there is a single genuine Fender USA part on it. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    The case is genuine ;)
  • "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Guess they knew all along. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    The bass looks genuine, if ambitiously priced.
    Thought the jazz basses had the truss rod at the heel?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    poopot said:
    Some do, some don't. Quite a few 80s/90s US ones had it at the headstock, don;t think they do now. Mexican std ones still do though.
    Octafish said:
    poopot said:
    Some do, some don't. Quite a few 80s/90s US ones had it at the headstock, don;t think they do now. Mexican std ones still do though.
    Ah.. ok... but don’t all USA fenders have a walnut plug for the truss rod adjustment? Or did they do it different for this model?...

poopot said:
    Octafish said:
    poopot said:
    Ah.. ok... but don’t all USA fenders have a walnut plug for the truss rod adjustment? Or did they do it different for this model?...

I think so. Walnut sleeve can be a bit dark in some pics, but I'm guessing the one in the ebay ad is plastic? A quick google brings up this with no headstock adjustment, different logo and 'made in' on rear, so who knows what the ebay ones is....
    Think of Highway1 Fenders as the precursor of what is currently called the American Special series - a spec halfway between American Standard and MIM Standard.

poopot said:
    don’t all USA fenders have a walnut plug for the truss rod adjustment? Or did they do it different for this model?...
    I rather like the fact that one of my Fender guitars has a maple plug at the headstock end of the truss rod channel - just like some original examples would have done.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    I'm pretty sure the Jazz is legit - Highway 1 basses had a Mexican Standard type neck rather than USA Standard type if I remember right, so I think the plastic truss rod plug is correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I'm pretty sure the Jazz is legit - Highway 1 basses had a Mexican Standard type neck rather than USA Standard type if I remember right, so I think the plastic truss rod plug is correct.
    Was it the Highway 2 that had a US style neck? Google image seems to bring quite a few with both style and also some with the 'made in' decal on the front and some with it on back of the headstock...