I played a guitar this afternoon ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
edited January 2018 in Guitar
... one that I hadn't played for a while (years probably), and one that was on my list of possibly-to-sell.

When I've been playing recently, I've typically been playing one or other of my self-builds, or self-put-togethers.  These are OK (of course, I'd say that) guitars, quite playable, and generally with the spec that I wanted.

But this afternoon I picked up this one ...

... and gave my hands and ears a treat.

It's smaller bodied than I remember, action is very playable (low without being silly), and the BKPs give a lot of sounds with appropriate fiddling with the tone & vols.  Quick switch-flick and there are some fairly decent acoustic sounds of it too.

Probably helped that I was playing through my full-size amp, rather than my more normal THR10 with/without headphones.  

That's another one off the don't-play-it-maybe-I-should-sell-it list ...

[edit]
The point of the post?

Just that I've read a few threads recently along the lines of "I don't play my X, Y or Z anymore, should I get rid of it?".  You might not play it right now, but if you leave it for a year or two and then go back to it, you might just appreciate all of its qualities all over again.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    One of my favourite Wez builds, love the shape.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    One of my favourite Wez builds, love the shape.
    You get a wis point, just for recognising it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    That's one awesome looking guitar! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
    I think the dreaded GAS can be cured by picking up a guitar you haven't played in weeks/months and remembering why it was your favourite at some point.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Which BK pickups are in it?

Looks like a HSP90 in the neck?
    @thegummy - Mississippi Queen in the neck.  

I can't remember what the other one is, probably Mule or Stormy Monday rather than anything too far OTT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Catch the light right, and the lovely blue maple top is good enough to dive into.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I was wondering what it was. Looks awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I keep meaning to try a fan fret. How'd you find it jumping from one to the other? I think it would confuse my fingers and my brain but I can see why they work. 

Sweet guitar!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Oh Tony, and I thought you were a bass player now

:(
    I keep meaning to try a fan fret. How'd you find it jumping from one to the other? I think it would confuse my fingers and my brain but I can see why they work. 

Seriously @legionreturns - it was the first time that I've played this in months and months and months, and I didn't have to think about where to put my fingers.  It just works, pick up and play, no thinking necessary.

I had more problems remembering that @WezV put the bridge vol control next to the bridge pickup.  I kept going for that when I wanted to change the neck volume ... that was the only difficult bit.

Oh Tony, and I thought you were a bass player now
    I'm easily swayed ...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTony said:
    I'm easily swayed ...

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I don't understand why people have guitars that they don't play in such a long time that they forget what they are like... especially of they are so good.

Thing is if you'd sold it before playing it you wouldn't have cared. Almost any guitar you own ought to be something you enjoy playing; stands to reason as you bought it; all you are really doing is giving yourself an excuse not to sell it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5549
    Always loved that Wez, @TTony. I have plenty of guitars I haven't played in ages (years in some cases) but that I haven't gotten rid of. They've been on my mind recently as I'd like to make some more space in the spare room so either going to wall mount them (hey, I might even play them if they're more accessible) or I might sell a couple on.
    I don't understand why people have guitars that they don't play in such a long time that they forget what they are like... especially of they are so good.
    The main reason is that I have more guitars than I need.  Mostly they're ones that I've built rather than bought, so I build them, fiddle with them until they play reasonably well, and then play them in preference to others until they gradually fall down the playlist because I've built others.

I don't build them because I need more guitars - I build them to learn/practice more guitar making skills, for relaxation and the satisfaction, etc.

Thing is if you'd sold it before playing it you wouldn't have cared. Almost any guitar you own ought to be something you enjoy playing
    I hadn't stopped playing it because I didn't enjoy playing it.  It had just gradually fallen down the playing list as others had displaced it, not because of an explicit decision.
  • As someone who sold The Guitar Which Should Never Be Sold, I applaud the decision to keep this one.
    <space for hire>
    As someone who sold The Guitar Which Should Never Be Sold, I applaud the decision to keep this one.
    Trouble is, I keep them all
    ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8749
    You’ve got the space. Where’s the problem?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Nice guitar!  And I get the concept, I currently have 4 solid body guitars, a bass and a solid body nylon string.  I play one for a while then switch it up when I feel like it, highly recommended.  I also noodle around on a lap steel now and then and I'm currently learning banjo(just bought a cheapo 5 string).  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    Ah, glad it’s getting some play time.  Let me know if it ever needs anyything doing.