Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SORTED - If you had just one Telecaster.....

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited January 2018 in Guitar
UPDATE - I went with a with Mojo Broadcaster set.

People, I'm looking for inspiration.

If you had just one Telecaster, which pair of pickups would you have in it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    I like mine which has a Fender Texas Special in the bridge and an old 70s Gibson mini humbucker in the neck position. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    I just have one telecaster and it has a SD Broadcaster in the bridge and a DiMarzio twang King on the neck.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Just one Telecaster ! What a stupid thread ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • For the bridge, I'd have whatever @Alnico had in his Baja. It was the best sounding Tele I've ever heard. In the neck I'd go for a tappable P90. @SteveRobinson put two tappable P90s in the Tele he built me and the neck sound is just beautiful.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    For the bridge, I'd have whatever @Alnico had in his Baja. It was the best sounding Tele I've ever heard. In the neck I'd go for a tappable P90. @SteveRobinson put two tappable P90s in the Tele he built me and the neck sound is just beautiful.
    Thanks man,

It was and still might be, an Oil City Alligator.

@JohnPerry ; ?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28621
    I have half a Telecaster; it has an Oil City Scrapyard Dog in the neck and an overwound Oil City Nightfighter in the bridge.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Bare Knuckle Flat 50s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go with a 51 Nocaster in the bridge (although I would still like to try an Oil City Wapping Wharf) and in the neck a TV Jones Classic.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3232
    Alegree cirrostratus pickups changed telecasters for the better for me. Now I have just one (and one in retirement).
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I’ve not tried them all, but the best set I tried were BKP 52s. Sounded like a Tele. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    I have two and at the moment I'm not getting rid of one of em..
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 461
    The Bulldog set I had in my Crinson Tele we’re out of this world, it sounded amazing 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Shit... tricky one.

It would have to have a Broadcaster-type bridge pickup (phaaat) and the matching neck unit.

My fave guitar has  hand-wound Seymour Duncan units in there - signed by the big man himself... I dont think he still does that, and whilst the production ones sound great, they don't sound as killer as that guitar.
    I also love the Mojo pickups Broadcaster too - Marc's pickups are epic.
    The Alegree Cirrostratus are a slightly different take on the same idea, and are amazing. Likewise I have a Hurricane (high output) bridge unit in another Tele and that roars, yet can still sound delicate... ish.

So for me, it would be a tricky choice - and thats probably why I have more Teles than any other type of guitar!!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Depends on what kind of Tele it was.  50's style Swamp Ash / Maple probably Nocasters or Flat 50's

60's Alder / Rosewood board I'm not sure, but more of a 60's style pickup, even though there are no hard and fast rules.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1263
    If I had to cut down to just one Telecaster it would be my Graham Coxon signature, which has a Seymour Duncan ‘59 humbucker in the neck and an Oil City Hard Man (slightly overwound to give a better output match to the neck humbucker I believe - my sons bought it for me as a birthday present after consulting with Ash so I’m not actually sure of the exact spec!) in the bridge position, and that’s perfect for me so that’s what I’ll go with...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Anyone tried any of the pups which are described as being P90 designed but fit a Tele without routing the body?

I have a thinline with a Blackguard in the bridge and a twisted Tele in the neck - the neck is a bit too Stratty and I’ll defined on the low strings
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13955
    edited January 2018
    Custom Shop Nocaster 51s (Alnico 3!)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Either a BKP Boss or a Mojo Broadcaster at the bridge, Mojotron at the neck
  • jeromegreendayjeromegreenday Frets: 173
    edited January 2018

Without a doubt - Rumpelstiltskin pickups, the black ropes set. have a look on the TDRPI forums. In all your searches you wont find one person that say's these pickups are anything less than amazing.

My second choice, Radioshop pickups, The ID telecaster set.

• I realise you're getting a zillion different suggestions here, but the best Tele pickups I've personally heard and played are Klein Broadcasters.