Leaking cylinder, time for a combi boiler?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    boogieman said:
    If one of the five outlets is feeding your shower you can get round that. There’s a thing called a Surrey Flange that screws into the top of the cylinder and provides a dedicated feed to the shower. Obviously it means adapting the pipework but it might get you out of a fix if you can’t find a matching cylinder. 
    There's also an Essex Flange which goes through the side of the tank, which may be what's fitted to this one already. If so, it's the one that's leaking...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12368
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    If one of the five outlets is feeding your shower you can get round that. There’s a thing called a Surrey Flange that screws into the top of the cylinder and provides a dedicated feed to the shower. Obviously it means adapting the pipework but it might get you out of a fix if you can’t find a matching cylinder. 
    There's also an Essex Flange which goes through the side of the tank, which may be what's fitted to this one already. If so, it's the one that's leaking...
    Ah right, not heard of that one. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    I do love the word 'Flange'. Just saying...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12368
    :)   Essex Flange does sound like a good description for Gemma Collins. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Yes that is correct 
    Or ......you could replumb the boiler to act as a system boiler and get a Megaflo type pressurised cylinder but much more expensive -worth it in the long run....more pressure ,etc etc
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    boogieman said:
    :)   Essex Flange does sound like a good description for Gemma Collins. 
    Thankfully I had never heard of her & am now struggling to forget.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Dominic said:
    Yes that is correct 
    Or ......you could replumb the boiler to act as a system boiler and get a Megaflo type pressurised cylinder but much more expensive -worth it in the long run....more pressure ,etc etc
    Will your 20 year old plumbing designed with a non-pressurised system in mind stand up to the extra pressure or is that just asking for more leaks?

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    pressure test it first but you'll be lucky to get 3 bar anyway which isn't that high but a great improvement