Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ideas please.... might sell my jcm800 stack and buy something more practical

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited January 2018 in Amps
seriously thinking of selling my jcm800 stack and getting something else. 
I love those amps and I've owned loads of them over the years , but I'm coming to the conclusion that they're just not practical for what I need. 
Dont sound or feel any good at the volumes i need to play them at , and there's no room for a solo boost. 
I've tried the fx loop thing too but it just didn't work for me , and added noise. I'm just not getting To turn it up enough to get it working properly.

I think what I'm looking for is something with a similar amount of grind (I play lower gij stuff  too ) and some kind of loess boost or lead cHannel that has a decent sound and feel at sensible volume. 

What should I be looking at ?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Starting to sound like a broken record but... Mini Jubilee. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    JCM800 half stack. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Starting to sound like a broken record but... Mini Jubilee. 
    I'm going to check one out soon .
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Mini Rectifier and 2x12 cab. (or a 4x12 cab in my case) Ch2 Vintage is seriously good, and its easily loud enough for a loud rock band. I use an eq pedal in the loop for a boost. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Dual Terror
    Jet City JCA50 /100HDM
    JCM900 SLX

• supessupes Frets: 183
    EVH 5150iii 50w - exactly what you’re looking for
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    edited January 2018
    Jet City JCA22H. It's a lot louder than you might think, used through a 2x12" or 4x12".

EDIT: To expand, the crunch channel is quite JCM800-like in terms of gain levels, and then you can use the overdrive channel for your lead boost (both gain and volume).

Or...Helix... D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    Brunetti Pleximan at 40w or 5w it's good for gig or home,
    Loads of foot switchable options, including clean boost. Power-scaling, Sounds great through 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 nice FX loop.
  • Get a 1936 cab, then send the amp head to Dan Gower for a foot switchable 2nd master volume - job done :)
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Carol Ann - great master volumes and solo boost make them useable in studio and live settings. Bombproof build packed with Marshall tones
  • H%K Tubemeister 18 or 36

Alternatively go with an Atomic AmpliFire. Their Marshall tones are way better than Helix and sound great at any volume. I play mostly Marshall tones and I'd never go back to a conventional valve amp.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2018

Alternatively go with an Atomic AmpliFire. Their Marshall tones are way better than Helix and sound great at any volume.
    Hmm, not sure I can agree with that... Helix/Marshall tones are pretty damn fine, and seem to improve further with each update (to my ears at least).

https://youtu.be/0aKl__WvXwE
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Amp wise, how about a Fargen Olde 800? Loved mine.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Carvin legacy combo or carvin nomad combo?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Brunetti Pleximan 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited January 2018
    What about the Laney cub head and a nice 2x12 cab. The cub is basically designed to be a low powered JCM800. Might be worth a look.
  • You should really try the Friedman stuff they are the most amazing Marshall-esque style amps out there imo killer tones from plexi to hottod jcm and the best master volumes ive ever tried you can get all the tones at very low volume and no attenuator needed. Bogner is also great but a little different to Friedman
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    As @TTBZ says try a mini Jubillee. While you're there also try out a CODE 100 head through a proper guitar cab. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited January 2018
    Indeed,  I heard a Code 100H played through a 1960BV (v30s) and it sounded awesome. You've got every marshall sound you could want in the Code and they're all surprisingly good and responsive when you dial down the gate, gain and fx. The footswitch is a bit rubbish though, needlessly clunky imo.
  • Thanks for the suggestions so far , there's some good Ines I'd never have even thought of !!
    im planning a trip round the guitar shops to try a few , keep em coming !!