Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ideas please.... might sell my jcm800 stack and buy something more practical

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    You just need to go to a big guitar shop and spend an afternoon trying loads of amps. Every thread you’ve posted here is asking the same question or variations on it... ;)

”How do I get the exact same sound as a 2203 and a 4x12” in a smaller, lighter package with a footswitchable volume boost?”

The answer is that you can’t, if “exact” is important. Where you will get a lot of different answers is because other people interpret how close is good enough differently. The only way you will know is to try some for yourself :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    You just need to go to a big guitar shop and spend an afternoon trying loads of amps. Every thread you’ve posted here is asking the same question or variations on it... ;)

”How do I get the exact same sound as a 2203 and a 4x12” in a smaller, lighter package with a footswitchable volume boost?”

The answer is that you can’t, if “exact” is important. Where you will get a lot of different answers is because other people interpret how close is good enough differently. The only way you will know is to try some for yourself :).

You're right of course. 
    The thing is all amps sound great in the shop , it's only after I've had a couple of band practices and a gig I start to get an idea how it works for me. 
    Thats why I like I put from people who've been using different amps . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    simonk said:

Alternatively go with an Atomic AmpliFire. Their Marshall tones are way better than Helix and sound great at any volume.
    Hmm, not sure I can agree with that... Helix/Marshall tones are pretty damn fine, and seem to improve further with each update (to my ears at least).

https://youtu.be/0aKl__WvXwE
    To my ears that sounds fantastic. I would almost buy a Helix just on the strength of that sound alone.
    riffpowers said:

You're right of course. 
    The thing is all amps sound great in the shop , it's only after I've had a couple of band practices and a gig I start to get an idea how it works for me. 
    But you won't get any useful answers, because every time you ask, one of the most popular suggestions is to put a boost pedal in the loop, and you've found that doesn't work for you.

Although I would have to say that I suggested putting a level *cut* pedal in the loop, not a boost... have you tried that?

Or a footswitchable attenuator?

For what it's worth, none of the other non-2203 suggestions so far sound exactly like a 2203 to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

You're right of course. 
    But you won't get any useful answers, because every time you ask, one of the most popular suggestions is to put a boost pedal in the loop, and you've found that doesn't work for you.

Although I would have to say that I suggested putting a level *cut* pedal in the loop, not a boost... have you tried that?

Or a footswitchable attenuator?

For what it's worth, none of the other non-2203 suggestions so far sound exactly like a 2203 to me.
    I'll try the volume cut pedal in the loop to see if it works for me . 
    The attenuator sounds like a great idea but I couldn't find a footswicthable one .
    The attenuator sounds like a great idea but I couldn't find a footswicthable one .
    https://www.tedweber.com/mass-iii

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Mesa Stiletto Ace combo - not your normal Mesa, these are their take on a Plexi and it does that and a whole more..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    TTBZ said:
    Starting to sound like a broken record but... Mini Jubilee. 
    I'm going to check one out soon 

if it turns out to be your kind of thing ive got a minty fresh, “still got the plastic on the faceplate” Head for sale 
  • supes said:
    EVH 5150iii 50w - exactly what you’re looking for

They're doing a new version with independent volume and gain knobs for channel 1 and channel 2, plus it's EL34 so possibly even more appropriate than the original
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    They're also going to re-release the 6L6 version of the EVH 5150iii but with independent gain and volume knobs like on the EL34 version.

Anyway...I've decided that my Fryette Deliverance 60 isn't really for me. So may be selling it on soon.
  • DrBob said:
    TTBZ said:
    Starting to sound like a broken record but... Mini Jubilee. 
    I'm going to check one out soon 

if it turns out to be your kind of thing ive got a minty fresh, “still got the plastic on the faceplate” Head for sale 
    Hi bob I'll bear that in mind .