I want.....I want......I want

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    @rsvmark this is @Teyeplayer ‘s tele body I did.

https://i.imgur.com/Tgh6rno.jpg

For me that’s just the right amount 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • take a look at the masterbuilt cruz gary moore strat to see a relic masterclass, cruz is da man
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    lonestar said:
    @rsvmark this is @Teyeplayer ‘s tele body I did.

https://i.imgur.com/Tgh6rno.jpg

For me that’s just the right amount 
    Here’s a link to the ngd I did for the SC Relic tele. The degree of wear and oxidisation I did on the metal be too much for some but I love it. The bumps and grazes @lonestar created are very similiar to guitars I own or have had access to that have been given hell for years -much as it’s a cliche, this really does feel like an old guitar that I’ve played in, not a new guitar that’s been aged.
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115946/n-parts-gd-sc-relic-tele#latest

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    rsvmark said:
    @SteveRobinson @lonestar thanks chaps. Just mildly curious. For 'authentic' replicas I am assuming you would want a balance of chips,  scratches and smooth areas to copy the wear and damage done over time, plus a degree of stains, and corrosion on metal parts?
    Yes but tbh 90% of my stuff is done to the brief set out by the customer. I’m heading down the less is more route now anyway. The heavy heavy stuff divides opinion quite drastically.
    This is my take on a relic job, less is more, heavy ageing never looks that good to me or realistic to what I've looked at anyway 
    For example an old goldtop is bloody difficult to recreate, I'm only on my third attempt at one now, there's a fine line between good and shit looking imo 
    I do love a vintage vibe though so keep trying 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    rsvmark said:
    @SteveRobinson @lonestar thanks chaps. Just mildly curious. For 'authentic' replicas I am assuming you would want a balance of chips,  scratches and smooth areas to copy the wear and damage done over time, plus a degree of stains, and corrosion on metal parts?
    Yes but tbh 90% of my stuff is done to the brief set out by the customer. I’m heading down the less is more route now anyway. The heavy heavy stuff divides opinion quite drastically.
    This is my take on a relic job, less is more, heavy ageing never looks that good to me or realistic to what I've looked at anyway 
    For example an old goldtop is bloody difficult to recreate, I'm only on my third attempt at one now, there's a fine line between good and shit looking imo 
    I do love a vintage vibe though so keep trying 
    Less is more, definitely. This one here is typical to what I’m doing from now on. In good lighting this finish is heavily checked too with a few random marks. It’s much more appealing to the wider market imo 

https://i.imgur.com/hFA4iXw.jpg

Goldtops.. yeah I haven’t ventured into that yet simply because I don’t get too many lester refinishes in.

edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Less is more, definitely. This one here is typical to what I’m doing from now on. In good lighting this finish is heavily checked too with a few random marks. It’s much more appealing to the wider market imo 

https://i.imgur.com/hFA4iXw.jpg

Goldtops.. yeah I haven’t ventured into that yet simply because I don’t get too many lester Less is more, definitely. This one here is typical to what I’m doing from now on. In good lighting this finish is heavily checked too with a few random marks. It’s much more appealing to the wider market imo 
    I think you're right about the wider market appeal with regards to ageing

I'm doing an ash blond tele finish with light ageing to follow, this isn't my area normally but thought I'd give it a bash for someone else, I'll be going easy on the wear though 

I'm in the Gibson vibe side normally as that's what I've mostly looked at and know more about, none of them were heavily aged

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    @customkits no they weren’t and the most aged gold top I’ve seen is the Cajun GT that bonamassa owns. Wez here did an amazing aged GT, I think @merlin owns it now.

I have plenty of feedback to work from so that’s helpful to know what buyers want. 
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    @customkits no they weren’t and the most aged gold top I’ve seen is the Cajun GT that bonamassa owns. Wez here did an amazing aged GT, I think @merlin owns it now.

I have plenty of feedback to work from so that’s helpful to know what buyers want. 
    Most of my vintage specs i've got Inc a mapped carved top for a copy carver came from a really beaten up 56, it looks really good to me, the guy played it to death since the early 70's

That's the most difficult aged finish to get imo, I'm waiting to sort my workshop out then I'll be having a proper go at doing it fairly naturally it'll  take some time to do it though and the greening is another headscratch, ive got a plan though so we'll see how that works out 

I know Clive Brown can take up to 18 months to get one done, I've seen a 62 strat refinish he did and it was fantastic and very real looking, lovely laquer checking 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Strat54 said:
    The Custom Shop guys do a good relic with the time allocated but guys like Carson Hess produce a work of art....
    That does look bang on.
    Not sure what I'm missing but that doesn't look at all like any old Tele I've seen, it's banged up a little around a lot of the front edge of the body (really?) but the top looks pristine, nice work but not consistent. 
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    Strat54 said:
    The Custom Shop guys do a good relic with the time allocated but guys like Carson Hess produce a work of art....
    That does look bang on.
    Not sure what I'm missing but that doesn't look at all like any old Tele I've seen, it's banged up a little around a lot of the front edge of the body (really?) but the top looks pristine, nice work but not consistent. 
    I think (my phone won’t zoom in to see) the surface is checked with some dings going on.