Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Macmull Guitars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Perhaps a daft and pointless question... we’ve all single out the headstock as the design flaw. It’s nothing to do with the fact that it’s not a fender based shape, it’s the fact it’s (as Lee said) unforgivable. Considering the rest of the guitar IS a fender strat, this was the only part they had to actually come up with themselves.

So, my question is what would be deemed a sensible asking price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    JerkMoans said:
    And made in that well-known place where all truly great electrics come from - Israel....
    May I introduce Sir to the B&G Little Sister?

Tacky looking hipster axe :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    The headstock bothers me less than some others. I prefer it to, say, the pointy Suhr and Anderson designs. If the guitars play as well and sound as good as a team-built CS, it’s fair that they be priced accordingly, I think; there will always be people who want something less ‘commonplace’ than a Fender. But I reckon they’re on to a loser asking for any more.

I suppose it’s possible that the pricing is a calculated ploy to convince people that the guitars are special. I’ve always wondered if that’s the case with other mega-money Fender-alikes - the DeTemples of the world.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    My good god, i need to quadruple my prices for a Custom S and take a sander to the head while i'm at it !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I wasn't that bothered about the headstock so what should they have done, someone who isn't a fender traditionalist might like it but that's a big price tag for a bolt on 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    My good god, i need to quadruple my prices for a Custom S and take a sander to the head while i'm at it !!
    Chop chop my good man. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    I wasn't that bothered about the headstock so what should they have done, someone who isn't a fender traditionalist might like it but that's a big price tag for a bolt on 
    Its odd, there are only so many alternatives they could do, and most have already been done.   This one does at least have some Fender heritage in the swinger and katana ;)

The price is high and I can’t see why, but it doesn’t offend me.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I love the headstock....it's the rest of it I can't stand! :-D

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Pete Thorn uses one often.

tFB Trader
    Jota said:
    Pete Thorn uses one often.

He may have been paid to used it or sent one to review.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    lonestar said:

That’s serious coin for a Strat with an awful looking headstock.

From a manufacturing point of view the headstock is a sensible idea. The width of a wood blank, from which the neck is made, is determined by the width of the headstock. The straight edged design minimises cost, and wastage of a limited resource.

Just yesterday I was considering using a straight edged narrow headstock for my own builds. I have a very limited source of walnut from a tree in my village. With a conventional design, and no splitting or warping, I’d get a maximum of two or three necks. With a straight edged narrow headstock I could get three or four.

You can guess my view on pricing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Can't see how taking a classic design and fucking the headstock up is gonna get you 5 grand 
  • lonestar said:
    So, my question is what would be deemed a sensible asking price?
    Possibly less than a CS Fender Strat? :)

Certainly not £6K, thats insane.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Don’t like the headstock it looks wrong with the chunky logo falling off the edge.

As for pricing these days there is really only two business models to get you started insanely good value for money so impressive spec fit and finish for  less. 

Or you price yourself as self as very good for mega dough and know that 80% of the market moan grumble but you have the 20% with good disposable income queuing up to have the latest expensive toy.

the latter seems to be where they are heading

i was trying to find out a bit more about the lovely dry Z pickups on my Greco over the weekend with the thought of adding them to another guitar at some point.

it all points back to a guy who worked or made them for Maxon. Who now has his own brand his pickups are like a grand or more which to me is crazy money.

but he obviously has a good market

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kt-guitar-research/c/0000000100/