Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Yamaha SG1820

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Get Away...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    grayn said:
    intrigued by the lack of neck dive, the sg2000 i owned years ago nearly went through the floor if i let go of the neck, shame as it was a nice guitar
    I hadn't tried the guitar with a strap, in the shop.  Doh!!
    But as I said, it is perfectly balanced, with a strap.
    With it's flatter fretboard radius and locking tuners, this SG has been modernised, I guess.

I think the radius is the same. Mines like 13" on a 1983 Yamaha SG1000. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    edited January 2018
    I've been lucky enough to have owned four of 'em: 1981 SG2000, 1979 SG1000, 2013 SG1802 and a 2009 SG1000...

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/lhoAAOSwEzxYUG9V/$_86.JPG
    https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/G4QAAOSwx6pYoKbZ/$_86.JPG
    Bang for buck they're far better than PRS and Gibson...Which is why I kept going back and it's the same deal for the SA or BB Series. Yamaha's RRP has gone up a lot recently, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be the case and Tokai/Deviser may need to start flying the flag alone.

'Jap Crap' was used a lot on Basschat, but sometimes it was justified if the Bass was made of Sen Ash (awful!! Don't know why Levinson use it), but the stuff made by Navigator (ESP) was incredible etc.

Congrats on the purchase!! Enjoy 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3051
    Schnozz said:

The 1802 is the one I've been fancying - specifically, the Gold one.

I have an 80's SG3000S in Wine Red, a modern SA2200 in Tobacco Sunburst, and an 80's SA2000S in Gold (a respray). Lovely guitars.

I still can't shake my Fender habit though

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    the only thing against Yamaha SGxxxx/2000 series is that Spandeau Balleteters pranced around with them in the 80s...

And this is how good an SG2000 can sound in the right hands, solo kicks in around 2min 53 - seconds
  • grayngrayn Frets: 891
    edited January 2018
    Schnozz said:
    I've been lucky enough to have owned four of 'em: 1981 SG2000, 1979 SG1000, 2013 SG1802 and a 2009 SG1000...

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/lhoAAOSwEzxYUG9V/$_86.JPG
    https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/G4QAAOSwx6pYoKbZ/$_86.JPG
    Bang for buck they're far better than PRS and Gibson...Which is why I kept going back and it's the same deal for the SA or BB Series. Yamaha's RRP has gone up a lot recently, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be the case and Tokai/Deviser may need to start flying the flag alone.

'Jap Crap' was used a lot on Basschat, but sometimes it was justified if the Bass was made of Sen Ash (awful!! Don't know why Levinson use it), but the stuff made by Navigator (ESP) was incredible etc.

Congrats on the purchase!! Enjoy 
    Yeah! I'd love one of those SG1802s, too. What a classic. Fortunately for me, Frets were doing the SG1820 for a great price. PMT are asking for over 3 grand, to order one in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JerkMoans said:
    THAT is coooooooool.  Makes me wanna dig out my SG 2000.  They used to call these Yammies Les Paul killers... Reckon you're in for a ton of fun.
    They do most things an LP will do plus a little more. What an LP does that an SG2000 won't is be a little more raucous and rather less polite into an amp with rocky overdrive.

I say SG2k is the guitar Gibson should have built but didn't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I dislike the LP Killer stuff. Les Pauls come in so many shapes and sizes, with quite a variety of woods and pickups. The higher end SGs and Gibbo LPs are different fish, no doubt. In my experience Yamaha's Q.C. is far better though.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2018
    grayn said:
    I dislike the LP Killer stuff. Les Pauls come in so many shapes and sizes, with quite a variety of woods and pickups. The higher end SGs and Gibbo LPs are different fish, no doubt. In my experience Yamaha's Q.C. is far better though.
    I know of 3 LP shapes, the SC shape we all know about, the SG style that Lester withdrew his name from in the early 60s, and the DC shape that turns up from time to time. Within the usual SC shape some are thinner from front-to-back.

The construction of the SG2k is similar to that of a Std Lester, except the neck is straight through. The body is mahogany with a maple cap.

You are right - Yamaha's QC is way more consistent, but this may be due to the CNC machines they make the guitars on giving them a way more consistent product to start with.

EDIT: they're side by side in this family photo
    http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/SolidFamily_zpsmdzohzin.jpg

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    https://flic.kr/p/23g7Aoj

My SG1000 from 1983. Hopefully gonna have her regretted  sorry refretted this year. 
  • jeztone2 said:

My SG1000 from 1983. Hopefully gonna have her regretted this year. 
    My advice: don't - I'm sure you'd be wracked with regret.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    The thing that amazes me is similar quality late 70s Yamaha basses like the BB series go for peanuts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jeztone2 said:

My SG1000 from 1983. Hopefully gonna have her regretted this year. 
    My advice: don't - I'm sure you'd be wracked with regret.
    Regarding the Les Paul Killer thing. The SG’s have a brighter top end which was always good for cleans. Hence people like Big Country and John McGeoch using them. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    grayn said:

In my view, the Japanese are at the top of the tree, now.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Model| SG1820
    Construction| Set Neck
    Scale Length| 24 3/4" (628.6mm)
    Fingerboard| Rosewood
    Radius| 13 3/4" (350mm)
    Frets| 22
    Body| Curved Maple, Mahogany
    Neck| Mahogany, mid rounded profile
    Bridge/Tailpiece| Tonepros AVRII/Tonepros T1Z
    Pickups| USA Seymour Duncan ‘59 Covered
    Tuners| Grover Locking Tuner
    Pickup Switch| 3-Position Toggle(Switchcraft)
    Controls| Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Neck Tone, Bridge Tone
    Color| Brown Sunburst
    Case| Deluxe fitted hard shell

And yet they still use American pickups, hardware and switches.  ;)

What is the weight BTW?
    edited January 2018
    Neil said:
    grayn said:

In my view, the Japanese are at the top of the tree, now.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Model| SG1820
    Construction| Set Neck
    Scale Length| 24 3/4" (628.6mm)
    Fingerboard| Rosewood
    Radius| 13 3/4" (350mm)
    Frets| 22
    Body| Curved Maple, Mahogany
    Neck| Mahogany, mid rounded profile
    Bridge/Tailpiece| Tonepros AVRII/Tonepros T1Z
    Pickups| USA Seymour Duncan ‘59 Covered
    Tuners| Grover Locking Tuner
    Pickup Switch| 3-Position Toggle(Switchcraft)
    Controls| Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Neck Tone, Bridge Tone
    Color| Brown Sunburst
    Case| Deluxe fitted hard shell

And yet they still use American pickups, hardware and switches.  ;)

What is the weight BTW?
    Well, there's always room for improvement. Haven't weighed it but it's pretty weighty.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6397
    JerkMoans said:
    57Deluxe said:
    the only thing against Yamaha SGxxxx/2000 series is that Spandeau Balleteters pranced around with them in the 80s...

True.
    Excellent work sir ! LOL'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • kurtrowe2000kurtrowe2000 Frets: 23
    edited December 2018
    I have the Vintage White SG1820 and I agree with all you say. An absolutely stunning guitar with incredible build quality. 

This thing doesnt just rival Gibson’s, it pulls their pants down and gives them a spanking. 

Mine thing I love is the sustain. You can pluck a string, go make a cup of tea and it’s still ringing when you get back. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    "JAP CRAP "
    How annoying that the American propaganda machine was able to brainwash people for so long ........they did the same with Harley Davidson in the 1970 /80s ....the bikes were 30 years behind the Japanese Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki etc but they were all JAPCRAP compared to Momma's Apple Pie .Buy American folks ! -just as the USA car manufacturers were also being sunk by Japanese imports.Pure Propaganda from Uncle Sam.
    The fact is that the Tokai, Yamaha, Greco premium products of the 70s and 80s was miles ahead of the contemporary American equivalents but the American machine seemed to make the slander stick like shit to a blanket .
     Japanese Waza (craftsmanship) has always been an almost religious experience (it takes 6 years to be a qualified Sushi Chef - ie to learn to cut up a side of fish ......the precision is incredible and an art...........calligraphy and metalwork are a lifetime study .......they made blades in the 17th century sharper than machines can make razors now )
    .........why would their guitar making be any less precise......it takes a man 6 months to make a single Shamisen ( Japanese string instrument and they have been doing it for 400 years )they have huge respect for musical instruments .
      Thank goodness that the public has become a bit more worldly in the last 20 years and this contrived smear campaign no longer has gravitas.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom