Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shipping a guitar from the UK to Italy -scam?

What's Hot
TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
I am trying to sell my Martin 00015 as listed here and on a few sale sites and I have been contacted by a buyer through gumtree who wants the guitar shipped to Italy. I’ve requested payment using PayPal gift, have warned that once the guitar is out of my hands that it’ll no longer be my responsibility and he has agreed to all of this. Why am I suspicious? One word...Gumtree. Oh and he suggested all mahogany guitars don’t come up often in Italy (which I was surprised by -someone here may be able to confirm or dispute).

I’ve wracked my brains for chargeback scams and all sorts and can’t see a flaw. Seems too good to be true, I even suggested we complete through reverb.com for buyer/seller security and he has agreed. 

Am I missing something fretboarders or being unnecessarily paranoid? 

(Hint: come on, someone make my life easier and let’s sell this one closer to home). ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds genuine if he is willing to agree to your terms. I sold a guitar to a guy in Italy and no problems at all.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    There is a flaw with Paypal gift I believe. If the buyer funds the purchase via credit card and then initiates a chargeback via the credit card company then paypal will take the money back from you.

I don't know how common it is actually done, but I have seen it mentioned frequently enough to be very wary.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    edited January 2018
    NeilMcG said:
    There is a flaw with Paypal gift I believe. If the buyer funds the purchase via credit card and then initiates a chargeback via the credit card company then paypal will take the money back from you.

I don't know how common it is actually done, but I have seen it mentioned frequently enough to be very wary.
    Interesting... hadn’t heard of this one, thanks for the heads up Neil.

Anyone got any experience of seller protection if I make him go through reverb.com?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    @Teyeplayer it’s a trap! @shefguitar is the Italian buyer!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Tell him to Bank Transfer it to you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I don't know whether the suspicion is well-founded or not, but a lot of sellers have the rider "Will not ship to Italy".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    Does Italy still have a notoriously bad postal service?  It used to be that some companies refused to ship there at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    WezV said:
    Does Italy still have a notoriously bad postal service?  It used to be that some companies refused to ship there at all.
    Not sure about the postage but I’ve a feeling it’s still pretty corrupt. Edit: based upon what family over there say.
  • Weird seeing this up now, I’ve got an amp on ebay, collection only. I’ve just been contacted by an Italian who wants me to ship it there; I said no way mate not worth the hassle and he seems to think I’ve got something against Italians! 
    lonestar said:
    With South Yorkshire as his location and a postal address in Pescara. You sure lonestar? ;)
    Weird seeing this up now, I’ve got an amp on ebay, collection only. I’ve just been contacted by an Italian who wants me to ship it there; I said no way mate not worth the hassle and he seems to think I’ve got something against Italians! 
    Very interesting...didn’t say where he was located or give a name by any chance? (Pm if preferred).
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    With South Yorkshire as his location and a postal address in Pescara. You sure lonestar? ;)
    I’m sure! Did he not tell you that as a Nigerian prince he has lots of money to splash on guitars :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Speak to your Bank and ask for the safest payment method. Check that the IBAN system doesn't have any nasty loopholes in it.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Its like you've said to him "Don't rip me off" and he agreed.

So let's just lay it out plain:

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROTECTION ON THIS DEAL!

Now. Ask yourself. Do you feel lucky?
  • Weird seeing this up now, I’ve got an amp on ebay, collection only. I’ve just been contacted by an Italian who wants me to ship it there; I said no way mate not worth the hassle and he seems to think I’ve got something against Italians! 
    I listed some pedals on eBay recently as UK only and I still got contacted by a guy in the Netherlands asking me to relist them as EU wide as he wanted to buy them.

When I ignored him as I didn’t want the hassle and didn’t like his tone he went on a rant about Brexit, calling me an f’ing ignorant Brit and saying this is why everyone hates us! I even blocked his username and he sent me another message through another username and said he would keep doing it until I answered him! I ended up selling the pedals offline and removed the listings.
    2reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROTECTION ON THIS DEAL!

Now. Ask yourself. Do you feel lucky?
    I’m inclined to agree with you Chalky and must confess (as is pretty clear from my posting this thread), my gut instinct says avoid like the plague.

Funny isn’t it though, we pass money and guitars round this forum all the time; deal with the outside world however and someone saying ‘I really want to buy your guitar’ sets alarm bells off.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Gut feeling: You go against it, you sell the guitar and something goes wrong. All the time you will think, I knew I shouldn't have done it.

Gut feeling: You stick with it, you walk away. Sure, you may think I had a sale there. Consolation is that you haven't lost anything and you can wait for the next safe sale.

No brainer IMO - gut feeling every time for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
     Teyeplayer said:
    WezV said:
    Not sure about the postage but I’ve a feeling it’s still pretty corrupt. Edit: based upon what family over there say.
    @lukedlb for comment about parcel services in Italy
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    shefguitar said:
     I even blocked his username and he sent me another message through another username and said he would keep doing it until I answered him! I ended up selling the pedals offline and removed the listings.
    I had a similiar to do recently when selling a pedal, one fella on eBay was desperate to deal outside and didn’t get the meaning of ‘no’. Another on reverb got really arsey and verbally abusive because I wouldn’t accept his very low ball offer, almost seemed to think he could bully his way to getting me to agree. Crazy.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited January 2018
    Italy is the new Nigeria... they all hopped over
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>