Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shipping a guitar from the UK to Italy -scam?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Italy issues - fact #1

It is illegal to cycle on the roads in Italy at the weekends now without a  'Sunday' permit in form of yearly Tax 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12393
    Quite a few of us here use it.
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1251594/#Comment_1251594
    May take a few days to get your account validated, so open it as soon as possible. Best exchange rates of any of the comparable companies.
    Money transferred from your bank is with them almost instantly. Transfer to recipient takes one to two days.

That was a thread I started. I used Currencyfair eventually, it was a doddle to set up and the money went through by the next day (might even have been the same day, just there’s a five hour time difference between here and Florida so I don’t find out if my bro in law had got the funds till the following day.) Very simple and cheap. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    As before thanks for the responses guys.

I’ve decided to go with my gut and not go through with the risk of this sale. Having looked further into the name given by the buyer and various bits of info he’s given...well he’s used some Italian celebrity so I’m more suspicious than ever.

However, the responses here have been very insightful and I’m glad I asked your opinions. You’ve provided some invaluable info about selling throughout Europe (and the world) that at least makes this a possibility in future.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Weird...I have an amp on Ebay and have been contacted by someone in Italy asking how much to ship?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    spark240 said:
    Weird...I have an amp on Ebay and have been contacted by someone in Italy asking how much to ship?
    You should see the amount of amps my mate here in Italy buys from the Uk. Just get talking with them and try to suss them out. bank transfer with a week's clearance seems the best cover. you get the full details and the bank in the middle. eBay, paypal and so on do benefit the buyer..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So how would you ship an amp to Italy? Out of interest I ran a quote on interparcel, it came up as well over three hundred quid!!

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488

So how would you ship an amp to Italy? Out of interest I ran a quote on interparcel, it came up as well over three hundred quid!!

My mate picks up directly from his local shipper who organises everything with the uk shipper with a saving of a third. I see if my guy is going anywhere near the seller for door to door delivery by his van. Cost is 100£. 
  • Don't do it - with PPG there is no protection for you - it's a gift.

So if he gets the item then claims it was charged to a stolen / lost credit card he will get his money back and you will get nothing refunded, as you were sent a gift not payment for an item.

If he is willing to do PPG just get him to do a bank transfer or a transferwise transfer, here:

https://transferwise.com/
    Its the first time Ive heard of Transferwise - and I need to send some money overseas this week. Would anyone reccomend using this or have experience of timescales etc?
    I've used them a few times to send money to the states and they have been great - good exchange rates and pretty fast once you are registered!
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 200
    edited January 2018
    I had my guitar in the classifieds here.I had plenty of views and one silly offer.Then I received 
    a email from the south of France which I  dismissed thinking definitely a fraud.These emails kept
    coming so I replied to a few giving more details of the guitar.
    To cut a long story short after negotiations with me insisting no bank transfers and £’s only.Still 
    thinking this a scam The guy sent a copy of his Ryanair tickets landing at Stansted.At Stansted 
    he rings and say his only got euros .I insisted on pounds.
    To my amazement cab pulls come in pays cash (£’s).Turned out a really nice guy as we ended up
    in  local pub talking guitars.We still keep in touch,and I here all about how my old Martin’s doing.
    So you never know.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3231
    I had my guitar in the classifieds here.I had plenty of views and one silly offer.Then I received 
    a email from the south of France which I  dismissed thinking definitely a fraud.These emails kept
    To cut a long story short after negotiations with me insisting no bank transfers and £’s only.Still 
    thinking this a scam The guy sent a copy of his Ryanair tickets landing at Stansted.At Stansted 
    To my amazement cab pulls come in pays cash (£’s).Turned out a really nice guy as we ended up
    in  local pub talking guitars.We still keep in touch,and I here all about how my old Martin’s doing.
    So you never know.
    Wow, what an awesome story and doesn’t this just highlight the flip side; that we are often so sceptical we run the risk of missing out in valuable human contact and the opportunity for friendship as well as a sale? 
  • I had my guitar in the classifieds here.I had plenty of views and one silly offer.Then I received 
    So you never know.
    Wow, what an awesome story and doesn’t this just highlight the flip side; that we are often so sceptical we run the risk of missing out in valuable human contact and the opportunity for friendship as well as a sale? 

• I was so convinced this was a scam.I asked the buyer why my guitar,he said there was only two
    for sale in Europe mine and a heavy giged one in Holland.He certainly was a professional and his
    playing was top notch.I was more than pleased just to enjoy his playing which was amazing.Just
    shows the power of the w.w.w.and the FB.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    OnTheHunt said:
    Clashman said:
    I once sent an LP to Kaula Lumpa but was a bit suspiciuos of his address
    which was a unit on an industrial estate and smelt a rat when he asked me
    to state on the package it was a gift ...so when he claimed it had not
    arrived after a few weeks, I sent him an email saying I would inform customs
     namimg him and the LP as they had probably more than likely  lost it
    within a couple of hours he miraculously recieved the LP .....
    If you sent a package wrongly declaring it as a gift then it is you who has broken the law, not him.  Him requesting such is not illegal - you declaring it as such most definitely is.
    could be illegal in kula lumpa though? And possibly then responsible for the tax and perhaps the authorities would look closely at his other business etc.