Pet Illness :(

What's Hot

Comments

• Man I am so sorry. You may have a different take on it, but I'd pay the vet extra for a callout - indeed have done so previously. Mainly to avoid stressing the little furry one on his last day before crossing the Rainbow Bridge. You don't need to pay for a cremation, just bury him under his favourite tree (if you have a garden that is).

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Man I am so sorry. You may have a different take on it, but I'd pay the vet extra for a callout - indeed have done so previously. Mainly to avoid stressing the little furry one on his last day before crossing the Rainbow Bridge. You don't need to pay for a cremation, just bury him under his favourite tree (if you have a garden that is).

Yeah, that's an option - but the garden is tiny here, and from the cremation stuff I've seen I saw you can get a pebble thing for his ashes, and a plaque to go on it. At least it means when we move he can come with us :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    Man I am so sorry. You may have a different take on it, but I'd pay the vet extra for a callout - indeed have done so previously. Mainly to avoid stressing the little furry one on his last day before crossing the Rainbow Bridge. You don't need to pay for a cremation, just bury him under his favourite tree (if you have a garden that is).

Yeah, that's an option - but the garden is tiny here, and from the cremation stuff I've seen I saw you can get a pebble thing for his ashes, and a plaque to go on it. At least it means when we move he can come with us :)
    I hadn't thought of the plaque option - beginning to wish I had now. But you may prefer to let him go while he's on your lap at home so you don't have to boo hoo in the vet's.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    FarleyUK said:

I hadn't thought of the plaque option - beginning to wish I had now. But you may prefer to let him go while he's on your lap at home so you don't have to boo hoo in the vet's.
    Yeah, will have to play it by ear - but both vets have seen me boo hoo now. Nothing nice about a 6ft 5 guy who looks like a biker crying in the vets!
  • All the best. You have my sympathies. Letting Gibson go made me feel like Judas, even though I understood it was the right thing to do :(
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'm so sorry to hear about this, I really do know how you feel.  
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

I had the vet come to the house for my dog, I just figured he deserved to be in his home when he passed. He was a big dog, so burying him wasn't an option, so the vet arranged a private cremation ( there was 3 options cremated with others and disposed of, cremated with others and ashes back or cremated alone and ashes back) I had a pinch of his ashes added to the ink in a tattoo. 

The rest of the ash sits in a wooden box with his name on it in the living room.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Oh jeez, that's so sad. My sympathies.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    So sorry to hear this. :(

I know it's not much compensation, but of all the cats around the world who have a short, hard life, yours landed on his feet when he picked you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12372
    Sorry to hear the news. Always really hard when you lose a pet. 

We had an individual cremation done for our dog and got his ashes back. We thought about scattering him under a tree in the park where we walked him most, but then my wife came up with the idea of burying the ashes in a big plant pot in the back garden. Then he can come with us if or rather when we move. 
    edited January 2018
    Me again...!

Little dude is hanging in there - was expecting to have to put him down yesterday as he's now unable to eat 'solid' food; however, the vet didn't think he was in pain and he's not distressed, so have been giving him this liquid food which he loves - finished a load off yesterday! Also still grooming himself, purring, and using the litter tray.

So I don't think now is the time to make the call - even if it is incredibly stressful trying to look after him, that's certainly no reason to have him put down.

He's still very alert, even with the painkillers I'm giving him, although I suspect he might only have a few days left - but I intend to make them as good for him as possible.

Also realised I don't have any pics of me and him, so took a few the other day -

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Hang on in there little dude! 

Take some comfort in the fact that he’s had a better life has 99.9% of the cats in the world, doesn’t help much but I’m sure he’s wanted for nothing!

Incredible the grip that these little fur balls have on us isn’t it? 
  • Cats leave paw prints on your heart. All the best to you and the little furry one
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Cool !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Great to hear that Simba's still with you... and he's not in pain... and he's enjoying his liquid food.

If you get a chance to upload the rest of the new photos... would be great to see them.

edited January 2018
    Bloody typical.... literally an hour after the last update, he started to lie down in his litter tray. Picked him up and he made some pretty worrying noises, and went straight back to lying down in the litter. Picked him up again, he walked around a bit, then had a wee in the litter tray before going back on the sofa bed to sleep.

He looked completley out of it last night, and I've come to the sad conclusion he's had enough. I think the cancer has spread to his throat or mouth as well, as he's very agitated and vocal when trying to eat.

Of course, being a cat, he seems a lot perkier and alert this morning - but not being interested in feeding himself and being unable to walk etc. isn't how a cat should be, and he's looking at me sometimes like he's just had enough. So, I've made the call, and the vet is coming here between 11:30 and 12  

Devestated, even though I knew it was coming. Wouldn't be so bad if he was how he was last night, but of course he has to be all bright and alert and purring loads....!

Just went and got an inkpad to get a print of his paw for the memorial tattoo.

(And yes, I'd been bawling like a baby before I took the pic!)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    All the best mate. You're right though, do it now, or as my vet mate says, better a week too early than a day too late. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Sorry to hear that, mate - thoughts with you both.

• Awful - you're in my thoughts this morning. 

All the best
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    you are doing the right thing, it is never easy but it is our ultimate responsibility as pet owners to make that call. I've always known that when they stop eating for then you know it's time. I'd hate to suffer in my last days, at least we have that option for our pets not to let them suffer.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.