Been doing it wrong again.... (NGD)...and yet again

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Done it wrong again. Apparently.

Today's rather lovely arrival breaks one of my usual Les Paul rules. I don't like Cherry. (The other is I don't do neck breaks). This is a 1977 Tokai Les Paul Reborn. They didn't get to make them with Les Paul on the headstock before someone objected, causing the move to Reborn Old and then Love Rock. This is really clean for a 40 year old guitar....but arrived with an action that meant you could probably slide another les paul through the gap. 

Ok, bit of an exaggeration. But a quick tweak (probably due to travelling in the cold from Ireland) and it's spot on. Nice and weighty, with a 59ish neck the pickups seem to be quite low-wind, giving a beautiful smooth crest into breaking up. Pretty pleased. 

Once it had been tweaked and had a good run out it was time to fix the obvious issue. 

Turns out the spurious scratchplate was hiding two black marks in the top. But I kind of like that little imperfection in something so clean. So that works. 

Would have been rude not to sort out a Tokai family shot whilst messing about, so here it is with the 81 LS50 from @Limehouse_Blues - fitted with OX4s - and my 2015 LS128 with Mojo PAFs

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You got 3 yeses from me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Another Nice guitar Harry , :D 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Well cool!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Why do you keep buying the same guitar with different finishes?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    how many Les Pauls now @Ellwood?
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    how many Les Pauls now @Ellwood?

Will be 18 when the Ryder customs are finished.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why do you keep buying the same guitar with different finishes?
    Maybe because they aren't the same guitar with different finishes?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Looking forward to seeing the Ryder, ive know Anthony for @40 yrs and I’m literally round the corner, when you collect it I recommend popping to see Chris @ Rift amps as he’s just round the corner too
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Love the look of the Tokai on the right, nice acquisition!
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    edited January 2018
    Can I ask what you tweaked after it came in from the cold? Was it the neck? PS V nice as always, chap. 
    antifash said:
    Can I ask what you tweaked after it came in from the cold? Was it the neck? PS V nice as always, chap. 
    To be honest mate I just tweaked the bridge down. The neck doesn't seem to need anything - but will see how it is when it has settled into the warmer environment of the office. 

• ellwood said:
    I dont follow your collection religiously but the other day you posted 3 customs. Ok they were made by different manufacturers and probably have different pickups but for arguments sake they were all the same guitar.

Then today we have 3 les pauls with humbuckers and the same layout all made by Tokai?

Don't get me wrong, what you do with your money is your own business. I just don't get owning multiples of the same guitar in the volume you have. Unless you are Slash and you are back on tour?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ellwood said:
    I dont follow your collection religiously but the other day you posted 3 customs. Ok they were made by different manufacturers and probably have different pickups but for arguments sake they were all the same guitar.

Then today we have 3 les pauls with humbuckers and the same layout all made by Tokai?

Don't get me wrong, what you do with your money is your own business. I just don't get owning multiples of the same guitar in the volume you have. Unless you are Slash and you are back on tour?
    Nope. Not Slash. I think I'd have a few more if I was him...

And understand it might not be an approach for you.

When I was young and learning I really really really wanted a Les Paul. And there was no way I could afford even a decent copy. Now, thought an absolute shitload of hard work I'm in a position to indulge.

They are different though. Necks are different. Pickups make a difference. Bodies are different. I have PRS Singlecuts too, and you could say these are the same again - two humbuckers and two volume/two tone controls. But those are different again. In a different way. And different to each other too.

So there is variety within a format that I really like - and have always liked. I get that it's indulgent, and in the grand scheme of things not really necessary. But I enjoy them. I enjoy collecting them. I enjoy playing them. And I enjoy finding out about them. Picking up different era MIJ, and different era Gibsons all adds to that. 

If you find yourself in the east mids come and try them. You're more than welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair enough fella. There is method in the madness and damn right you should enjoy the fruits of your labours.

I have been in a similar position, although not as impressive. I owned 5 Jaguars once upon a time. Sold them all and kept the best one though :-D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fair enough fella. There is method in the madness and damn right you should enjoy the fruits of your labours.

I have been in a similar position, although not as impressive. I owned 5 Jaguars once upon a time. Sold them all and kept the best one though :-D

Have just seen you work in Hinckley. Which is where my office (and guitar stuff) is. Feel free to pop in. Kettle will be on...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    Do you actually have time to play them?!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I owned 5 Jaguars once upon a time. Sold them all and kept the best one though :-D

Awww. I want one. My missus says they're "dangerous" or some crap. Always spoils my fun.

Admittedly five could be a handful

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Do you actually have time to play them?!
    Not as much as I would like.

But will have one day.
  • ellwood said:
    Fair enough fella. There is method in the madness and damn right you should enjoy the fruits of your labours.

Have just seen you work in Hinckley. Which is where my office (and guitar stuff) is. Feel free to pop in. Kettle will be on...
    I used to, luckily I escaped Galliford Try.
    I'm in deepest, darkest Coventry now days.

Where abouts in Hinckley are you?
    ellwood said:

I used to, luckily I escaped Galliford Try.
    I'm in deepest, darkest Coventry now days.

Where abouts in Hinckley are you?
    Ha. Congrats! I’m just near the train station.