Do you set intonation with guitar laying flat or in playing position ?

What's Hot
So many yt videos ive watched where intonation is set with a guitar laying flat. I set mine with my st300 sonic research turbo tuner and ive always done it with guitar in playing position, what way do you do it ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Playing position! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    Playing position for final adjustment
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Playing position is the obvious and safest answer, but I don’t think there’s an appreciable difference
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Playing position is the only right answer!

If you lie the guitar flat (with or without the neck supported) gravity will slightly alter the relief, which will mean your intonation settings will be ‘out’ when the guitar is in the playing position.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Well by the logic expressed so far, the intonation on this Tele in front of me should change when I play it normal and then lay it on my lap and play it like a lap steel. I can't get any difference to register on my polytune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • It doesn't really matter. Intonation is such a compromise across the whole neck it becomes moot if you're perfect on the 12th fret but sounds like a dog on a different fret.
    Chalky said:
    Well by the logic expressed so far, the intonation on this Tele in front of me should change when I play it normal and then lay it on my lap and play it like a lap steel. I can't get any difference to register on my polytune.
    Try it with an SG or a PRS Custom 24 and you definitely would....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I set it in the position it’s going to be in when I’m playing it. Seems blindingly obvious, unless I’m missing something....
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Playing position is the only right answer!

If you lie the guitar flat (with or without the neck supported) gravity will slightly alter the relief, which will mean your intonation settings will be ‘out’ when the guitar is in the playing position.
    If your guitar is so flimsy that this will have any measurable effect, you should probably avoid even touching it for fear that it'd affect the intonation.

The fact is that variations in your finger pressure will have orders of magnitude more of an effect (y'know, an actually measurable one) than gravity, if the guitar construction is worth anything.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems like I'm the only one who does it with the guitar on the workbench, just seems easier to me. Never even thought there might be a different way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    edited January 2018

If your guitar is so flimsy that this will have any measurable effect, you should probably avoid even touching it for fear that it'd affect the intonation.

The fact is that variations in your finger pressure will have orders of magnitude more of an effect (y'know, an actually measurable one) than gravity, if the guitar construction is worth anything.
    It's quite easy to hear with some guitars - things like Gibson SGs with long mahogany necks mostly. You can easily see the action change quite drastically when you lie the guitar down, and that does affect the intonation.

Yes, the variations due to finger pressure are larger, but surely the point is to try to set the guitar up so that it will play properly in tune when the other variables are taken out... that's got to be the baseline, or you might as well not bother setting the intonation accurately at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

This is all assuming people lie their guitars down with the neck or body unsupported.

When I lie it down on my work table I have a cushion under the body and a support under the neck. With the weight distributed evenly there is no appreciable difference.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    playing position..

play every note as if it were your first
  • ICBM said:

It's quite easy to hear with some guitars - things like Gibson SGs with long mahogany necks mostly. You can easily see the action change quite drastically when you lie the guitar down, and that does affect the intonation.

Yes, the variations due to finger pressure are larger, but surely the point is to try to set the guitar up so that it will play properly in tune when the other variables are taken out... that's got to be the baseline, or you might as well not bother setting the intonation accurately at all.
    That strikes me as evidence of pretty terrible (and unstable) guitar design. Exactly the kind of guitar I tend to avoid buying, in fact ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    lie a guitar flat and especially with any neck rest, then tune it up - now lift the guitar up and play it and the tuning will have changed - lots of comments above to support that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Townsend used to use the ‘bendiness’ of SGs to add vibrato to chords....
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    The A note , g string 2nd fret is the classic ropey note, I intonate my tele very thoroughly indeed, but when tuning up I always run the G string a little flat in a sweetened tuning kind of way.

It always surprises me watching somebody advise about intonation as their guitar lies flat with an unsupported neck, I imagine their A major chord at the 2nd fret sounding drrrrrrrrnnnnnnghhh
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    I’ve a custom 24 with small neck heel and can’t perceive a difference flat or standing, but I assume most people like me would adjust the intonation with the guitar laid flat then pick it up to play it to check for any further adjustments needed?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    ICBM said:

That strikes me as evidence of pretty terrible (and unstable) guitar design. Exactly the kind of guitar I tend to avoid buying, in fact ;)
    I don’t really disagree, although I have to set them up too!

Actually it’s not a real problem if you’re aware of it, and as said above a flexible neck does have musical uses.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited January 2018
    I've always done it in playing position but not thought about it before.
    Even if there were a slight change in pitch, would that be enough to have a significant effect where the bridge saddles need to be?
    It's not a competition.