Do you set intonation with guitar laying flat or in playing position ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514

Even if there were a slight change in pitch, would that be enough to have a significant effect where the bridge saddles need to be?
    It's not the change in pitch, it's the change in relief and hence action height, which affects how much the string has to be 'bent' down to the frets and hence the pitch rise, and is what you're compensating for with the intonation adjustment.

It may not be that significant but it is definitely measurable with a good tuner, so you may as well do it right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I've always done it in playing position but not thought about it be before.
    Even if there were a slight change in pitch, would that be enough to have a significant effect where the bridge saddles need to be?
    I have Floyd Rose bridges..
    if you tune the guitar in the playing position and then lay it flat you'll see the tuning move
    on a Floyd this means the bridge is moving and therefore so are the saddles
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

It's not the change in pitch, it's the change in relief and hence action height, which affects how much the string has to be 'bent' down to the frets and hence the pitch rise, and is what you're compensating for with the intonation adjustment.

It may not be that significant but it is definitely measurable with a good tuner, so you may as well do it right.
    I did some measurements of my own using the Ultra-tuner in Amplitube 4. I found it difficult to get very precise measurements, but there appear to be small measurable effects. It's a bit academic because I always set things up in playing position and, as you say, 'you may as well do it right' to remove any possible doubt.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    One approach would be to consider that it's not relevant if the difference between methods is measurable on a tuner. It would only matter if the difference was at a perceivable threshold for human ears to detect it.

Also it isn't important whether you SET the action in a playing or lying flat position that matters but which position you CHECK it in. I'd wager virtually all of us would do that in the playing position. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    How can you not set intonation in anything other than playing position?
    And why would you even want to?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Sassafras said:
    Because holding a guitar in your lap + screw drivers = BAD...
  • One approach would be to consider that it's not relevant if the difference between methods is measurable on a tuner. It would only matter if the difference was at a perceivable threshold for human ears to detect it.

It's a fair point but it's about avoiding build up of errors for me. There are a whole bunch of things that affect the tuning of guitars while playing (temperature, drift with time..) that might lead to something that becomes discernible. I'd rather minimise possible sources of error, but maybe I'm a bit OCD about these things. Also, even though I might not hear it, someone else might :)
    It's not a competition.
  • Clarky said:
    if you tune the guitar in the playing position and then lay it flat you'll see the tuning move
    This ^^^  the effects of gravity on a heavy bridge!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    BOTH - -and when standing up with it...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This ^^^  the effects of gravity on a heavy bridge!
    Did you know, that if you put the arm on, and swivel it so that it's pointing forwards, it precisely counteracts the effect of gravity pulling the neck down, so that you can get perfect intonation with the guitar lying flat?

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Maynehead said:
    Sassafras said:
    Because holding a guitar in your lap + screw drivers = BAD...
    Hopefully you wouldn't be adjusting intonation with a compressed air power-driver.