Parting ways with your first "real" guitar

What's Hot
strat1990strat1990 Frets: 25
edited January 2018 in Guitar
My first "real" guitar, a Fender American Special Stratocaster, was a big purchase for me, costing just under £1k. I'd been playing for about 2 months at the time.

But recently, it has be wholly underplayed, as I'm favouring my MIM Strats over the budget U.S. model. I find them much more comfortable to play, even though they are basically the same guitar. 

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. Does sentimentality win over playability? 
"Pick your noses up!"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I basically lived wearing my Ibanez RG for 7 or 8 years. I can still play it better than any other guitar I own as it is very ingrained but I just dont have the urge to pick it up, so its been shipped out to my brother on life long lone.
    That way it is played and appreciated but still owned by me for sentiment more than anything.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Depends how you define "real" guitar, I consider mine as a G&L ASAT tribute tele.  Traded it in against a classic player strat and really missed it, until I got a roadworn tele and now I don't miss it any more.

My first actual guitar was an encore acoustic which my brother bought me, I destroyed it by falling on it whilst drunk and I regret that!
  • yes, my first "credible" guitar was a Columbus Hummingbird copy, I've still got it but haven't played it in ages. The body is too big for me to reach around (probably due to the size of my middle being twice what it was in 1974 when I bought the guitar) and the neck feels well baseball-bat compared to the necks of other guitars I've had since (both electric and acoustic).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

My first guitar was a Squire bought by my ex-wife.

When we separated I F***** it off, one less thing to take with me and gave me an excuse to buy another one! :)

I gave it to a charity shop hoping someone would appreciate it more than me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    My first real guitar was a Rickenbacker 4000, I still rue the day that I sold it even though I haven't touched a bass for over 20 years.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited January 2018
    Sob story here - first pro quality guitar I had was a Tokai Strat, tobacco sunburst. Didn’t realise how great Tokais were at the time - it was just a lot cheaper than a Fender. My first gigs were played with it. It’s the guitar I got really good on and bonded with. Took me through my student days. Saw me through several bands and recordings. Travelled with me around the world. And then it was stolen at a gig in Oxford. RIP Tokai -1987-1999. And I still miss it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first was a 1997 Squier Strat that I still have today. I didn't play it loads though at the beginning and I think it must have gone through a 5-10 year stint just sat there gathering dust. Only since I started teaching I used it a lot more and have since upgraded the pickups and a few hardware parts. It sounds better but obviously won't sound like a "proper" American strat but I can't bring myself to sell it as its now 20 years old and its been through the motions.

I like seeing guitars that are like 30+ years old and battered to shit, like its been played hard. The fretboard needs more wear I think, some of the paint finish is starting to peel which is cool. Let's hope I keep it for another 20 years!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I sold my first proper guitar, an Antoria Les Paul Gold Top.

I'm not kidding when I say I check *daily* on eBay if it ever comes back up for sale - I modded it extensively and it was pretty distinctive. I'd pay whatever it took to buy it back...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    impmann said:
    I sold my first proper guitar, an Antoria Les Paul Gold Top.

I'm not kidding when I say I check *daily* on eBay if it ever comes back up for sale - I modded it extensively and it was pretty distinctive. I'd pay whatever it took to buy it back...
    Same.

Gordon Smith GSII from 1988.
    Satin Cherry Red, Thick body, Kahler Flyer VIBRATO, Snot Green Schaller Tuners and a small (5mm) chunk out of the back of the neck on the treble side behind fret 6/7 where it fell over and caught the table edge on the way down.

I gave up searching daily for it but I never look past a GSII without checking.
    We *did* have the serial number written down years ago for insurance purposes but that bit of paper went west a long time ago.

Sold in a guitar shop (?) on Lord St. Southport in 1990 for cash.

Surely I was one of the small few to fit a Kahler Flyer to a GSII?
    It must be lurking somewhere.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Consider mine to be my 20yr old EKO Ranger 6 - given the legendary indestructibility, when I got a new acoustic I gave it to the local school music department.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    strat1990 said:
    My first "real" guitar, a Fender American Special Stratocaster, was a big purchase for me, costing just under £1k. I'd been playing for about 2 months at the time.

But recently, it has be wholly underplayed, as I'm favouring my MIM Strats over the budget U.S. model. I find them much more comfortable to play, even though they are basically the same guitar. 

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. Does sentimentality win over playability? 
    How are you defining 'real'?
  • Jalapeno said:
    Consider mine to be my 20yr old EKO Ranger 6 - given the legendary indestructibility, when I got a new acoustic I gave it to the local school music department.
    I've got a soft spot for those, would even like to have one ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Garthy said:
    strat1990 said:

Ie from a mainstream brand, Fender, Gibson, PRS, ect. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    strat1990 said:
    Garthy said:
    strat1990 said:

Ie from a mainstream brand, Fender, Gibson, PRS, ect. 
    Ok, mine is a Jackson Dinky, I'd never sell it as a) it means more to me than its likely selling price, b) I've spent far more on it than its likely selling price, c) it feels absolutely wonderful.
  • I had a Vintage VRS100 which was a very decent PRS copy. Once I got something "better" It took me about 18 months to pluck up the courage to sell it.

Literally the only time I think about it now is every few months when a topic like this comes up. Don't miss it at all. Should have sold it sooner.  

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I had mine on and off for about 30 years. I hadn’t played it for years. Sentimental reasons dictated I had to keep it, so I started picking it up again. I just couldn’t get on with the neck for some reason. Sold it. I was a bit sad when the guy drove off with it.
    Next day I was totally fine. Knew I’d done the right thing. Still got all the photos and memories..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2018
    Never! I still use it for practicing & songwriting. It's an old CIJ Squier Strat with a SD bridge HB, and it's perfect! 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    proggy said:
    My first real guitar was a Rickenbacker 4000, I still rue the day that I sold it even though I haven't touched a bass for over 20 years.
    Mine was a 4001; I've still got it and when I pop off it's being buried with me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    prowla said:
    proggy said:
    Mine was a 4001; I've still got it and when I pop off it's being buried with me!
    WIZ
  • Took it down and properly played it tonight. Gave me a change of heart, I can't sell it  :'(
    "Pick your noses up!"