The Bayeux Tapestry?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    Dominic said:

Absolutely correct ..........it's a great document albeit woven but a fantasy ....Harold Godwinson did not die poetically from an arrow in the eye.......he was hacked and bludgeoned to death 
    It's not impossible it was both. If the arrow wound wasn't immediately fatal - and it doesn't have to have been, King Henry V survived something very similar just below the eye - he would likely have been in no fit state to defend himself.

Battlefield deaths were generally horrific and not at all instantaneous until the advent of explosives.
    If I remember correctly one theory is the arrow is meant to be a 'divine justice' from Heaven - God punishing Harold and rewarding William. It didn't actually happen - in the tapestry it's simply an allegory. The Normans wrote everything down and stated that Harold was hacked to death in battle. It is believed the tapestry could have been commissioned by Edward the Confessor's widow  to gain favour with the Normans.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Seen it already on a school trip to France - was pretty underwhelming to be honest.  But then, I was about eleven at the time and the gun emplacements on the French beaches were far, far more interesting.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    ICBM said:
    Dominic said:

Absolutely correct ..........it's a great document albeit woven but a fantasy ....Harold Godwinson did not die poetically from an arrow in the eye.......he was hacked and bludgeoned to death 
    It's not impossible it was both. If the arrow wound wasn't immediately fatal - and it doesn't have to have been, King Henry V survived something very similar just below the eye - he would likely have been in no fit state to defend himself.

Battlefield deaths were generally horrific and not at all instantaneous until the advent of explosives.
    I understand decapitation by sword or axe is relatively instant
    You've obviously never tried beheading someone who's wearing full armour.
    It's a hell of a job, I can tell you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23239
    Dominic said:
    munckee said:

Is supposedly to be displayed in Britain after 'months of talks between culture departments'.

If you haven't already seen the tapestry, it's basically a fucking great long, single piece of embroidered piece of cloth which tells the story of an invasion of England by, you guessed it, the French.

Personally, I was totally underwhelmed when I saw it, frankly I've seen more impressive works of art by local 'artists' on walls in Margate. Mind you, I've also seen the Mona Lisa, and I found that to be a bit of a let down. When I visited the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao, I was mightily impressed with the building's architecture, but not with the shite inside it, so maybe I'm a just a philistine.

So, will you be going to see the tapestry when it arrives?

We were never conquered by the french FFS, they were norsemen (normans) who were given a bit of france to stop them taking paris.  Plus they defeated the saxon's who were german anyway.  conquered by the f'cking french indeed! : )
    apparently the bit with an arrow in the eye is a later repair so possibly not what was on the original Bayeux tapestry ( which is embroidery, not tapestry and also apparently not made in Bayeux). Despite the Radio 4 news today calling them French the Normans weren’t French, otherwise we would have always called them French and not Normans. 

It it would be interesting to see as an historical artefact, I guess. 

I heard someone on the radio this morning saying it may actually have been made in the UK (although presumably by Normans).

I'd like to see it.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    Dominic said:

Thats a @VimFuego post if ever I saw one.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    I’ve seen it in Bayeux. It’s going to need a fair bit of space and a light and climate controlled environment - so probably one of the big museums in London. I thought it was a fascinating record. The best bits are all the doodles round the edges of the main narrative that show all manner of goings on, some surprisingly rude. You can have some fun plotting the life of William as you travel around Normandy. 
  • PSN id : snakey33stoo
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16190
    edited January 2018
    The whole Battle of Hastings thing is quite strange..........Most would imagine that the Anglo Saxon hordes rallied to defeat William and the Normans as they jumped from their ships onto the beaches; In reality it was nothing like this;The Normans had landed and were running amok scaring the locals ,pillaging and raping the Sussex countryside for months before they met Harold in Battle.
     Meantime Harold was otherwise occupied.....he had sent word to William in civil fashion explaining that he was rather busy and would William do the gentlemanly thing and hold on for him for a few months.Reason being that in the same week  another Invader had landed 40 miles away in Kent and needed to be sorted out first.The other invader was also of Viking descent ,Harald Hardrada of Denmark who had formed a sneaky alliance with Tostig , Harold Godwinson's jealous brother.They had marched North and Harold had to ride North and defeat them in Yorkshire before charging back down South to meet William.William was aware of all this and happily pillaged Sussex and waited for Harold knowing he could easily have marched on London and ST Albans while Harold was busy with Tostig and Hardrada .
     What a Gentleman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Bloody typical of the French to depict themselves winning
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    He wasn't called William the Bastard for nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    Dominic said:

Full armour in 1066 eh? 

Nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the_twin said:
    I'd suspect that was his parentage wasn't it?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    Fretwired said:

Luckily the Normans weren't really French. Normandy wasn't part of France in 1066 and the Normans were descendants of Vikings who were given the area around Rouen by the French King as part of a peace treaty around 910.

Depends what you mean by 'French'.  France was made up of duchies.    They were client provinces of the French king, though.

Some Normans only were descended from vikings.
    pedal fiend
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72734
    edited January 2018
    Bridgehouse said:

Full armour in 1066 eh? 

Nope.
    No, but a chain-mail hooded shirt (can’t remember what it’s called but that’s the basic design) and a helmet. Highly unlikely you’d be able to cut through that in one go, even with an axe.

I don’t doubt at all that he was essentially hacked to death - that’s what the Normans themselves said. But the story of an arrow in the eye goes back a very long way too, and I certainly think it’s possible both are true. There’s nothing to say he wasn’t depicted twice on the tapestry - that’s how different parts of the story are done.

Carew said:
    Fretwired said:

Luckily the Normans weren't really French. Normandy wasn't part of France in 1066 and the Normans were descendants of Vikings who were given the area around Rouen by the French King as part of a peace treaty around 910.
    Depends what you mean by 'French'.  France was made up of duchies.    They were client provinces of the French king, though.

Some Normans only were descended from vikings.
    Only the aristocracy really. The bulk of the rank and file were certainly French.

If I remember rightly, it was a Breton contingent running away - either intentionally as a tactic, or because they'd genuinely had enough - that caused the English shield line to break in pursuit of them, and the Norman knights to then be able to get in and win the battle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I probably won’t get to see it, but I’ll cope..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Ah, so @fretmeister wasn't kidding when he said he could trace his forefathers back to the Norman conquest!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Carew said:
    France was made up of douches.
    fixed ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_twin said:
    he was a bastard in every sense of the word
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Full armour in 1066 eh? 

Nope.
    No, but a chain-mail hooded shirt (can’t remember what it’s called but that’s the basic design) and a helmet. Highly unlikely you’d be able to cut through that in one go, even with an axe.

I'm getting pedantic now, specially as a history graduate. However, my reply was in response to the suggestion that instant death only happened when modern warfare was introduced.

The reality is that all soldiers on the battlefield in 1066 were either offering their feudal duty or mercenaries. 

You went into battle with what you could afford - you had to acquire all your own kit. Some would have afforded chain mail, but for a low ranking archer, it would have been a leather jerkin at best. The neck would have been totally exposed. 

There is archeological evidence of early mediaeval battles (and late Middle Ages battles) of plenty of clean decapitations - most likely fast moving axe or swords men on horseback travelling at speed and timing a swing to hit said soldier from behind. 

Although we could argue over "instantaneous" if you like ;) Does a few seconds to blink count or are we talking nuclear-blast-instant-nanosecond-turns you to dust instant?