The Bayeux Tapestry?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Bridgehouse said:

I'm getting pedantic now, specially as a history graduate. However, my reply was in response to the suggestion that instant death only happened when modern warfare was introduced.

The reality is that all soldiers on the battlefield in 1066 were either offering their feudal duty or mercenaries. 

You went into battle with what you could afford - you had to acquire all your own kit. Some would have afforded chain mail, but for a low ranking archer, it would have been a leather jerkin at best. The neck would have been totally exposed. 

There is archeological evidence of early mediaeval battles (and late Middle Ages battles) of plenty of clean decapitations - most likely fast moving axe or swords men on horseback travelling at speed and timing a swing to hit said soldier from behind.
    Are you sure that wasn't execution of prisoners afterwards?

I will accept that in some circumstances death may have been pretty instantaneous - I'd imagine a warhammer to the head would have been too, at least without a helmet - but for the vast majority it was unlikely to be, even without armour.

I don't have any doubt that a fully-armoured (by the standards of the day) aristocrat like King Harold would have taken some effort to kill, and death would be unlikely to be quick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    the_twin said:
    He wasn't called William the Bastard for nothing.
    I'd suspect that was his parentage wasn't it?
    The story about his mother is worth reading, even if it may not be entirely true. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Full armour in 1066 eh? 

Nope.
    No, but a chain-mail hooded shirt (can’t remember what it’s called but that’s the basic design) and a helmet. Highly unlikely you’d be able to cut through that in one go, even with an axe.

I'm getting pedantic now, specially as a history graduate. However, my reply was in response to the suggestion that instant death only happened when modern warfare was introduced.

The reality is that all soldiers on the battlefield in 1066 were either offering their feudal duty or mercenaries. 

You went into battle with what you could afford - you had to acquire all your own kit. Some would have afforded chain mail, but for a low ranking archer, it would have been a leather jerkin at best. The neck would have been totally exposed. 

There is archeological evidence of early mediaeval battles (and late Middle Ages battles) of plenty of clean decapitations - most likely fast moving axe or swords men on horseback travelling at speed and timing a swing to hit said soldier from behind. 

Although we could argue over "instantaneous" if you like ;) Does a few seconds to blink count or are we talking nuclear-blast-instant-nanosecond-turns you to dust instant?
    look up the Housecarls.. and if memory serves, their weapon of choice was a the Daneaxe..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9

not true,  that may apply to the Norman army, but not the English.
    pedal fiend
  • Pronunciation. I heard a lot of BBC presenters saying it as Bye-yoh but I'm sure that's wrong. To be Bye-yoh it would have to be spelt Bayeaux. I think it should be (as I was taught when a kid) Bye-yerh.

Anyone else have an opinion?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    The French can stick their shitty moth-eaten bit of knitting right up their arses... I'll stick with the Bow Street Tapestry thanks.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Pronunciation. I heard a lot of BBC presenters saying it as Bye-yoh but I'm sure that's wrong. To be Bye-yoh it would have to be spelt Bayeaux. I think it should be (as I was taught when a kid) Bye-yerh.

Anyone else have an opinion?
    https://youtu.be/3S-I89XmxqI
  • 57Deluxe said:
    The French can stick their shitty moth-eaten bit of knitting right up their arses...
    If they think that letting us have it for a few weeks is sufficient inducement to pay them more money to secure their port AND take more migrants off their hands.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I say we keep it. It's more to English history than French.
    pedal fiend
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    BREAKING NEWS: The Bayeux Tapestry will spend 6 months in Wales during its loan to the UK from France.

A spokesman for the National Museum of Wales said “We haven’t decided yet where we’re going to display it. It’ll either be Bayeux, or by there.”
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    i say that when France loan it over that we keep it.   it's more important to English history than French history.  It belongs to us more than them.  Let's repatriate it.  Goodwill reparations for WW2 anyway.

Is this loan gonna be the real proper one or an old copy anyway?   ppl have been fooled before thinking they were seeing the real thing.
    pedal fiend
    I say that when they loan it to us that we keep it.  It's more important to English history than French.  :)
    Anyway, goodwill re: our help in WW2.

Will it definitely be the real proper one or some old copy?   cos ppl have been fooled before thinking they were seeing the real thing.
    pedal fiend
    test
    pedal fiend
  • @not_the_dj so both the BBC and I are wrong!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    My mum was, ahem, Chair of the Embroiderer's Guild. A few yrs back, she went over to attend a conference on its ongoing maintainance. It's all very serious stuff!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To celebrate the 950th anniversary of the battle, the good townsfolk (just the WI, actually) of Battle decided to create a new panel for it - a sequel, as it were.  I was delivering some stuff to the library (where it was being made) at the time and got collared by one of the old dears in charge - and so, should you ever see it, you can marvel at the bit of road I stitched! 
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    “I wouldn't wipe a donkey's arse with it love. What a load of old shit”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    Carew said:
    I say that when they loan it to us that we keep it.  It's more important to English history than French.  :)
    Anyway, goodwill re: our help in WW2.

Will it definitely be the real proper one or some old copy?   cos ppl have been fooled before thinking they were seeing the real thing.
    And maybe if we keep it then we can give back all the ancient Egyptian stuff and the Elgin marbles we stole. It could turn in a global version of Swap Shop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All this old stuff is good, it ought to be preserved but while it in our country we have to pay for its preservation and security. Unless we can show that inbound tourism generates more income than the cost of the preservation and security, why don't we give stuff back? Or is it that we think the original owners care a lot less about it than we do so this stuff is better off in our hands?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    All this old stuff is good, it ought to be preserved but while it in our country we have to pay for its preservation and security. Unless we can show that inbound tourism generates more income than the cost of the preservation and security, why don't we give stuff back? Or is it that we think the original owners care a lot less about it than we do so this stuff is better off in our hands?
    The argument always trotted out about keeping the Elgin Marbles was the huge amount of traffic pollution in Athens. I think it’s much better nowadays, probably on a par with London anyway. Can’t see why we’re hanging onto them tbh.