Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help with Vintage 1975 stratocaster (Frets too high?)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    deanbutler said:

Where on the body can you find out what the date is?
    Nowhere, at this production period. You have to go by features only.

Slightly later, they started putting little stickers with the serial number on them (and on the underside of the pickguard, although this has been replaced anyway), but they often fall off after the glue has finally dried out.

The good news is that as long as the features are correct - and they do look to be - then you can't prove the body is *not* original to the neck either! My guess from the history of the mods on it is that it's an original neck and body, even if almost nothing else apart from the neckplate and jackplate are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deanbutlerdeanbutler Frets: 6
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    deanbutler said:

Where on the body can you find out what the date is?
    Nowhere, at this production period. You have to go by features only.

Slightly later, they started putting little stickers with the serial number on them (and on the underside of the pickguard, although this has been replaced anyway), but they often fall off after the glue has finally dried out.

The good news is that as long as the features are correct - and they do look to be - then you can't prove the body is *not* original to the neck either! My guess from the history of the mods on it is that it's an original neck and body, even if almost nothing else apart from the neckplate and jackplate are.
    Was purchased from a guitar dealer with like 20 guitars for sale on ebay, so all seems good so far. Few
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/cwh1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Still need to see the stamp on the end of the neck really though, if you can.

The 'dealer' thing makes me worried now you've said that, if it was very cheap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Regarding changing anything my view is to get it set-up first and play it for a few weeks to a) decide if you like the feel, playability etc and b) to see what its attributes are and what you feel you need to change - No use spending £200/300 etc on upgraded parts if you hate the well it feels/plays

I don't know how it is set-up at this stage and what adjustments are required to maximise the set-up - Not sure if it is fine as is, needs work, or indeed if you have the ability to do basic set ups yourself

Again not sure if any fret dress is required to achieve a better set-up - such issues will generally need to be on a bench to evaluate

other comments regarding neck/originality then I agree with above last few comments
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    p90fool said:

I have a CBS rosewood neck bought brand new by me from Soho Soundhouse, who were the UK's biggest Fender dealer at that time;

http://i64.tinypic.com/21jty82.jpg
    Wow, what year is it? I don't think I've ever seen such a sharp transition on a Fender Tele neck.
    That is a bit of a trick of the light tbh, it's nowhere near that pronounced in fact. I was just illustrating that some CBS Fenders with rosewood boards have the side dots well into the maple.
    It's from late 1981.
  • Hey guys I know this is not all original at all and would have been a lot more if was. This is the closest to a nice beaten up 70s I could get. Will get some more pics up.
    nothing wrong with a non -original players grade guitar , so don't be 'embarrassed' by it - often with changes and a good set-up they can end up performing far better than a clean original example - so you still get the old mojo character but in many ways correct all the things Fender got wrong with that era
    Thanks for this. I like your way of looking at it :)
    You want to be sure you’ve got what you paid for though. Was the neck described as original? Have you taken it off to check the heel stamps?
    Hey, I only just got it in post this morning. I will be taking it to my local guitar shop for a setup  on weekend and will get the chap to look at these bits as I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
  • Hey guys I know this is not all original at all and would have been a lot more if was. This is the closest to a nice beaten up 70s I could get. Will get some more pics up.
    nothing wrong with a non -original players grade guitar , so don't be 'embarrassed' by it - often with changes and a good set-up they can end up performing far better than a clean original example - so you still get the old mojo character but in many ways correct all the things Fender got wrong with that era
    You want to be sure you’ve got what you paid for though. Was the neck described as original? Have you taken it off to check the heel stamps?
    Hey, I only got it in the post this morning. Will be taking it to my local guitar shop this weekend to get it set up and get the chap to look at it as I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
    Hey, I only just got it in post this morning. I will be taking it to my local guitar shop for a setup  on weekend and will get the chap to look at these bits as I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
    Hey, I only got it in the post this morning. Will be taking it to my local guitar shop this weekend to get it set up and get the chap to look at it as I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
  • Interesting thread! Explosive intro to FB - welcome aboard!!

Shipping a "vintage" guitar over from the States takes some balls!  I personally like the look of it - got a few stories to tell.

Any sepcific reason for a mid-70's Strat? You might have been able to get a late 70's one from the UK for a similar price ....
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Awesome strat. I'd be getting the Floyd right back on it though. How fucking cool are 70s strats with floyds!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    peteri said:

Massive, massive recommendation for Feline Guitars in Croydon, they've regretted 3 vintage guitars for me and each one has been superb.

What a fantastic idea - on your behalf, someone to take on board the angst and absolve you of all emotional negativity re. purchasing a guitar.

How long have Feline been offering a professional regretting service?

;)
    I wonder how much it would cost to take on your guitar regret??

It's beyond price.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Interesting thread! Explosive intro to FB - welcome aboard!!

Shipping a "vintage" guitar over from the States takes some balls!  I personally like the look of it - got a few stories to tell.

Any sepcific reason for a mid-70's Strat? You might have been able to get a late 70's one from the UK for a similar price ....
    Agreed! How did you get treated on duty/customs charges?
  • peteri said:

Not a sausage to pay on duties. Was £220 for the shipping so that must have covered the lot.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, we all know that it's not "original" and as long as you didn't pay "original" prices. you've got the makings of a lovely guitar that will have a little bit of mojo a newer guitar might not yet have, and sound and play well. Good for you! 
  • OK, we all know that it's not "original" and as long as you didn't pay "original" prices. you've got the makings of a lovely guitar that will have a little bit of mojo a newer guitar might not yet have, and sound and play well. Good for you! 
    Hey Thanks The Big Dipper nice way of putting it :)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    ICBM said:

Yes, dealers in vintage guitars aren't exactly known for their charity. 

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    peteri said:

Not a sausage to pay on duties. Was £220 for the shipping so that must have covered the lot.
    I see that particular dealer ships via FedEx for around £177 which leaves around £43 for the VAT (pretty much the VAT on the shipping only) so unless the guitar was incredibly cheap I really hope you don't get a letter letter from FedEx asking for the VAT.

FedEx usually pay the VAT for you and bill you for it later to get stuff through faster. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    ICBM said:

Yes, dealers in vintage guitars aren't exactly known for their charity. 

A dealer who supplies the  wrong info 'once' and you might put it down to lack of knowledge or an error, but when they do it  a number of times then that sets a trend for a well deserved dodgy reputation - But don't just put it down to dealers with misleading info, as many  times a private seller, either knowingly or unknowingly, can also be at fault 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Neil said:

I see that particular dealer ships via FedEx for around £177 which leaves around £43 for the VAT (pretty much the VAT on the shipping only) so unless the guitar was incredibly cheap I really hope you don't get a letter letter from FedEx asking for the VAT.

FedEx usually pay the VAT for you and bill you for it later to get stuff through faster. 
    Yes, if it was delivered FedEx, I'm afraid you can expect a customs bill in 2-4 weeks. I though my custom build from the states had gotten through, and spent all my money in celebration (what a dick). Obviously the ending involved a big bill coming through the letter box, and much sobbing about the resultant beans on toast meals.