Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help with Vintage 1975 stratocaster (Frets too high?)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ^this.

customs will charge you import duty on the price of the guitar. Then they will apply VAT on the total amount (cost of guitar, shipping and duty).
    fedex will charge you an admin fee as well...

So for example:
    guitar = £1000
    import duty=£32 (3.2%)
    shipping = £200

total = £1232 + vat £246.40

total cost = £1478.40

plus whatever admin charge fedex apply.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    That's a really cool guitar.  It's obviously been well used, which suggests there's plenty going for it.  Once you've got it set up and with pickups to your liking it'll be perfect.  Enjoy it.
  • thebreeze said:
    That's a really cool guitar.  It's obviously been well used, which suggests there's plenty going for it.  Once you've got it set up and with pickups to your liking it'll be perfect.  Enjoy it.
    Great stuff Breeze, good way of looking at it, Its battered as its been used and its been used because it played nice... Nice :) Really hope this is true.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    gusman2x said:
    Awesome strat. I'd be getting the Floyd right back on it though. How fucking cool are 70s strats with floyds!

I totally agree with this! Get it done well and you have an uber cool guitar and all of the unsightly wood dowling disappears, I had a 70s strat same colour, it was great.... Heavy but great, the pickup mods can only be a good thing, on 70s strats 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited January 2018
    That looks the dogs and I'm not really a Strat fan, congrats

If it were mine I'd already be scouring eBay for the correct parts and looking forward to buying them one by one over the next couple of years

Edit, just had a thought, what radius would this neck have? If it was old school 7.5 inches then maybe the high frets are a good idea (levelled of course)? 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited January 2018
    Definitely think that neck is a MIJ jobbie due to the fret markers

I hate to ask but what did you pay fella?

What makes you say that?

Fret markers on the maple were the norm in the 70s, I have a '73 strat with the same markers. the rosewood board was very thin so often wasn't the room for markers on it. 

Love my '73, Like the OP, mine isn't all original, and has had some changes, but the big thick neck is fantastic. 

Yours is very similar to mine. Don't let people put you down, there are some great 70s strats out there and I'm sure you'll fine yourself changing things as you go. At least with this you won't be worried about de-valuing it.. just have fun with it. That's what I do. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_ said:
    Definitely think that neck is a MIJ jobbie due to the fret markers

I hate to ask but what did you pay fella?

What makes you say that?

Fret markers on the maple were the norm in the 70s, I have a '73 strat with the same markers. the rosewood board was very thin so often wasn't the room for markers on it. 

Love my '73, Like the OP, mine isn't all original, and has had some changes, but the big thick neck is fantastic. 

Yours is very similar to mine. Don't let people put you down, there are some great 70s strats out there and I'm sure you'll fine yourself changing things as you go. At least with this you won't be worried about de-valuing it.. just have fun with it. That's what I do. 

That is one awesome guitar. Wait a sec its very close to mine :) though yours is obviously a lot nicer and don't have a big whole where the Floyd Rose was. You cant have it all. Really plays so nice acoustically though there is some buzz on high E 14th Fret. I'm obviously no expe3rt but the neck feels really good to me so I'm confident its original.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Mine has had a few changes; trem blocks, tuners, and bridge pickup (Although it was replaced in the 70s). Mine also came with completely shot frets and I had to get a complete fret job done. Plays great now and like your acoustically sounds great..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deanbutlerdeanbutler Frets: 6
    edited January 2018
    Si_ said:
    Mine has had a few changes; trem blocks, tuners, and bridge pickup (Although it was replaced in the 70s). Mine also came with completely shot frets and I had to get a complete fret job done. Plays great now and like your acoustically sounds great..
    Hey Si, thats so cool to here that yours also sounds great acoustically we must have got a good batch. I watched once on a Lick Library video Michael Casswell saying the main thing is if it sounds good acoustically as that means its a good guitar and the body and neck work together well. After that you can do lots to get it to sound good through an amp.