What colour Strats are the easiest, and the hardest, to sell?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I would be interested to see peoples age in this thread. 

I think some of the more "senior" members have chromophobia.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

both get lots of likes and the colour seems to appeal to at least 25% of fender fans, but probably gets brought by less than 1%.  quite a lot just like a standard colour more, or realize a more standard one will be easier to move on, or lack the confidence to be a real man with a purpley pink guitar

You know it. If I ever see the J Mascis Jazzmaster in purple flake go second hand for the right price (i.e., not £200 more than a not-purple one) I'll be all over it.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    edited March 2014
    meltedbuzzbox;184789" said:

I think the messaging here has become somewhat confused between what colours sell more/less easily, and what colours people like. The former was the question originally asked, and age shouldn't impact that too much. It may be that younger people are more likely to like guitars in lurid colours, but if you were to average it out I think it would hold true that Strats in 'normal' colours sell fine, and those in the 'rare' colours generally take longer to shift or need reduced pricing to move.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    meltedbuzzbox;184789" said:

I think the messaging here has become somewhat confused between what colours sell more/less easily, and what colours people like. The former was the question originally asked, and age shouldn't impact that too much. It may be that younger people are more likely to like guitars in lurid colours, but if you were to average it out I think it would hold true that Strats in 'normal' colours sell fine, and those in the 'rare' colours generally take longer to shift or need reduced pricing to move.
    there is no fun in being sensible about it :-P

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    I am 57 and have recently purchased a pink strat.  I am sure it will be difficult to sell if I ever wanted to.  Sad really, that colour appears to be more important than tone, it was easily the best sounding one of approximately 50 I have tried over last couple of years.

I guess it is like the advice you get when selling your house...paint it all magnolia!  Yet living in such a house would be pretty awful.  Again perhaps I am unusual in that I like colour, strong bold colours.  Yet most don't, just look at cars on the road.  Most are pretty boring with grey being one of the most popular, along with black!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    edited March 2014
    I guess for general resale you are best off with the boring colours, red, black, white or sunburst.

Personally with the outrageous '50's design of the Strat I think they look best in '50's car type pastels.

Metallic (CAR) and flake colours do look good and evoke the Californian hot rod colours of the period.

I am a big fan of Chartreuse green that is found on the Dick Dale signature model.

Gorgeous!

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    How about this one @Bucket

http://www.ruokangas.com/?p=11499

I'm not shamelessly touting Ruokangas, I would actually have a Guitar in this "Bad Absinthe" Colour. Check the Guitar Builder feature, some nice Greens on there as well as lots of other splendid colours and finishes, it's a great toy to mess with anyway.

I'm not keen on 7 stringers though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The colour's quite cool, not sure about the fretboard.

That sparkly green Strat above though... oh my.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."