SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Possible Ebay scam alert

What's Hot
kipplekipple Frets: 354
edited January 2018 in Guitars £
Below is a link to an Ebay listing
I asked this Ebay seller a question about shipping pickup and he replied that he wanted paypal gift UPFRONT !
and stated the guitar would be available from a different address.
Call me suspicious if you like but it sounded like someone who has hacked an ebay account and is trying it on with a request for paypal gift so the money can go to a different paypal account.

Even if the seller was Legit I wouldnt pay Upfront with paypal Gift as it is just too risky due to lack of paypal/ebay protection.
knowing my luck the guitar would turn out to be another chinese fake. Or the guitar would arrive in bits 

The seller got very aggressive when I told him it was supicious asking for paypal gift upfront and he said I was trying to scam HIM !
This is the listing here. I advise cauition to anyone considering dealing with the seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-ECLIPSE-1-CTM-FULL-THICKNESS-2007-MINT/173108679581?hash=item284e14d39d:g:tosAAOSw401aTRI0

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    he is asking for cash on collection on the listing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited January 2018
    That's not what he said when I messaged him. He said Paypal gift upfront

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Did you offer him cash?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The seller has 100% positive feedback (63) in the last 12 months.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Maybe he comes across as being aggressive because he likes to WRITE STUFF IN BOLD CAPITALS.
    edited January 2018
    John_A said:
    Did you offer him cash?

I asked him would he ship the item and He stated he wanted paypal gift upfront for it to be shipped or for it to be picked up somewhere else. 

As soon as someone asks for Paypal Gift on an Ebay listing it starts to smell a bit funny....

edited January 2018
    Fretwired said:
    The seller has 100% positive feedback (63) in the last 12 months.
    Ebay accounts regularly get hacked and then typically the person who has hacked the account will ask for paypal Gift. Feedback does not count for anything then

He's obviously wanting to avoid the Paypal fees, I've sold stuff and bought stuff and paid/been paid in advance using bank transfer or PPG, it's not unreasonable to want payment prior to shipping.  Offer to pay paypal and cover the fees if you are concerned, sure he's an honest bloke that just doesn't want to had over a big lump of cash to Paypal
    edited January 2018
    John_A said:
    He's obviously wanting to avoid the Paypal fees, I've sold stuff and bought stuff and paid/been paid in advance using bank transfer or PPG, it's not unreasonable to want payment prior to shipping.  Offer to pay paypal and cover the fees if you are concerned, sure he's an honest bloke that just doesn't want to had over a big lump of cash to Paypal
    I would not say it is obvious at all and If I pay him paypal gift and I get burned are you going to cover my losses ?
    I would guess your answer would be no and neither will paypal or ebay. which is why I will not send £1100.00 gift

If a purchase is made through Ebay then for the protection to be valid paypal payment has to be made through Ebay shopping cart and altering the fees is not an option.
    Besides which the seller stated his objection was not fees he said He did not want to accept paypal because someone might swap parts from the guitar or send back a bag of bricks type thing and I do not believe him or trust him . 

I understand payment upfront for shipping is standard but I still wouldnt pay gift and to be clear the upfront comment was in reference to the pickup aspect.

I wouldnt pay paypal gift on ebay  .I would maybe sometimes do it on this forum as there is usually some sort of history but do it on Ebay with somebody totally unknown ? No chance.

It's to risky too ask or suggest a deal outside of Ebay as Ebay pick up on everthing in messages these days and I have already had My own Ebay account clamped for doing just that and have had to resort to using the miissus ebay account

I did an out of ebay deal very recently and paid bank transfer, the guitar turned up next day, as described and well packed, and I've done the same in reverse a good few times.  Maybe I'm too trusting
  • Also he could well be putting cash on collection/ppg upfront to remove the listing and save on the ebay fees as well as paypal...not comfy with it, tell them to jog on. 
    edited January 2018
    John_A said:
    I did an out of ebay deal very recently and paid bank transfer, the guitar turned up next day, as described and well packed, and I've done the same in reverse a good few times.  Maybe I'm too trusting
    No offense but I think that is asking for trouble and sooner or later someone will catch you out.

Just Last year I had a dickhead sell me a chinese fake Charvel guitar through Ebay and the fiasco was documented on this forum as I asked for advice here regarding the guitar . I paid with paypal and I got my money back but If I had paid with paypal gift I would of gotten burned.

Prior to that some clown in germany listed a Vintage Marshall 100 watt Superlead on Ebay and I paid him £1000 for it and it when it turned up it was not even the same amp as listed and the seller told me to go fuck myself when I challenged him.
    I paid with paypal so I was covered and I got my money and shipping back.

I bought a Laney Klipp from Ebay and when it turned up It was a Box full of brake pads...So no I do not trust people on Ebay.

If I had paid paypal gift on any of these Items I would of had my pants pulled down on the Money.

As soon as someone on ebay says they will only take paypal gift it sets off the alarm bells...

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some folks on here have been refusing PayPal as sellers due to the fear that the buyer will lodge a fraudulent claim and getvtheir money back. 

Kinda grim when you live miles away from where most of the sellers are..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    kipple said:
    John_A said:
    No offense but I think that is asking for trouble and sooner or later someone will catch you out.

None taken.  I do speak to them on the phone,  check their feedback etc first, but in my experience 'most' people are not out to scam you...must dash need to send bank details to a Nigerian prince :)
    edited January 2018
    John_A said:
    kipple said:
    John_A said:

None taken.  I do speak to them on the phone,  check their feedback etc first, but in my experience 'most' people are not out to scam you...must dash need to send bank details to a Nigerian prince
    Perhaps it's just me they are after ?
    Just because I'm Paranoid it doesen't mean everyone isn't out to get ME !! 
    I should add that I hope no one ever does try to do you over Cos it's a real twat if it does happen.

P.S. I bought a Charvel instead So He can stick his ESP Up his Bum

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200

Wow, sounds like you’ve had some bad luck there. 

There is an element of risk / trust with any eBay transaction.  But you can usually make a pretty good judgment of the quality of the seller from the listing and their feedback. 

I’d probably steer clear of this one.   

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6084
    Looks as if the seller is just trying to protect himself from being scammed. This is what happens when you have overly cautious people on both sides of a deal -

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    When i see cash on collection only. I assume the seller wants cash on collection only. Not that its a scam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    JezWynd said:
    Looks as if the seller is just trying to protect himself from being scammed. This is what happens when you have overly cautious people on both sides of a deal -

I do not really think having concerns about sending £1100.00 by paypal gift to someone I do not know for a guitar I have never seen is being overly cautious on my side of the deal.
    Plus most of the sellers feedback is for used items like toys that are £1.00-£5.00
    It's common sense to consider there is a risk attached to doing this 

edited January 2018
    JAYJO said:
    When i see cash on collection only. I assume the seller wants cash on collection only. Not that its a scam.
    He is not asking for cash on collection in the Ebay Messages ... He is asking for Paypal gift If shipped or paypal gift upfront if collected. 
    That is what he asked me for ..That doesen't seem risky to you ?

This discussion has been closed.