SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Possible Ebay scam alert

What's Hot

Comments

• kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    The guy clearly says in his listing

COLLECTION ONLY - PLEASE DON'T ASK IF I CAN SHIP  - UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE TOO MANY DISHONEST PEOPLE ABOUT FOR ME TO SHIP 

So he makes it clear that he doesn't want to ship because he believes that he could get scammed. 

Yet you ask him to ship. Why then are you surprised that he asked for payment up front. 

He is happy for people to pick up.

PICK UP IS OK JUST OFF OF M1 JUNCTION 35  (ROTHERHAM/SHEFFIELD}  

I am at a loss to understand what he's done wrong. 

All he has done is to send you on your way because you have asked him to do something that he clearly doesn't want to do.

So now he is being slagged of on a public forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited January 2018
    kerryboy said:

COLLECTION ONLY - PLEASE DON'T ASK IF I CAN SHIP  - UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE TOO MANY DISHONEST PEOPLE ABOUT FOR ME TO SHIP 

So he makes it clear that he doesn't want to ship because he believes that he could get scammed. 

Yet you ask him to ship. Why then are you surprised that he asked for payment up front. 

All he has done is to send you on your way because you have asked him to do something that he clearly doesn't want to do.

Yep that's about the size of it...why in ebay message ask for payment upfront by paypal gift it it is being collected. 
    that doesent strike you as being a bit Iffy ? really

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    kipple said:
    John_A said:
    Did you offer him cash?

I asked him would he ship the item and He stated he wanted paypal gift upfront for it to be shipped or for it to be picked up somewhere else. 

As soon as someone asks for Paypal Gift on an Ebay listing it starts to smell a bit funny....

'collected from somewhere else' is the key here, he's not prepared to drive X miles on the promise you're going to turn up, or turn up and mug him.  Like @jezwynd says, 2 over-cautious people coming to loggerheads.  

Just drive down and pick it up - Love my ESP Eclipse :)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited January 2018
    suppose the part where he asks for paypal gift upfront maybe or maybe
    He does not want to send the guitar. He does want to sell but at a low risk to himself. No one should post a guitar of that value imo. It is too easy for the buyer to say the guitar was not in the box when opened and the seller would lose out.
    His listing says cash on collection only so that is all you should consider. 
    Any messages asking for anything else as you say Gift up front may be to deter any potential tyre kickers. 
    That is my take on it.  if you smell a rat then go with your instinct. I would have insisted on cash on collection only as listed . I have spent over £1200 for an item on ebay with paypal  not gift.I spoke to the seller who was gutted taking a hit of over £120 but thats just the way the mop flops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    kipple said:
    kerryboy said:

Yep that's about the size of it...why in ebay message ask for payment upfront by paypal gift it it is being collected. 

I'd say you have overreacted bud. He doesn't want to ship and he also doesn't want to take a hit on paypal just to suit you.  Things didn't go your way. Your bad luck. Nothing that I see or hear 'yet' indicates to me that he was scamming you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PayPal gift transactions on eBay are illegal and you will not be covered if anything goes wrong. The guy seems legit.... but you're screwed if things go wrong.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    PayPal gift transactions on eBay are illegal and you will not be covered if anything goes wrong. The guy seems legit.... but you're screwed if things go wrong.

Paypal gift transactions might be against ebays increasingly draconian rules, but theyre not ‘illegal’
    edited January 2018
    kerryboy said:
    kipple said:
    kerryboy said:

I'd say you have overreacted bud. He doesn't want to ship and he also doesn't want to take a hit on paypal just to suit you.  Things didn't go your way. Your bad luck. Nothing that I see or hear 'yet' indicates to me that he was scamming you.
    You are right of course ..how did I not see this ?

I should just send £1100.00 paypal gift to someone on ebay first and then go to pick up the guitar and hope they will be at some random address.
    Or... I should send them £1100.00 paypal gift and hope they send me the guitar to me one day in one piece provided it doesen't get lost or if it even exists.
    When it's put like that it makes perfect sense no risk at all

How Did I get by in life without your guidance and little pearls of wisdom. do you have any other bright Ideas about how I should assess potential risks about sending large sums of my money to complete strangers or perhaps you can suggest other payment methods other than paypal gift that will ensure I have zero chance of ever recovering the money sent and no way of guaranteeing I am getting what I paid for. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^  No you should drive down to his house and had over the cash after inspecting the guitar - everyone's happy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6084
    kipple said:
    kerryboy said:
    kipple said:
    kerryboy said:

You are right of course ..how did I not see this ?

I should just send £1100.00 paypal gift to someone on ebay first and then go to pick up the guitar and hope they will be at some random address.
    Or... I should send them £1100.00 paypal gift and hope they send me the guitar to me one day in one piece provided it doesen't get lost or if it even exists.

How Did I get by in life without your guidance and little pearls of wisdom. do you have any other bright Ideas about how I should assess potential risks about sending large sums of my money to complete strangers or perhaps you can suggest other payment methods other than paypal gift that will ensure I have zero chance of ever recovering the money sent and no way of guaranteeing I am getting what I paid for. 
    U okay hun? Bad day?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018

• the guy clearly states he wants cash and collection in the ad, but you get defensive when you ask him to send it and he wants to protect himself fro you, who he doesnt know, but you expect him to take all the risk trusting you?
    edited January 2018

U okay hun? Bad day?
    No, you are being stupid now. Obviously you shouldn't do any of the things which you have stated above. And more importantly he has not stated in his listing that this is what he wants you to do.

But what you should have done (if you really wanted that guitar) was to drive over to the guys house and do the cash on collection deal which he has stated in his listing he is prepared.

He hasn't danced to your tune and now your pissed and making out he's in the wrong. 

Did you consider offering to pay by paypal and also adding on top the percentage charge they would bill him for. Bet you didn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    kipple said:
    kipple said:
    Ooooh
    Looks like the dummy is firmly out of the pram! 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Gotta love Fretboard :-p
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    kipple said:
    kipple said:
    Ooooh

Just the dummy?
    I think all the toys are out as well!
    m_c said:
    kipple said:
    kipple said:
    Ooooh

Just the dummy?
    I think all the toys are out as well!
    My dummy is out of the pram. I don't think so.

Look matey, the only thing you have achieved here is to blacken some guys character on a public forum, for one reason and one reason only, you didn't get the deal you wanted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Short version:

Seller says he won't post.

OP asks Seller to post.

OP broke rule 1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Shame for the deletions, I was enjoying that :)
This discussion has been closed.