Travel guitars - anyone got one/played one/recommend one?

What's Hot
NeillNeill Frets: 943
That's it really, I'm not talking here about scaled down guitars with under 24" scale length, I mean stuff like that Traveller guitar and the Hohner shorty etc., acoustic or electric.  I need something where portability is the priority. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited January 2018
    Shorty = super neck dive. I didn't like it and sold it within a week.

It's also not that small.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I had a Pignose guitar that I quite liked. Handy little built in amp was cool.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11373
    Sassafras said:
    I had a Pignose guitar that I quite liked. Handy little built in amp was cool.
    I had one as well, really good for what it was.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    Some people recommend taking the neck off a Fender and travelling with it like that.
  • No recommendations apart from DO NOT GET A BABY TAYLOR.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Elwood said:
    Shorty = super neck dive. I didn't like it and sold it within a week.

It's also not that small.
    Agree 100% 

I still have one that now lives in the attic. 
    Awful to play, had to have the bridge post removed, dowelled and redrilled in the correct place to get the intonation anywhere near. 

I travel a lot and now just take a full size guitar with a pocket pod in the bag. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2207
    edited January 2018
    I've got a Speedster Traveler guitar which I take on holidays as a part of my portable set up (picture below).

https://i.imgur.com/0E2aUcv.jpg

It's not a competition.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    I had one of these for a while

Bob Wileys Ministar dispenses with the traditional guitar body which adds little or nothing to its

Ministar.

It was surprisingly OK to play, and because the neck isn't compromised in any way, felt  fairly normal to play.

But I realised that most of my travelling was in the car, with a great big boot that could quite easily take a full size guitar in a gig bag, so I really didn't need a travel guitar.

Don't know if they're still around.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Steinberger. The current wooden ones are good and cheap. The pickups are bland into an amp, but work surprisingly well into an amp sim. I use one with ToneStack on iPhone when traveling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Steinberger. The current wooden ones are good and cheap. The pickups are bland into an amp, but work surprisingly well into an amp sim. I use one with ToneStack on iPhone when traveling. 
    That's useful feedback @mistercharlie my plan is to just have the guitar plugged into Garageband on an ipad, but Tonestack looks interesting.

What interface do you use, just out of interest.  I have the Apogee JAM which I've had for a while, I wondered if there was anything significantly better these days.   
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 615
    I've got a snapaxe by snapdragon that I bought from here. Google is your friend for review videos it is V1 it will easily fit inside the cabin overhead. I'm pleased with it.
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    I second the Hofner shorty comment,had one played once or twice,sold on.
  • Neill said:
    Steinberger. The current wooden ones are good and cheap. The pickups are bland into an amp, but work surprisingly well into an amp sim. I use one with ToneStack on iPhone when traveling. 
    That's useful feedback @mistercharlie my plan is to just have the guitar plugged into Garageband on an ipad, but Tonestack looks interesting.

What interface do you use, just out of interest.  I have the Apogee JAM which I've had for a while, I wondered if there was anything significantly better these days.   
    I have a Line 6 Sonic Port, which I like, because it has lots of ins and outs. It doesn’t charge the iPad or iPhone though, and it doesn’t work with regular USB (no available cable). 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    edited January 2018
    I'll second the Steinberger, on size anyway - when I used to travel a lot I had a Hohner G3T and a Line 6 Pocket POD. The guitar was small enough to go in an overhead locker on a plane, the POD small enough to fit in, well, a pocket. Mind you, this was about 6 years ago, I've heard some airlines are a lot fussier about what you take on board these days.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 635
    The Ministars caught my eye a few years ago also. They were sold in the UK by Play Away, so they do occasionally pop up on eBay. I'd point you in the direction of the Play Away site, but sadly the owner has died. He seemed a nice bloke when I called for a chat; I was specifically interested in the Jazzstar, but it wasn't available at the time.

TheBone is a similar but much more expensive design, and Hirsch makes a monstrously expensive option – but I assume that, just as I was, you're after something cheap and cheerful. The Pignose ticks that box. It's a good laugh. So, too, I imagine, is the Fernandes Nomad, but I've not played one of those.
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited January 2018
    Try a Yamaha SLG. The neck is a little thick but it ticks most boxes.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    thebreeze said:
    Some people recommend taking the neck off a Fender and travelling with it like that.
    This everytime
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I bought @TTony ‘s Ministar from him and I like it a lot... it’s been on many family holidays with me. Assembling it is a little tedious and I will concede it does look a bit ridiculous.
    I also have a Traveler Guitars EG1 which is great too and requires no assembly prior to playing. It’s an utter bastard to restring though.

This is the original and best though... (not that I’ll be taking it traveling).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    edited January 2018
    Check out Snap Dragon gtrs - they have quite a range, the Gibson scale neck rotates 180 degrees: clever design - I have this one which has a piezo, but they do solid electrics too

folds to carry-on size

this one is cool:
    http://www.snap-dragon-guitars.co.uk/snap-dragon-e-flite-3-p.asp

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Voyage-Air, perhaps? An old mate of mine uses one professionally in the States and loves it:

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/