Bad back and electric guitar

What's Hot
So at the late age of 57 I decided that I wanted to learn to play guitar. I bought an acoustic to start with (Faith Saturn) and really enjoy (learning to) playing it. Then as I love guitar based music (indie/rock) I had an itch to go electric, so have ended up with a Squier CV Telecaster which (to me) is super lovely. In recent years I've been developing a dodgy back (think about 4 inches up from the base of the back) and I suspect that guitars, especially the Telecaster weighing in at 8lb 4oz aren't helping! 

I try to sit on something which won't allow me to slouch but I still don't think my posture when playing is great, I do spend sometime stood playing but do prefer to be seated.

The acoustic is definitely lighter and has less effect on my back, so I'm thinking hollow/semi hollow guitars,

Anyone else had this problem, any advice!? I'm enjoying the learning curve (most of the time) and don't want to give up: )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Even 335s can be a bit weighty. Maybe a 339 would be lighter as there's less of it. Or an SG, I think my SG is one of the lightest guitars I've got.
    • Try adjusting the strap so the guitar is in the same position standing as it is when you are sitting.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3079
    If you like you Tele, perhaps try a Tele Thinline or similar...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    I have a G&L ASAT semi-hollow which is essentially G&L's take on a Thinline Tele. Decent guitar and weighs next to nothing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Fender Custom Shop Telecaster, Esquire and Nocaster guitars are solid body but weigh next to nothing. Ditto the redwood limited edition models. Shame about the prices.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    • Even 335s can be a bit weighty. Maybe a 339 would be lighter as there's less of it. Or an SG, I think my SG is one of the lightest guitars I've got.
    • Try adjusting the strap so the guitar is in the same position standing as it is when you are sitting.
    You've hit on two of my thought in one go! I do try and get the strap so when seated both my legs and back ar carrying the weight. And as you say a 339 might be better for me. the weight between 335 and 339 seems to be at least a 1lb different and while it doesn't sound a lot my back breathes a sigh of relief! 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited January 2018
    Wow... a lot happened while I was writing my reply! Thinline Tele... weighs next to nothing... might be right up my street: )
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited January 2018
    SG's are pretty light, they average around 6lbs.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited January 2018
    SG's are pretty light, they average around 6lbs.
    Really? Worth check out then! Why they so light?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11372
    edited January 2018
    Have you tried a double guitar strap? It might help distribute the weight a bit more.
  • scrumhalf said:
    Have you tried a double guitar strap? It might help distribute the weight a bit more.
    No... never heard of one, I'll Google it!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    we could talk about guitars and the weight of them all day here but it does sound to me like you maybe need to re-evaluate what it is that you're siting on when you're playing (if you do indeed prefer to be seated) and work on your posture rather than the guitar itself 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
    we could talk about guitars and the weight of them all day here but it does sound to me like you maybe need to re-evaluate what it is that you're siting on when you're playing (if you do indeed prefer to be seated) and work on your posture rather than the guitar itself 
    Yep, I'm up for that... what do you suggest?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    Steinberger

the upmarket answer is a Forshage, but you'd need to be a few years further in to spend that amount I suspect
  • I am in exactly the same position, weight is a real factor. I have a Parker Fly which is as light as a feather and great to play but I love the sound of my newly acquired CV Telecaster which feels twice as heavy. I also have a lovely old Tanglewood 335 clone with BK pickups and it is wonderful but it weighs a ton. The Parker is the most practical, but the others are more exhilarating so I will just have to sit down more often.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    are you playing the acoustic standing up?

I never play standing up, if you don't need to , then sort out a guitar playing seat, and a  foot stool if you need it
    Even my heaviest guitar is not that much trouble when sitting
  • I am in exactly the same position, weight is a real factor. I have a Parker Fly which is as light as a feather and great to play but I love the sound of my newly acquired CV Telecaster which feels twice as heavy. I also have a lovely old Tanglewood 335 clone with BK pickups and it is wonderful but it weighs a ton. The Parker is the most practical, but the others are more exhilarating so I will just have to sit down more often.
    As a traditionalist I want to own a 335 type but from what you say it's no good for me. Unfortunately I loath the look of the Parker Fly but my back whispers... go and have a look: )
  • Address the real issue and get your back seen to/do exercise to strengthen it etc?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27295
    My lightest are my SG standard, CS-336 , and thinline Cabronita Tele. All are around 6lb.

SGs in particular are so light because the body is is quite small and much much thinner than a Les Paul or Tele. The others are mostly hollow, which helps a lot. 

That said, I’d also echo the “strengthen back, improve posture” comments, as its something easy to overlook but can make a big difference, especially since so many of us have such sedentary lifestyles these days 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2906
    Yoga and bodweight exercise will sort that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The difference between a normal guitar and a lightweight guitar is about 3lbs. If that weight makes a big difference to your comfort then you have postural problems that need addressing - otherwise your lightweight guitar will be too heavy by next year.  Simplest is to get someone to take side-on pictures of you while you stand playing your guitar. I'm betting that the line from the middle of your hip through your shoulder to your ear is not straight. Your back is probably hunched and your ear is well forward of your shoulder. That forward head posture adds a lot of tilting weight to your back, rather more than 3lbs. Google Youtube videos on how to correct your posture - at your age it is not easy but it is the only way of fixing your back problem and more importantly preventing it getting worse and adding more problems.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom