Bad back and electric guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Address the real issue and get your back seen to/do exercise to strengthen it etc?

Beat me to it.

Try a series of core strengthening exercises, it will help no end.

You don't have to get down the gym, you can do it at home. Consider it part of your warm up!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITE said:
    Address the real issue and get your back seen to/do exercise to strengthen it etc?

Beat me to it.

Try a series of core strengthening exercises, it will help no end.

You don't have to get down the gym, you can do it at home. Consider it part of your warm up!

Makes sense to me... thanks: )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Oh, come on, talking about buying more guitars is so much more fun than going to a doctor.

Much less sensible of course...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Sorry guys you can talk all you like about posture but there comes a point/age when the difference between a small or light guitar and a big or heavy guitar makes a significant difference.  I'm in my early 60's and though I'm in pretty good shape over the last five years I've noticed increasing discomfort with certain guitars, I can't play a 335 style comfortably and though I really like my Hohner telecaster it weighs over 10lb and it isn't enjoyable to play anymore.  Conversely I also have a very heavy no name strat that I can manage with so it's not exclusively about weight.   I almost always play stood up BTW though I think that might change soon...

I'd suggest the OP tries a load of different guitars to see what feels right, there's so much to choose from these days, I had an Ibanez Artcore once that seemed to be weightless, I wish I'd hung onto it now. 

I'm actually looking at the SG.  I never got on with the SG in my younger days but I think I must give it another go, I do love the sound.  
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Bad posture may lead to trapped nerves in neck, ulna nerve (elbow) etc.(it did for me) set you back months. Your back pain may affect your posture so try and sort that out. I just do more walking and its surprising how much this helps. Forget fiddling around with any pedals on the floor, you will just end up on your knees.If your using them put them where you can easily reach them. I use a USA strat and Tele (52 rei) none are light but i can cope sitting or standing alternately. Take breaks! its easy to have lightbulb moments and plough on without realising youve been sitting awkwardly for a while.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    edited January 2018
    Ibanez S-series guitars are ridiculously light and thin. I've got a dicky shoulder and buying an Ibanez S really helped me play more guitar.

Or you could look for a used Yamaha RGX A2 (not made anymore but aren't expensive). These are made of a really lightweight material and weigh what feels like nothing. I used to have one and in fact I wish I'd kept it as it was excellening for the gigs I played with it.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited January 2018
    My Tele Professional (2017 model) is only 6.8lbs and is my lightest electric guitar by far. It's part of the reason why I play it the most for practice, as I suffer from back problems.
    My main gigging HSS Strat weighs in at 9 lb and, although that doesn't sound a huge amount more, I think there must be a threshold effect because it feels massively heavier.

Even though a guitar might not be much heavier I think it starts to bear down after extended periods of standing (for example during a gig). I once had to get through a gig sitting on a drum monitor. Then during my latter days of gigging I had to take a folding high barstool for occasions when my back would go. If/when I gig again I'll probably have to use a lighter guitar. I'm 62, so firmly a member of the old gits club.

Sitting down isn't a problem because I sit up straight and I adjust the strap so that the weight of the guitar is carried by a mixture of the strap and resting on my right leg.

It's not a competition.
  • mart said:
    Oh, come on, talking about buying more guitars is so much more fun than going to a doctor.

Much less sensible of course...
    Well I've decided to do some specific exercises and look for a lighter/more comfortable guitar: )

Bad posture leads to trapped nerves: Uhmm, I have had the odd twinge of sciatica recently!!

A to answer a few other points mention: Walking I do plenty of this... I love the outdoors!

When I sit I do start of trying to have a straight back and it does feel better but then I slip back in to a more slouched position. I did make a cube chair 'think cajon' so I wouldn't just sit on the edge of the settee and it helps a bit.

I was going to say I'm glad I'm not on my own with this but that sounds a bit shellfish: )

• I had exactly this problem (back issues and nerve damage in my shoulder), and I was in the fortunate position of being able to get Jaden Rose to make me a really lightweight modern Tele - it weighs 2.4kg.

However, as I discovered last night, it's not all about the weight. I took my self-built N4-ish guitar along to the gig, and something about the balance of it meant that it was just as comfy as the lightweight Tele despite being at least 1.5kg heavier.

Guitar construction aside, I think a wide strap really helps.
    <space for hire>
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Neill said:
    Sorry guys you can talk all you like about posture but there comes a point/age when the difference between a small or light guitar and a big or heavy guitar makes a significant difference.  I'm in my early 60's and though I'm in pretty good shape over the last five years I've noticed increasing discomfort with certain guitars, I can't play a 335 style comfortably and though I really like my Hohner telecaster it weighs over 10lb and it isn't enjoyable to play anymore.  Conversely I also have a very heavy no name strat that I can manage with so it's not exclusively about weight.   I almost always play stood up BTW though I think that might change soon...

I'd suggest the OP tries a load of different guitars to see what feels right, there's so much to choose from these days, I had an Ibanez Artcore once that seemed to be weightless, I wish I'd hung onto it now. 

I'm actually looking at the SG.  I never got on with the SG in my younger days but I think I must give it another go, I do love the sound.  

SG has other problems.  Because of the way it is built, the far end of the neck is way off to the left.  I don't think it leads to a good playing position.  I sold my SG because I used to get wrist pain if I played it for long periods.  Great guitars but the geometry isn't for everyone.

If the OP likes his Tele then the logical thing to do is find a lightweight Tele.   That might mean finding a light solid body or some kind of thinline.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8780
    ... I'm 62, so firmly a member of the old gits club ...
    Bloody youngster.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Guitars made of basswood are generally very light.
    I tried a cheap basswood Musicman or Ernie Ball guitar a while ago that was incredibly light and sounded pretty decent. Can't remember the exact model.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8780
    Seriously though. The solution is going to be a combination of posture, and instrument. It’s not just instrument weight, but the way you hold it. I wear a Les Paul or 335 high up, and close to my body, which ought to keep the weight closer to my core. However it means raining my head to see the fret position markers. A Telecaster however projects out at an angle. It’s much further from my body, but easy to spot neck position without moving my neck.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Chalky said:
    The difference between a normal guitar and a lightweight guitar is about 3lbs. If that weight makes a big difference to your comfort then you have postural problems that need addressing - otherwise your lightweight guitar will be too heavy by next year.  Simplest is to get someone to take side-on pictures of you while you stand playing your guitar. I'm betting that the line from the middle of your hip through your shoulder to your ear is not straight. Your back is probably hunched and your ear is well forward of your shoulder. That forward head posture adds a lot of tilting weight to your back, rather more than 3lbs. Google Youtube videos on how to correct your posture - at your age it is not easy but it is the only way of fixing your back problem and more importantly preventing it getting worse and adding more problems.
    I don't know how but I missed this post.... interesting. I'll have a look.

Thanks everyone there has been a lot of food for thought!
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    crunchman said:
    Neill said:

SG has other problems.  Because of the way it is built, the far end of the neck is way off to the left.  I don't think it leads to a good playing position.  I sold my SG because I used to get wrist pain if I played it for long periods.  Great guitars but the geometry isn't for everyone.

If the OP likes his Tele then the logical thing to do is find a lightweight Tele.   That might mean finding a light solid body or some kind of thinline.

Yeah that's why I never got on with it, if you are used to strat style guitars the SG does feel really strange, I just thought now I'm a lot older the lighter weight might compensate.

Ibanez S-series guitars are ridiculously light and thin. I've got a dicky shoulder and buying an Ibanez S really helped me play more guitar.

Or you could look for a used Yamaha RGX A2 (not made anymore but aren't expensive). These are made of a really lightweight material and weigh what feels like nothing. I used to have one and in fact I wish I'd kept it as it was excellening for the gigs I played with it.
    The A2 is a good call - they are incredibly light and Yamaha don't make a crap guitar.  I think they light up as well don't they? 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The OP likes his Telecaster.

The Brad Paisley Telecaster is light enough.
    Here are the weights of the 4 guitars in stock at Sweetwater.
    5lbs 13 oz
    6lbs
    5lbs 8oz
    6lbs

A grand (in the UK) is not cheap for a MIM guitar but possibly worth it in this case.

I would have thought it is a near certainty that Fender (at some point) are going to offer us a cheaper (non signature) MIM Telecaster with the same Spruce/Paulownia body?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Skipped said:
    The OP likes his Telecaster.

The Brad Paisley Telecaster is light enough.
    Here are the weights of the 4 guitars in stock at Sweetwater.
    5lbs 13 oz
    6lbs
    5lbs 8oz
    6lbs

A grand (in the UK) is not cheap for a MIM guitar but possibly worth it in this case.

I would have thought it is a near certainty that Fender (at some point) are going to offer us a cheaper (non signature) MIM Telecaster with the same Spruce/Paulownia body?

That sparkle finish and paisley scratchplate though!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5002
    An SG might work weight wise but they are very neck heavy. A chambered guitar like Anderson Drop Top is costly but will likely solve your problem. I have one and it is a lovely player and ticks a lot of the OPs problems. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    If you want a 335-type guitar that’s light, look for a Vox Virage II. There’s one in the shop I work for, it’s very light and comfortable to play. Also well made and sounds great.

The Vox name probably doesn’t do it any favours - they’re more thought of as an amp company, and their most famous guitars were the odd-shaped 60s ones of questionable build quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    How about using an on-stage type guitar holder?...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom