Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2018
    A big 'chappening' was promised at 8pm tonight- turns out it is a range of UK made versions of their models for around £3.5-4k. I don't think even Fender or Gibson can truly justify guitars of this price, but the fact Chapman think they can is somewhat mind boggling. When there are amazing artisan makers- including many fellows on this forum- who would make you anything you like for less.
    Does he make them himself? Maybe that is where the added value comes from  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Someone was told me this week how their grandfather has just bought (outright - as in ‘cash’) a Vauxhall Mokka in gold. My comment was I’d like to meet the person who sold it to him - as clearly they are the best sales person who’s ever lived.

Chappers could probably do with recruiting them....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    steer said:
    OK - so other comapnies make guitars at a same price. Thanks for pointing that out. Where are the threads questioning these other companies buisness methods and the critique of them?

Yet again a Chapan thread, where not one single person has seemingly even seen one of these guitars in the flesh, let alone played one..

people shit on gibson all the time. The others have won the right to charge that much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2331
    edited January 2018
    One thing I don’t understand is that the connections to the Andertons lot (and the bands of Chapman with Rob etc) are links to people who aren’t really (in my opinion) proper ‘songwriters’ or famous for writing amazing riffs or songs. Sure, some of them like Pete are amazing guitarists, but Dorje? I mean they are ok but to me if they didn’t have the connection to Rob etc, they’d never get off the ground. I’m not their target market and I don’t want to be harsh, but I don’t really hear ‘songs’, just techy riffs. They need a different vocalist. 

I dunno. I can’t see that they’ve toured their arses off and tried gaining momentum in the normal way. It just seems like an after thought. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    RMJ said:
    sted said: hi
    I don't get the USP for them, they are basically re-badged luthier built guitars based on other peoples designs (strats, tele's, LP's and explorers) They are basically the guitar equivalent of remould tyres.

Don't piss about. You know you're having one. Signature model probably. Reckon a gaudy ML2 would suit you down to the ground
    A sted signature model? Is that a really loud guitar that sounds permanently angry? lol!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    They look good to me .I cant buy one but I like that tele .If people didnt buy expensive guitars in large quantities quite a few shops would disappear  seeing as how they are full of expensive guitars .Some one must be bloody buying them so why not a Chapman too.Personally I would buy a Martyn Booth  but what do I know/ I just play .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    Someone was told me this week how their grandfather has just bought (outright - as in ‘cash’) a Vauxhall Mokka in gold. My comment was I’d like to meet the person who sold it to him - as clearly they are the best sales person who’s ever lived.

dafuq is a vauxhall mokka? a guitar?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    steer said:
    lonestar said:
    axisus said:
    Ho hum, another bash Chapman thread, how tiresome. 
    I don’t see any bashing, tbh. At £3500 people are entitled to ask questions. It’s not pocket change.

Hes going from Korean mass manufacturing where the most expensive model is about £1100(?) to UK handmade at triple the cost. That’s going to open up the floor to questions.

So... how many of his young and dedicated following will put up that sort of money? How many players over the age of 30 will go for one (given that they should have more knowledge of the market and possibly more income)? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t *care* as such but it’s a strange move.

At £3500 you could get..

Fender CS
    Gibson CS
    Nik Huber
    Feline
    Collings
    PRS Custom
    Suhr

What would be quite interesting to know is if they are going to have to start selling their 15 per month quota to trade customers in order to shift them?

Then again, maybe this is all a load of crap and they’ll do really well? Too early to say I guess
    OK - so other comapnies make guitars at a same price. Thanks for pointing that out. Where are the threads questioning these other companies buisness methods and the critique of them?

Yet again a Chapan thread, where not one single person has seemingly even seen one of these guitars in the flesh, let alone played one...

You own a Chapman... don’t you? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23037
    tony99 said:

dafuq is a vauxhall mokka? a guitar?
    Correct.  And I've got an Austin Allegro 12-string.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like that eggle electric!  Couldn’t stretch to 3 grand or whatever, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Ooooof! Some ugly ass guitars! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From the Chapman Guitars Twitter:

'Day 2 at the @NAMMShow thenammshow is a wrap! We’ve released the British Standard series which until today went under the code name ‘Yorkshire Puddings’. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the stand and to everyone watching our live videos and posts. We love you all very much'

'Yorkshire' eh? Does that narrow down the luthiers for anyone?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    From the Chapman Guitars Twitter:

'Day 2 at the @NAMMShow thenammshow is a wrap! We’ve released the British Standard series which until today went under the code name ‘Yorkshire Puddings’. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the stand and to everyone watching our live videos and posts. We love you all very much'

Aunt Bessie?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    From the Chapman Guitars Twitter:

They’re called that because they knew they’d get battered when the guitars were launched. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:

Yet again a Chapan thread, where not one single person has seemingly even seen one of these guitars in the flesh, let alone played one...

Some of us have followed Rob from the beginning, and been consistently disappointed with CGs with every exaggerated relaunch. I was totally on board with him to begin with, but the continual "This is THE BEST!" announcements, followed by actual products which can at best be described as "average", grate a bit after a while. There's no reason to think that this one will be any different, although I'd hazard a guess that you'll never meet somebody who owns one other than Lee Anderton himself (it should be noted that I think Lee's a top bloke and obviously a very savvy businessman, which is why this seems a little odd on the face of it).

Add to that the way he's treated a number of his business partners and endorsees (well, ex-endorsees after they got fed up with the "OOOO, shiny!" approach to endorsee support and buggered off), and it's not difficult to see why there's a resounding "Meh!" at this announcement.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    They should have the kitemark instead of infinity at the 12th fret.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    Plectrum said:
    Strat54 said:
    And I'm still wondering who buys Patrick Eggle guitars at £3k....but they do. They were the 'poor mans' PRS back in the 90's but they seemed to have re-invented themselves post bankruptcy as a prestige brand priced above PRS and Tom Anderson. I mean swamp as and bog oak with no finish for £3095...really?? 

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/patrick-james-eggle-96-hss-swamp-ash-white-with-bog-oak-neck-17636/

So who knows, maybe the U.S players will buy into the whole British built Chapman thing. Good luck.

You seem to be confused between the original Patrick Eggle Guitars (which are still going) and Patrick James Eggle. The man himself left the original company well before it's eventual demise and he has no connection with the old company even though they trade under his name. These days Patrick mainly builds acoustics.
    No not confused.....but I think you might be as he no longer builds acoustics.

http://www.eggle.co.uk/the-guitars
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    mbe said:
    They should have the kitemark instead of infinity at the 12th fret.
    Or a Yorkshire Pudding 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I personally believe that this is a pure brand elevation exercise, they want to co-habitat with Suhr, PRS and collectors choice Gibson instruments, they want the players who buy them to make this their 3rd guitar, they know they can’t stray too far from the allowable designs at this price, it’s as close to a safe risk as they are prepared to go.... where guitars are made (geographically) has always been fiercely contested but when you’re as good at marketing as Lee Anderton clearly is, you can make it seem hugely relevant. They’ve never released sales figures, and they won’t for this line either but let’s see what happens next....
    .... I’ll answer that question now shall I? Yes, it’s aluminium and yes it does stay in tune, even when you put the heating on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't get all the drama.
    Many forum favourites effectively churn out clones with a different name on the headstock.
    This is much the same thing except nobody has played one of these guitars. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom