Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    One thing I don’t understand is that the connections to the Andertons lot (and the bands of Chapman with Rob etc) are links to people who aren’t really (in my opinion) proper ‘songwriters’ or famous for writing amazing riffs or songs. Sure, some of them like Pete are amazing guitarists, but Dorje? I mean they are ok but to me if they didn’t have the connection to Rob etc, they’d never get off the ground. I’m not their target market and I don’t want to be harsh, but I don’t really hear ‘songs’, just techy riffs. They need a different vocalist. 

I dunno. I can’t see that they’ve toured their arses off and tried gaining momentum in the normal way. It just seems like an after thought. 

I saw Dorje live last year and it was a great gig
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Strat54 said:
    Plectrum said:
    Strat54 said:
    And I'm still wondering who buys Patrick Eggle guitars at £3k....but they do. They were the 'poor mans' PRS back in the 90's but they seemed to have re-invented themselves post bankruptcy as a prestige brand priced above PRS and Tom Anderson. I mean swamp as and bog oak with no finish for £3095...really?? 

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/patrick-james-eggle-96-hss-swamp-ash-white-with-bog-oak-neck-17636/

So who knows, maybe the U.S players will buy into the whole British built Chapman thing. Good luck.

You seem to be confused between the original Patrick Eggle Guitars (which are still going) and Patrick James Eggle. The man himself left the original company well before it's eventual demise and he has no connection with the old company even though they trade under his name. These days Patrick mainly builds acoustics.
    No not confused.....but I think you might be as he no longer builds acoustics.

http://www.eggle.co.uk/the-guitars

Not confused, just slightly out of date ;) The last time I looked as his site it was all acoustics.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited January 2018

I wonder what the depreciation would be like on one of these ..

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    sticker said:

I wonder what the depreciation would be like on one of these ..

3-4 grand..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 3.5k - 4k for a Chump Man. The "British Standard" ..LMAO, Should be called  the "British Elite" because the regular income  spotty face fanboys/girls/transgender millennials cannot afford them. "British Standard" indeed ..HAHAHAHAHA
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Andertons must be becoming a huge company now, judging by the links to That Pedal Show, Chapman, Victory, and the amount of staff they had at NAMM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's be honest here Andertons still claim that duesenberg guitars are made in Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

So I don't believe a word they say.
    I wonder if in fact they r going to be trying a duesenberg trick n just finishing the guitars of here in the uk then claiming thy are uk made with a big price tag. All smells fishy tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    edited January 2018
    Plectrum said:
    Strat54 said:
    Plectrum said:
    Strat54 said:
    And I'm still wondering who buys Patrick Eggle guitars at £3k....but they do. They were the 'poor mans' PRS back in the 90's but they seemed to have re-invented themselves post bankruptcy as a prestige brand priced above PRS and Tom Anderson. I mean swamp as and bog oak with no finish for £3095...really?? 

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/patrick-james-eggle-96-hss-swamp-ash-white-with-bog-oak-neck-17636/

So who knows, maybe the U.S players will buy into the whole British built Chapman thing. Good luck.

You seem to be confused between the original Patrick Eggle Guitars (which are still going) and Patrick James Eggle. The man himself left the original company well before it's eventual demise and he has no connection with the old company even though they trade under his name. These days Patrick mainly builds acoustics.
    No not confused.....but I think you might be as he no longer builds acoustics.

http://www.eggle.co.uk/the-guitars

Not confused, just slightly out of date The last time I looked as his site it was all acoustics.

His stall at the Birmingham Guitar Show last year was all electrics.  There was a singlecut style guitar that was absolutely stunning.

There are high quality UK makers that can compete with anyone - the likes of Eggle, Martyn Booth, Feline, Rob Williams, and in the past the late Sid Poole.  There is also Terry Morgan - although he doesn't normally put his own name on them.  I'm sure there are others I've missed.

Edit: I just realised that I mentioned Terry Morgan in a Chapman thread.  I hope it doesn't cause the world to end!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Let's be honest here Andertons still claim that duesenberg guitars are made in Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if in fact they r going to be trying a duesenberg trick n just finishing the guitars of here in the uk then claiming thy are uk made with a big price tag. All smells fishy tbh

I hope at that price the entire guitar is made here, but then again they could import the raw materials from the Pro line factory and assemble them here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's be honest here Andertons still claim that duesenberg guitars are made in Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope at that price the entire guitar is made here, but then again they could import the raw materials from the Pro line factory and assemble them here?
    To be fair, the designs are subtly different, so I'm pretty sure they're made here.
    <space for hire>

Yeah but look at what duesenberg do n their prices!!!!!!!!

I just can't handle the constant pushing and marketing. I am very cynical of anything like this.

If Ernie Ball can make high end guitars like the Valentine for £2200, and that is with importing the guitar as well, why do these cost so much?

Why have Chapman ditched well known pickups for their own? Profit margins?

• Why have Chapman ditched well known pickups for their own? Profit margins?

That's also probably an exclusivity thing.  No idea if they're any good or not, but it's likely they're in some way exclusive to these instruments
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    AlexC said:
    . So this kind of market - who the hell is it aimed at?
    I'd ring Watchdog, they love a chance to crackdown on those who exploit the mentally ill.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Hang on, if the Chinese do a cheap fake knock off version of these, a la Chibson, what the hell are we going to call them??!!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Has it been clarified if these are going to be custom order?

If so, then from their point of view it's a very low risk business model.

But from a customers point of view ordering, and paying such a premium, for a custom order UK made guitar would for me at least mean I would want just that, a custom order guitar where I could select from a good range of material, hardware and colour options.  Preferably neck carve as well.

There is of course the issue of build time, and I can't see anyone paying thousands, and waiting months, for one of these when there are such well respected custom shops out there.

If they are going to be built as per dealers specifications, which they then add to their stock, then that's another matter, and I still can't see many actually buying one, but good luck to them.
  • Hang on, if the Chinese do a cheap fake knock off version of these, a la Chibson, what the hell are we going to call them??!!
    Presumably Cheapman guitars lol
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Hang on, if the Chinese do a cheap fake knock off version of these, a la Chibson, what the hell are we going to call them??!!
    “Crapman”?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22890
    Chap-Taiwan?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2018
    PukiBusuk said:
    3.5k - 4k for a Chump Man. The "British Standard" ..LMAO, Should be called  the "British Elite" because the regular income  spotty face fanboys/girls/transgender millennials cannot afford them. "British Standard" indeed ..HAHAHAHAHA
    Yawn.

From what I've read they'll be selling very low numbers and buyers will be able to spec much of the guitar. And as far as I am aware I haven't seen any prices, so not sure where the £3K to £4K comes from. I know some luthiers making good money building high quality guitars in small numbers. I had a Tele made to my own spec by one .. great guitar.

Lee and Rob are smart. Rob's carved a great career for himself as a YouTube celeb, band leader and owner of a guitar brand which is sold all over the world. I'm trying to work out where it's all gone wrong for him ... but I can't. He was at NAMM launching a new guitar line while most of those criticising him on here were off to work at their dead end boring office jobs, and probably see ranting on here as the highlight of their mundane day - very sad.

Rob's laughing all the way to the bank .. I think he and Rabea are top blokes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom