2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    8 miles tonight. Bit hot! And took a wrong turn so ran nearly 2 miles more than I’d planned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mcsdan said:
    joneve said:
    5.2 mile run yesterday after a 73 mile cycle; followed by a 3.1 mile run today. 

100 mile goal reached :D
    Well done joneve :)
    Thanks! Was hard at times, but proper sense of achievement. 

Next targets are to not die next weekend for the middle distance tri and to get a sub 24 min 5km and sub-50 min 10km before the end of the year. 
  • I've been hiding from this thread as I got sciatica towards the end of last year and found it very hard to get back in to running.   I've restarted by doing C25K, again, and I've completed week 5 , the week's last run being 3.2km, as of Friday morning.

I'm kinda enjoying it, well the sense of achievement, of completing each run. 
  • @joneve , if you're doing a sub 50min 10k, do you still have to fuel up during the run?
    @joneve , if you're doing a sub 50min 10k, do you still have to fuel up during the run?
    No, usually anything 10km or less I won’t run with nutrition/hydration I should be able to maintain the pace required for sub-50 without having to have a gel etc during the run...maybe that’s the push I need?! 

For longer runs it depends how far wgich decides if i take fluid with fluid with me or not (for instance my 8 mile run on thurs evening involved taking on zero fluid until I got home... which in hindsight was probably stupid as it was 31 degrees!) 
    So, I didn’t get out on the bike this weekend, due to the shocking weather and being paranoid about stacking it and injuring myself before next weekend, so instead went out for 6km this evening. 

Ended up with a 5km PB, 10km PB (by nearly 4 mins) and the knock on effect of that is that I achieved my goal of sub-24 min 5km and sub-50min 10km. 

Properly chuffed! 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    joneve said:
    So, I didn’t get out on the bike this weekend, due to the shocking weather and being paranoid about stacking it and injuring myself before next weekend, so instead went out for 6km this evening. 

Ended up with a 5km PB, 10km PB (by nearly 4 mins) and the knock on effect of that is that I achieved my goal of sub-24 min 5km and sub-50min 10km. 

Properly chuffed! 
    Woohoo well done @joneve Great times. Always good when the PBs come without expecting. :)
    That's it. Runs all done now. Final bit of tapering done with a 4 and 2 miler this week! Race on Saturday which is round 3 of the grand slam covering the North Downs Way form Farnham to Ashford 103 miles approx. 10000 feet of elevation. This will be my 7th 100 miler and 3 in 3 months so looking forward to getting this one out of the way and can have a bit of a rest until the final one mid October.

=1143.7m/1840km so far this year.
    mcsdan said:
    That's it. Runs all done now. Final bit of tapering done with a 4 and 2 miler this week! Race on Saturday which is round 3 of the grand slam covering the North Downs Way form Farnham to Ashford 103 miles approx. 10000 feet of elevation. This will be my 7th 100 miler and 3 in 3 months so looking forward to getting this one out of the way and can have a bit of a rest until the final one mid October.

=1143.7m/1840km so far this year.
    Best of luck! Got my Tri Sunday, and haven't run since my PB-fest last sunday as Groin and leg were very achy, so didn't want risk it, but now paranoid I've not tapered enough so will hit the wall come race day! 
    Good luck for Sunday. :)
    Thanks mate, going to need it I think! 
    That was jolly hard work then. 

Still dehydrated after 5 hours 47mins and 52 seconds of continuous effort yesterday in baking sunshine. 

Somehow managed to come away with NO sunburn though, which is a miracle in itself. 

BUT, smashed my target time and got to cross the line with my little boy, so all in all a winning day! 

How'd you get on @mcsdan ?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've been running around 4 miles most mornings, barefoot at the water's edge, watching the sun come up on the Dominican coast. The gym wouldn't let me use the treadmill in my sandals, but in hindsight I was nuts to even ask, the beach is much better.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I've been running around 4 miles most mornings, barefoot at the water's edge, watching the sun come up on the Dominican coast. The gym wouldn't let me use the treadmill in my sandals, but in hindsight I was nuts to even ask, the beach is much better.
    This sounds epic and makes my 4.5 mile run through the local fields this morning a bit shit :D
    joneve said:
    This sounds epic and makes my 4.5 mile run through the local fields this morning a bit shit :D
    But then your regular run makes my regular run through the streets of Newport sound a bit shit! I may try parkrun tomorrow, in my limited experience the morning after tackling jet lag is ok, Sunday will be worse.
    5 miles this morning. Looking like I'll be doing Ironman Copenhagen next August, so going to try and keep my running consistent over the winter and build up my distance running. 
    5 miles through Newport, after 6 days off running. I was afraid I would be starting to lose a bit of fitness, but it was fine.
    5 miles through Newport, after 6 days off running. I was afraid I would be starting to lose a bit of fitness, but it was fine.
    this is always my worry after a few days off. 

Aim is to run at least 3 times a week now, even if they're 5km runs. But a 5 mile run with the dog 3 times a week would be ideal. 
    Well done guys on your runs :)

I had a knee issue with my race so had to drop at 65 miles. Shame because everything else felt fine and loads of energy. Knee was a bit achy going into it so expected some trouble. Despite working around the knee playing up from 8 miles in (muscle as opposed to bone/tendons) it eventually settled between 30-40 miles but lost too much time and at the 65 mile point had to withdraw albeit just under cut off - just. 

Ironic thing is that this just felt like a normal Sunday run and had very little impact except the knee. So fitness was all good.

These things happen! Can't get my grand slam now but will be doing the 4th race in the series anyway mid October. DNFs are part of the ultra scene and not made easier with doing 3 100 milers in 3 months. TBH much prefer just signing up for individual races - you can pull out before the race if any injuries/issues without affecting other races.

mcsdan said:
    Well done guys on your runs :)

I had a knee issue with my race so had to drop at 65 miles. Shame because everything else felt fine and loads of energy. Knee was a bit achy going into it so expected some trouble. Despite working around the knee playing up from 8 miles in (muscle as opposed to bone/tendons) it eventually settled between 30-40 miles but lost too much time and at the 65 mile point had to withdraw albeit just under cut off - just. 

Ironic thing is that this just felt like a normal Sunday run and had very little impact except the knee. So fitness was all good.

These things happen! Can't get my grand slam now but will be doing the 4th race in the series anyway mid October. DNFs are part of the ultra scene and not made easier with doing 3 100 milers in 3 months. TBH much prefer just signing up for individual races - you can pull out before the race if any injuries/issues without affecting other races.

Ah man, that sucks! Way to stay positive though! I guess you have to in situations like this. 

Another 5 miles clocked this morning. Really enjoying this running thing now :)