2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Rest day yesterday, 5 miles today. Oddly, my lower legs are aching, despite the fact I just spent 2 weeks running barefoot at the water's edge, often with an awkward incline to negotiate. I didn't think the hard wet sand was so much softer than tarmac.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2018
    I've nearly completed my C25K, I have one more 4.5k run to do then it's 5k.  The question is, where do I go from there?  Should I work on distance or speed, or possibly both?  I would happy to suggest that I'm not the running heroes that you guys are; however, I fancy my chances. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I've nearly completed my C25K, I have one more 4.5k run to do then it's 5k.  The question is, where do I go from there?  Should I work on distance or speed, or possibly both?  I would happy to suggest that I'm not the running heroes that you guys are; however, I fancy my chances. 
    Up to you entirely mate. Do you have any goals you'd like to reach? Like run a 10k or complete the Great North Run? If you enjoy running, I would personally look at increasing distance - always nice to say you can run a half marathon or even Marathon, if you're feeling brave enough.

10 years(ish!) ago when I first ran towards completing a 10km, I couldn't comprehend ever completing (or wanting to complete) a Marathon. I thought *maybe* I'd do a 1/2 one day. 

Now, I don't really have a choice if I want to complete an Ironman next year, so I've now got to look at increasing my running distance up to Marathon distance over the next 8-12 months. And I'm actually looking forward to it (again, something I NEVER thought I'd actually say). Just praying I can stay injury-free. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @joneve , I'm thinking about my next target being 5 miles, then getting up to 10k.  Would it be ok if I ran my usual three runs but adding 500meters a week eg go from 3 X 5k each week, to 3 X 5.5k the next week, and so on?
    Thanks @joneve , I'm thinking about my next target being 5 miles, then getting up to 10k.  Would it be ok if I ran my usual three runs but adding 500meters a week eg go from 3 X 5k each week, to 3 X 5.5k the next week, and so on?
    I'm no expert, but I'd say this is a very sensible suggestion - introduces distance slowly so your body can adapt (and the exact opposite of what I did, which is why I suffered with shin splints I think!) 

You can then start to aim at adding 1km a week and increasing your distance ever so slightly each run. If you feel like it's getting too much too fast - maintain a week or two at a set distance, then try and increase again.
    Kind off back into it, after a week off. 6 miles on Sunday, nearly 7 miles today. If I can keep up the distance, I think fewer longer runs may beat more shorter runs as a plan.
    Kind off back into it, after a week off. 6 miles on Sunday, nearly 7 miles today. If I can keep up the distance, I think fewer longer runs may beat more shorter runs as a plan.
    Good work. I did one 4 mile run last week - wasn't feeling it later in the week and then had a jam packed weekend.

I bit the bullet and dropped £500+ (!!!!) on Ironman Copenhagen registration yesterday :-|

So I now have 4 months to work on maintaining some level of fitness and maybe slightly increase my max run distance conditioning, so I've got a bit of a head start on being able to run a marathon, before starting the actual training plan in January.

I don't think it's hit me yet, but when it does, the realisation of what I need to do is going to come down on my like a tonne of bricks :D 
    Excellent! I hope the training goes well!
    Excellent! I hope the training goes well!
    Me too!! 
  • After a heavy sesh on Sunday, I managed 5.5k yesterday.  I'm really enjoying running now.  
    After a heavy sesh on Sunday, I managed 5.5k yesterday.  I'm really enjoying running now.  
    Great to hear mate! I need to get some consistency back, pronto and try to push through with the dog during the crap weather that's likely to arrive soon. 

Off to Devon for 2 weeks next week so hopefully I'll get a few miles in! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Doing my first organised half marathon on Sunday!

@Handsome_Chris hows the running going?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Doing my first organised half marathon on Sunday!

@Handsome_Chris hows the running going?
    Best of luck for tomorrow, you’ll smash it I’m sure. 

Only managed one 4 mile run in Devon, but it was hilly AF. 
  • The running is going great . Strava has advised me to calm the fox down, so I'm sticking at 5k for a month , then I'm going to edge it up . 

Please bear I'm mind that I'm coming back from Brixton from watching Garbage while writing this.  I'm trying to ease myself up to fantastic running while also shed pounds.  I'm loving the fact that the 40mins I was spending on the sofa is not as fun as the results of running 5k .I want to get up to knocking out. 10k runs left right and centre, but I know that I'm going to have to work up to that.

Anyone who wants to follow my progress and please feel free to berate me can see my work on the tFB Strava group.  
    The running is going great . Strava has advised me to calm the fox down, so I'm sticking at 5k for a month , then I'm going to edge it up . 

Please bear I'm mind that I'm coming back from Brixton from watching Garbage while writing this.  I'm trying to ease myself up to fantastic running while also shed pounds.  I'm loving the fact that the 40mins I was spending on the sofa is not as fun as the results of running 5k .I want to get up to knocking out. 10k runs left right and centre, but I know that I'm going to have to work up to that.

Anyone who wants to follow my progress and please feel free to berate me can see my work on the tFB Strava group.  
    What’s your full name? I’ll hunt you down on Strava
  • @joneve , I'm Mav on the tFB Strava group
  • Urgh. I've been feeling ropey for over a week so I skipped runs all last week . Tried a modest 5k today and got 2.75k into the run and sacked it.  I am still I'll (copyright The Smiths) but I don't want to fall off the running wagon.  I feel the longer I leave it, the harder it'll be to start again .
    Urgh. I've been feeling ropey for over a week so I skipped runs all last week . Tried a modest 5k today and got 2.75k into the run and sacked it.  I am still I'll (copyright The Smiths) but I don't want to fall off the running wagon.  I feel the longer I leave it, the harder it'll be to start again .
    I was reading my "Be Iron Fit" book the other week and they mention about injuries/illness stopping you from training and making you miss a session. They said it's best to forget about it/them, move on and just complete the next scheduled session after you're feeling better as trying to train when you're I'll ;) is only going to cause more problems and a few weeks off in the grand scheme of things isn't going to make a huge amount of difference to your progress. 

Get yourself right, then get back on it. The fact you tried to go out when you're still feeling bobbins tell me you don't lack the motivation to go for a run, so it's not like it'll be hard to drag yourself out, you might just feel a bit more "lung-y" for a run or two until you get back into a rhythm. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Yep, running/training lowers your immune system and if already unwell then can make it worse. If you do go out then just take it easy and shorter distance which will put less strain on immune system. Sometimes it gets the crap out of your system.  However you could also do something else like some yoga/stretching etc that will have a positive impact on your body/running without stressing the immune system too much. Above all rest and look after yourself. :)
  • Have started running again this summer after a 20yr gap.
    Hoping to do  my first parkrun in a couple of weekit.