Slim neck guitars

What's Hot
NalakNalak Frets: 0
I am relativity New to playing a guitar and like to play the blues. A lot of chord have the thumb fingering the lower e string. However I am unable to do this. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how was it solved. Do I need to look for a guitar with a very slim neck?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    I have a Gordon smith gs2 with a slim neck and id say its right up yr street.  A dream to play. Easy. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5077
    edited January 2018
    Keep practising and it will happen. You don’t need a slim neck guitar to do that. I have several thick necked guitars and I don’t have large hands, yet I can do the thumb over the bottom E absolutely fine. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nalak said:
    I am relativity New to playing a guitar and like to play the blues. A lot of chord have the thumb fingering the lower e string. However I am unable to do this. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how was it solved. Do I need to look for a guitar with a very slim neck?
    Which chords is it?
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    edited January 2018
    Weirdly I find a fat neck helps me to do it. This technique took me an age to get down
  • I think just a matter of practice unfortunately I never really struggled with that technique, but I was embarrassingly bad at Barre chords for AGES. 

To answer the question, most Yamahas have slim necks & are VERY playable. It's a bonus that they represent excellent value for money throughout their range. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I have thin hands and long fingers. I had to put up for sale my thin neck as I get cramp from playing with all the space between my palm and the neck. A thick neck relaxes my grip. I only play with the thumb on the low E.
    Keep at it and you'll get there. Try the Hey Joe type bass string run exercises to get those thumb muscles working.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    The guitar teacher of my youth used to hate me doing the thumb over the neck thang and used to hit it with a ruler or whatever he had to hand.  He was right im a way though as it is bad technique in some genres. But it doesn't have to be set in stone as a way to play electric guitar. Kind of looks cooler though I guess ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    You might find it easier to do if you play standing up, as it changes the angle between your arm and the neck.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7819
    No need to ever put the thumb over the neck if its uncomfrtable. 
    Can anyone say which chords it is that require this?

I use my thumb to mute the E string but dont think I ever use it to fret.
    Normally it’s for playing barre chords more comfortably, i.e. without having to barre them with your index finger, which puts strain on your wrist.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I've got tiny short fingers and I've never been able to do the thumb-over thing.
    I don't think anyone's ever noticed that particular disability.
    On the odd occasions I've tried it I've found it very uncomfortable and fairly pointless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Check out a Squier Affinity Telecaster, they have really slim necks. Too slim for my chunky fingers.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1980
    Wide thin necks make it harder to play 'thumb over the top'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If it's just a different way to play barre chords - and you find that way difficult - then just play barre chords normally.

I'm quite surprised there is teaching material that advocates using the thumb to be honest.
  • It's not essential technique for playing blues or any other style. I would suggest playing whatever it is in a way which is most comfortable for you. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 615
    I thought if you wanted to play the real authentic styles such as Hendrix then you are going to need the Hendrix style F 'barre' chord (for example) using a thumb rather than a standard E formation so that you can use a hammer on for the G to A on the G string.

I am curious if all players, with all physiques can make this comfortable - or even practically achieve it! Personally it gets messy for me so I'd use the other types of frills for the given artist and look to create an alternative: If you can't hide it make a feature of it ;-) 

Chet Atkins liked piano type inversions apparently so had the ludicrous stretches in things like Mr Sandman. So despite the above for some strange reason I am happy to try and struggle with those even though Mr Chet Atkins has to drop his shoulder to perform those. Needing to drop shoulders can't be good can it? Unless he does it completely relaxed??

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the thin neck theory can be misleading. I find it easier and more comfortable with a fuller, more rounded neck as it fills your hand better when you wrap it around the neck to get the thumb on those bass notes.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    Surely thinner necks are best for thumb on the back, rather than over the top.  That’s the way they make me play.... and I normally do hook my thumb over the top
    edited January 2018
    I’m making the assumption that the OP is talking about a narrower neck when he says “slim”.