Any Recommendations for second hand electric circa £1000\?

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
Hi

Although I know a bit about acoustics I am new to the electric guitar, I am looking to invest in a second hand electric in the £1000 range. The only brands I have heard of are Fender and Gibson, but I am aware that there are other less famous brands that may be better value.

I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to post any ideas about what make, model and method of purchase I should be looking at. My tastes are  stuff like Led Zeppelin, Dead Kennedys, Bowie, Guns N Roses, Cream and U2.

I don't think I am keen on buying new, abut would be keen to know what the risks of buying used are

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    With that budget the world really is your oyster. From the Big 2 you’re well into US Strat and Tele territory and knocking on the door of Deluxe and even Custom Shop models; a bit of shopping around should find you a Les Paul. 

There are hordes of other less famous but equal equal or better quality makers out there. Personally I think it’s hard to beat a Strat for versatility but there are as many opinions on this as there are guitarists. Your rock tastes might better suit a LP type.

Best advice I can give is to get out and try as many different guitars as possible, gradually refining your search criteria as you establish your preferences as to pickups, neck profile, fingerboard, body shape etc etc. Happy hunting!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Looking at the list of bands you like you won’t go wrong with a Les Paul.

£1k should get one with a bit of shopping around and bartering.

A bit less if you go Japanese.

Previously known as stevebrum
    • what @JerkMoans   ; said.
    • You should also be able to get some respectable new stuff for that money, for example Yamaha Revstar or LP studio
    • other s/h ideas: Yamaha SG2000 or a derivative
    Have fun looking :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7815
    edited January 2018
    Les Paul if you're a traditionalist and don't mind shopping around for decent weight or Prs S2 singlecut if you want a sleeker version of the same thing. 

Something inbetween would be a PRS S2 custom 22 with a tremolo. 

If you want something a bit different then look at the upper end Yamaha revstars, Gibson SG's (if you like a small body) PRS Mira/starla s2 

Risks of buying used is the confusion of vast amount of models out there and whether you are getting a good price. Then also possible fretting etc issues you might not be able to spot (rare but it happens)
  • There’s a Schecter Custom Shop USA PT on here for under £1000. That’s a very versatile guitar and may cover all of your basses (no affiliation, just drooled over it a few times)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Out of curiosity what do people think about SUHR? I've never actually played one, but they look beautiful. Is it worth trying a second hand one out?
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Suhr make great guitars. I've not seen many at 1k second hand though.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    All lot of people seem to like suhr a lot, I’m not one of them though they just seem a bit too perfect for me which is a strange criticism I know. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    I'd get a hardtail.  As your first electric, getting one with a trem bridge will just annoy you how tricky it is to tune it compared to a fixed bridge.  So, avoid most fender strats for a start.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7815
    I'd get a hardtail.  As your first electric, getting one with a trem bridge will just annoy you how tricky it is to tune it compared to a fixed bridge.  So, avoid most fender strats for a start.  
    Dont be silly
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844

Eh! What traditional trem have you been using? 
  • Cleg83Cleg83 Frets: 2
    I've got a lovely Gretsch for sale for £900. 

May not be what you're after but it's a beauty.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    You should find a used PRS CE22 or 24 for less than £1k. Not usually very bling but well built and great sounding guitars.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    If you're new to electric guitar, I'd suggest you get down the guitar shop and try as many as you can, find what's right for you and not what your favourite players choose to play.

Then buy a Tele.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    proggy said:
    If you're new to electric guitar, I'd suggest you get down the guitar shop and try as many as you can, find what's right for you and not what your favourite players choose to play.

Then buy a Tele.
    That sounds like a good idea. The problem is I've got a bit of an embarassment  problem with going into Guitar Guitar and spending an hour trying out all their guitars with no intention of buying, i do't want to buy new and I find their second hand offerings overpriced, at least as far as acoustics are concerned
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    If you can get to @ellwood, you could well find yourself with a banging Lester. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3281
    antifash said:
    If you can get to @ellwood, you could well find yourself with a banging Lester. 
    This^ 

Or, take a look at my Taylor T3b that will provide some bridge between acoustics and electrics in terms of the way it feels despite being an electric. It’d also do a damn good job of a number of those tones you mention.
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/119512/for-sale-honey-burst-taylor-t3b-thinline-with-improved-pics#latest

For what it’s worth I’ve always found guitar guitar very hospitable and open to me trying a range of guitars even when I’m open about about not buying then and there. I really shouldn’t worry about it if I was you, I’m sure they’d rather you try stuff and then potentially return to buy.
  • Get yourself a 2nd hand Peavey Wolfgang and never look back. You'll have change too. The Musicman Axis is similar, but not sure how much they go for 2nd hand.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12008
    I'd advise firstly making sure you know whether you prefer strats or Les Pauls

Personally I don't like the feel of Les Pauls, so I use PRS, Suhr or Tom Anderson designs for those sounds (which all have more of a strat sort of feel: the PRS is probably halfway, the others more of a strat feel)

If you have patience you will sometimes see a Tom Anderson or Suhr for £1400 or less, but it's rare

I've seen plenty of Les paul standards for £1000 - £1100

If you are completely new to electrics, ensure you get a professional check/setup, especially if buying new, Gibsons in particular often have badly cut nuts, which can drastically affect playing pleasure

My opinion is that Teles and strat have a more acoustic feel (which I guess is why country players all have Teles), not sure if that is what OP wants or not

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
     DrCornelius said:
    There’s a Schecter Custom Shop USA PT on here for under £1000. That’s a very versatile guitar and may cover all of your basses (no affiliation, just drooled over it a few times)

Yeah, that's mine. And I agree, you should buy it