Any Recommendations for second hand electric circa £1000\?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72708
    You can't play Dead Kennedys on a PRS, Anderson or Suhr.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Unless I have missed it there has been no mention of an amp in this thread.
    Does the OP have budget separate to his £1,000 for an amp & the other bits & pieces he will probably need ?
    For £1,000 he could get a very good guitar, new or used.
    For around £600 he could get a very good guitar, new or used, plus have enough budget left for a practice amp etc.
    I looked at a lot of different guitars around a month ago when I wanted to upgrade from the cheap Les Paul copy I was struggling with & found that once you went to around £500 for a new guitar a whole world of options opened up.
    I ended up buying a used guitar from a member here though at considerably less than the guitar cost new.
    He even threw in a hard case, lead, strap & a few picks  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    is that a good, or a bad thing?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72708
    ICBM said:
    Bad! Brilliant songwriting and surprisingly clever guitar parts.

Obviously you can, technically, but it's just wrong...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Bad! Brilliant songwriting and surprisingly clever guitar parts.

Obviously you can, technically, but it's just wrong...

:)
    I definitely heard someone do "Holiday in Cambodia" on piano somewhere.  (On the John Peel show, must have been decades ago!)  So I think DK in concert attire is a perfectly good idea.
  • fair enough. I never liked the Dead Kennedys enough to play any of their songs on any type of guitar ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Guitar Guitar are knocking out some Les Paul Studios for £899 at the moment. If I were you I’d rip their arm off!!!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    What are the neck finishes on those les paul studios?  
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Gibson Midtown will cover all and more .Semi hollow , twin Burstbuckers ,classy act .A grand will a new one or an even flasher used one .My one is perfect .
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Buy a Reverend and pocket £250. Marvellous guitars for the money 

• Get. Levinson Blade Delta Classic. It’s their take on a tele but has an active boat that when you choose the mid boost, takes you into Les Paul territory so covers a wide range of tones. Well within your budget and great build quality 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    When I made the jump from acoustic to electric it was the Les Paul shape I gravitated towards.  Purely because the body is sort of like a shrunken cutaway acoustics and the fretboard radius is flatter and wider than the Strat.

I just didn't 'get' Strats and Tele's at all.  It was actually lifting a Strat when I was younger and had been playing acoustic that put me off electrics...I felt like I was going to break it. I actually bought a PRS SC245 (proper US made model) for just over a £1000 used and it got me going.  I then went the Les Paul route.