Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar won't tune

What's Hot

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited February 2018
    Owain said:
    What do you mean with tuning to the other strings to get them on pitch?
    To tune a guitar using the other strings : If you can tune the string nearest your chin with the electronic tuner,  put your finger on the fifth fret on that string (called the sixth string). The open string next to it (the fifth string) must sound the same pitch. Adjust the fifth string tuning peg if nesessary.

Put your finger on the fifth fret of the fifth string and that string should sound the same pitch as the open fourth string. Adjust the fourth string tuning peg if necessary, 

Put your finger on the fifth fret of the fourth string and that string should sound the same pitch as the open third string. Adjust the third string tuning peg if necessary.

Put your finger on the fourth fret of the third string and that string should sound the same pitch as the open second string. Adjust the second string tuning peg if necessary.

Put your finger on the fifth fret of the second string and that string should sound the same pitch as the open first string. Adjust the first string tuning peg if necessary, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    In no particular order.
    1. The stock machineheads on PRS SE series guitars are Jin Ho imitations of Gotoh or Schaller sealed gear designs...

These aren't stock.  They're aftermarket locking tuners.  Some might say a considerable improvement...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OwainOwain Frets: 13
    JerkMoans said:
    Just seen this. 

You are aware that the guitar has locking tuners? 

For all sorts of very good reasons relating to neck tension and the risk of damage I loosened all the strings off before shipping to you. 

You quite sure you're using the tuners the right way?  Plenty of information on the web about them.  See eg:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/guitar-essentials-are-you-using-locking-tuners-the-wrong-way

If you want to chat further you have my details.  Might have been nice if you contacted me first before engaging in public histrionics, but let's see if we can get things sorted without any need for any more of the above, yeah?

I just watched the videos, I need to undo the strings, and then redo them to fit the strings tighter? and then tune the guitar? 

I apologise for the very beginner question, I am new to the game, and apologise for calling you out too, but in this day and age where conning does happen, a person cannot be too careful, as I'm sure you see everyday in your work as a lawyer. I also have anxiety and am going through a bad patch at the moment. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4054
    edited February 2018
    Owain said:
    I just watched the videos, I need to undo the strings, and then redo them to fit the strings tighter? and then tune the guitar?
    If you can't suss it out then have a guitar lesson or two.  Strings are really easy once you know how but might seem a mystery if you don't.  Locking tuners are brilliant (I've added them to all my guitars) but not everyone cans suss them at first.  And a couple of lessons will get you up and running. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    @Owain ;

1) JerkMoans is not making any sort of misleading claims. That was my guitar and it was all fine

2) They are locking tuners. Are you turning the peg on the side or the wheel on the back? Because if you have turned the wheel on the back you have possibly unlocked the string, so it isn’t gripped by the tuner and can’t tune up no matter how many times you try.

Suggest you tighten up the wheel on the back of the machine head as tight as it will go. Then use the head in the side of the guitar to tension the string.

Let me know if that works
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

ellwood said:
    @Owain ;

1) JerkMoans is not making any sort of misleading claims. That was my guitar and it was all fine

2) They are locking tuners. Are you turning the peg on the side or the wheel on the back? Because if you have turned the wheel on the back you have possibly unlocked the string, so it isn’t gripped by the tuner and can’t tune up no matter how many times you try.

Suggest you tighten up the wheel on the back of the machine head as tight as it will go. Then use the head in the side of the guitar to tension the string.

Let me know if that works
    By the way - I made the same mistake on my first set of locking tuners - we all learn. But as @JerkMoans says all you had to do was message him..
    With locking tuners you don't wrap the string around the peg 2 or 3 times like a regular tuner.  You do as follows:

1. Undo the thumbscrew on the back of the tuner a little.
    2. Pull the string through the tuner finger tight.
    3. Still holding the string, tighten the locking mechanism.
    4. The string should now be locked in the tuner.
    5. Now tune up the guitar as you normally would with regular tuners.

Rather than having the string wrapped around the peg multiple times, it's actually about 1/2 a wrap.maximum, and the theory is that that massively reduces tuning issues caused by slipping of the string on the peg.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    edited February 2018
    I sense enormous potential for newbie confusion and/or pilot error. For example, repeatedly trying the machinehead in one direction then in the opposite direction is likely to fatigue the string at the point where it bends to pass through the tuner post. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Grunfeld said:
    If you can't suss it out then have a guitar lesson or two.  Strings are really easy once you know how but might seem a mystery if you don't.  Locking tuners are brilliant (I've added them to all my guitars) but not everyone cans suss them at first.  And a couple of lessons will get you up and running. 
    I can do that, thank you. 

@JerkMoans I apologise for overreacting. 

@ellwood I will, thank you for your advice, 

ellwood said:
    ellwood said: @Owain ;

Let me know if that works By the way - I made the same mistake on my first set of locking tuners - we all learn. But as @JerkMoans says all you had to do was message him.. You made the same mistake with your 1st set of them? 

ellwood said:
    By the way - I made the same mistake on my first set of locking tuners - we all learn. But as @JerkMoans says all you had to do was message him..
    You made the same mistake with your 1st time with them too? 
    Owain said:

@JerkMoans I apologise for overreacting. 

No problem.  Think nothing of it.  Now get it tuned up and play the crap out of it :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I sense enormous potential for newbie confusion and/or pilot error. For example, repeatedly trying the machinehead in one direction then in the opposite direction is likely to fatigue the string at the point where it bends to pass through the tuner post. 
    Yeah I think that's what's happening too. Just didn't understand how to use these tuners and then getting confused. 

JerkMoans said:
    With locking tuners you don't wrap the string around the peg 2 or 3 times like a regular tuner.  You do as follows:

1. Undo the thumbscrew on the back of the tuner a little.
    2. Pull the string through the tuner finger tight.
    3. Still holding the string, tighten the locking mechanism.
    4. The string should now be locked in the tuner.
    5. Now tune up the guitar as you normally would with regular tuners.

Rather than having the string wrapped around the peg multiple times, it's actually about 1/2 a wrap.maximum, and the theory is that that massively reduces tuning issues caused by slipping of the string on the peg.
    I can do that with this one, thank you. 
    Owain said:

ellwood said:
    You made the same mistake with your 1st time with them too? 
    Yep. I’d never used them, and didn’t have anyone showing me how they worked. Once I figured it out I loved having locking tuners!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2815
    Great , it’s just like North and South Korea at the Olympics

i feel suitably humbled

Stick around and welcome @Owain ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ellwood said:
    Yep. I’d never used them, and didn’t have anyone showing me how they worked. Once I figured it out I loved having locking tuners!
    Thanks for letting me know that you had the same problem too and that it isn't just me who had this problem. 

I'm lucky that I have people to show me how to use them. But yeah thanks for letting me know it isn't just me that got this problem and felt like this. 
    sev112 said:
    Great , it’s just like North and South Korea at the Olympics

i feel suitably humbled

Stick around and welcome @Owain ;
    Thank you, and I apologise for bother caused to everyone
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Owain. Don’t be afraid to pop down to a guitar store with it and ask them to give you the very basics of restringing etc. Most guitar store employees would be happy to help you out and show you what’s what, assuming you maybe buy a set of strings ;) 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Owain. Don’t be afraid to pop down to a guitar store with it and ask them to give you the very basics of restringing etc. Most guitar store employees would be happy to help you out and show you what’s what, assuming you maybe buy a set of strings ;) 
    I will try to use the advice people have given me here in this thread 1st, but if that doesn't work I will do that, thank you  =) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27806
    @owain - sorry, but we don't generally delete threads here, and I reinstated the content that you deleted.

Understand that its embarrassing, but someone else reading this thread in future might be saved the embarrassment and aggravation by learning from your situation.  And, as others have pointed out, you're not the first (and won't be the last) to have the experience.

And another welcome to the forum from me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15711
    if it helps the OP any, I know a woodwind player of some 40 years +experience who a, doesn't know his flute is out of tune and b, doesn't know how to fix it. It's got so bad that when I play with him any time, I tune my guitar to his flute, it's easier and less painful than trying to get him to retune.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom