PU Switch Hack - is there a better way?

What's Hot
I did this as I hit the switch when I strum. (No I can't train myself out of it).

I mostly play pos 2 (lower pic) but I'd like to play pos 1 more (right now I'd just knock it to pos 2), and also go to pos 5 without fiddling with the screw/pick.

Is there a better way to sort this please? This apart I love the guitar, it's a keeper.

Ta.

Here's a pre-hack of whole guitar which may help re layouts etc. Thanks.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8ioAAOSwHLNZQlJ6/s-l1600.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Learn to strum properly. That would sort everything!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    So is it that you only want those three positions and less chance of activating them by accident?

I'd see if you can do it with one of the DiMarzio 3-way 4-pole toggle switches, mounted at right angles to your strumming so that it doesn't move even if you do hit it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Thank you Sporky. (No I'd like to be able to use the whole range of positions).
  • What about bending the shaft of the switch away from the bridge, towards the edge of the guitar?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    pmbomb said:
    Thank you Sporky. (No I'd like to be able to use the whole range of positions).
    Hmm. Trickier then. A rotary switch would solve it, but might not suit you and you'd need a new scratchplate or it'd be messy.

Maybe a 5-way with stronger detents? @ICBM may know which ones are least knockable.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    edited February 2018
    How about reversing the order of the switch (ie pos 1 is where pos 5 normally is)?

Alternatively, change to a 3 mini-toggle arrangement (on-off for each pickup)
    Some good suggestions there thanks folks. Yeah offsetting the toggle might help. Even reducing the height might - it's the merest brush of fingertips (I don't even feel it, I know it's happened by hearing) to change it. So good point from mistercharlie too.

Is this a tall switch, compared say to Fenders? I make it about 23mm vertical.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Yes, the switch tip does stick up further than a Fender one. It should look like this:

http://www.stratcat.biz/images/fender-switch-tips-l.jpg

- and will fit slightly further down the shaft as well, overlapping the 'step'.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need a custom pickguard with the switch at a straighter angle between the volume and tone pots and maybe the volume control moved up a bit if there isn't room, or if you don't use the tone pot, down where the tone control is.

I find this an issue on Strats too - my favourite position is the middle, and my least favourite the bridge+middle... guess what always happens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    ICBM said:

I find this an issue on Strats too - my favourite position is the middle, and my least favourite the bridge+middle... guess what always happens.
    that's nature's way of telling you that you're wrong :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    normula1 said:

that's nature's way of telling you that you're wrong :)
    Actually it's fairly easy to fix anyway - just replace the bridge pickup with something much hotter, and then the bridge+middle sound becomes usable and it doesn't matter if you get it by accident ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

haha the switch is fine it's the pickups that are in the wrong place.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    pmbomb said:
    I can't train myself out of it.
    You are a drummer. I hereby claim my five Pounds.
    Learn to strum properly. That would sort everything!
    This suggestion may seem mean spirited but it is no less true for that.

The selector switch on the OP guitar is 50-65mm away from the high E string. There is nothing to strum down there. It is wasted energy. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Funkfingers said:

The selector switch on the OP guitar is 50-65mm away from the high E string. There is nothing to strum down there. It is wasted energy.
    Have you come across this new-fangled cultural phenomenon called “rock ‘n’ roll” yet?

;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    Have you come across this new-fangled cultural phenomenon called “rock ‘n’ roll” yet?
    Wot? That Louis Jordan fella? It'll never last. Mark my words. Dem ugly white folks just won't buy it.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:

;)
    Word.

I'm tying to jump about in my bedroom playing Rockin' In The Free World. Not perform brain surgery.
  • pmbomb said:
    I can't train myself out of it.
    You are a drummer. I hereby claim my five Pounds.
    Learn to strum properly. That would sort everything!
    This suggestion may seem mean spirited but it is no less true for that.

It wasn't intended to be mean. I've had to adjust my strumming style when playing different guitars due to this issue. But the human body is good at learning, even if it takes a long time. 
    for sure, you're not wrong. I'll think about it but right now I prefer to adapt the guitar to me rather than vice versa. I like to play with abandon if I want to, not have to keep thinking "don't hit the switch don't hit the switch".

Ta for suggestions all.
    I find the PRS/Hamer 'behind the bridge' selector switch position the best - it's the only one I've found that I can hit every time between beats without looking, but never hit by accident.

That doesn't help on this guitar though!

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm exactly the opposite in thst I really wish the switch on a PRS custom was more like the 305 or a Strat as I find it a real ballache to reach over the trem arm, so much so I blocked the trem off.
    Is that a new PRS Custom with the lever switch? I could see that being a massive pain, it’s right under where the arm hangs.

I meant the old ones with the toggle switch which is really behind the bridge.